[Mini News] Just as WWDC is about to start......Microsoft compares the Surface Pro 4 against the macbookair 13" and tears apple a new one???!!!!

AlTech

POLL  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you go see in California?

• Apple at WWDC
    • Microsoft at their After party
    • Both
    • I can't go to either
    • I don't want to go to either

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Which means they might believe it! So win win.....

Oh I realized how awkward that was......

get it? win win? Cos windows is a win win for everybody :D!

eh, Windows is not always good.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

54 minutes ago, LukeTim said:

The Macbook wins by virtue of not running Windows.

It's running OSX which is way worse then windows lol. OSX is the console OS of PCs.

8 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

PLOT TWIST!!!!

They're also discounting it!

LOL

8 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

It's running OSX which is way worse then windows lol. OSX is the console OS of PCs.

for certain things i like OSX alot better, for example for programming, idk what it is about macs and osx, but the combination of the trackpad, the weight and the OS make the macbook air the perfect programming machine for me :)

1 hour ago, mikat said:

for certain things i like OSX alot better, for example for programming, idk what it is about macs and osx, but the combination of the trackpad, the weight and the OS make the macbook air the perfect programming machine for me :)

Ewwwwwwww Programming on a dual core................

That's disgusting man.....

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

My buddy and I could code with Notepad if it comes down to it... Just saying. >_>"

7 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Funny enough, if you go to hackathons or the lecture halls of CS programs you will see many MBPs in the audience, and you're only going to start seeing more. According to Stackoverflow's Developer Survey 2016, 26.2% of respondents used Mac OS X and 52.1% used some form of Microsoft OS, which is a big change vs. 2015 in which 21.5% of respondents used Mac OS X and 54.5% used Windows. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

8 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Comparing a new product to something that was released almost a year ago is comparing apples (no pun intended) to oranges.

Both were released almost a year ago at this point......

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Well that's great. Dedicated GPU in such product is alos amazing just to point out.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On June 13, 2016 at 7:57 AM, AluminiumTech said:

Because you're assuming everybody here speaks and understands fluent English?

If you can't understand or aren't sure you understood something, you should ask, not make assumptions and then blame the other person ;)

23 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

For about 6 months I was programming on a 2007 netbook with a single core 800mhz atom and 2gb ram. Not the best experience, but at least Lubuntu ran decently on it.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

17 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Well, it's not impossible. My laptop has a dual-core CPU (granted, a 35W part instead of a 15W part) and it's perfectly capable of handling heavier tasks. Won't handle them as quickly as a quad-core CPU will, but for things like virtual machines it's fine.

17 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

So you don't think the Surface Pro 4 is suitable for programming on either? It has a dual core too. 

i7-6650U

3 hours ago, FakezZ said:

If you can't understand or aren't sure you understood something, you should ask, not make assumptions and then blame the other person ;)

I was saying some people on here (not me) might not understand everything you say.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

So you don't think the Surface Pro 4 is suitable for programming on either? It has a dual core too. 

i7-6650U

I wouldn't do serious programming on it.........

Maybe small programs I make BUT NOT bigger programs. If you making the next Google Chrome then don't use a dual core.......

1 hour ago, mikat said:

why? atm i only program in html/css/js & node.js :P

*sighs*, fair enough!.

2 hours ago, Daring said:

Well, it's not impossible. My laptop has a dual-core CPU (granted, a 35W part instead of a 15W part) and it's perfectly capable of handling heavier tasks. Won't handle them as quickly as a quad-core CPU will, but for things like virtual machines it's fine.

Well my laptop uses a 15w part and it practically never turbos.....

my desktop uses an 84w part (yeah bring it on!) and it always turbos and is super amazing for programming

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I was saying some people on here (not me) might not understand everything you say.

I wouldn't do serious programming on it.........

Maybe small programs I make BUT NOT bigger programs. If you making the next Google Chrome then don't use a dual core.......

says LTT resident software engineer /s

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I do appreciate MS's attempts at marketing, even though they seem really bad at it some times...

But what I don't like is meaningless statements like this: "50% faster"

50% faster at what? Most casual things - email, internet, writing etc there is going to no difference. And then if you're talking about doing heavy workloads then those kinds of people probably wouldn't be getting an MBA anyway so the comparison is moot. If I was MS, I would be targeting the Macbook Pro users - they are the ones who are more likely to need some extra power and may actually see the benefit of a Surface. 

48 minutes ago, daniielrp said:

I do appreciate MS's attempts at marketing, even though they seem really bad at it some times...

But what I don't like is meaningless statements like this: "50% faster"

50% faster at what? Most casual things - email, internet, writing etc there is going to no difference. And then if you're talking about doing heavy workloads then those kinds of people probably wouldn't be getting an MBA anyway so the comparison is moot. If I was MS, I would be targeting the Macbook Pro users - they are the ones who are more likely to need some extra power and may actually see the benefit of a Surface. 

Problem is that a MacBook Pro is faster than a Surface Pro 4. Now if we're talking Surface Book it's arguable with GPU in favor of Surface and CPU in favor of Macbook.

1 hour ago, Trixanity said:

Problem is that a MacBook Pro is faster than a Surface Pro 4. Now if we're talking Surface Book it's arguable with GPU in favor of Surface and CPU in favor of Macbook.

the GPU would also be in favour of the Macbook, a 940m got nothing against a M370x

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

What a horrible comparison. Am i supposed to magically know how big the screen of the sp4 is? Why is the display being measured in megapixels?

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 6:23 AM, LukeTim said:

The Macbook wins by virtue of not running Windows.

I'm not sure how that makes it win by any stretch.

Why the hell do people hate Windows so much? Windows is fuckin' fantastic, it probably has to do something with the user if anything.

10 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

the GPU would also be in favour of the Macbook, a 940m got nothing against a M370x

I was comparing it to the 13" MBP with Iris graphics. The 15" would be a bit unfair.

2 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

I was comparing it to the 13" MBP with Iris graphics. The 15" would be a bit unfair.

same price, surface book would even be 100 more expensive, seems fair to me 

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

same price, surface book would even be 100 more expensive, seems fair to me 

I knew you'd say that but you're paying for the form factor on the Surface. It's actually a very Apple-esque way of pricing things, so it shouldn't be surprising. You're not necessarily paying for raw horsepower. Otherwise you could just carry a 5 kg gaming laptop around if it's all about dem flops.

11 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

I'm not sure how that makes it win by any stretch.

Why the hell do people hate Windows so much? Windows is fuckin' fantastic, it probably has to do something with the user if anything.

If MacOS had every game on it, I would use it

(and by extension the hardware I wanted too)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii