Nvidia is no longer interested in making mobile SoCs

Djole123

With new Pascal GPU's counting down, Nvidia is having a really good time. But because of it, it's no longer intrested in making mobile SoCs.

This is not a rumor, because the Nvidia CEO said:

“We are no longer interested in that market. Anybody can build smartphones, and we’re happy to enjoy these devices, but we’ll let someone else build them.”

That would mean no more Tegra chips and even a new Nvidia Shield is questionable.

And as you might know, Tegra K1 was one of the fastest SoC's, but since it was edged out by the Apple A8X soon, Nvidia decided to give up.

I think this is a good step; they are good at making GPUs, and they should be making only GPUs.

Source:

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-longer-interested-making-mobile-socs/

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

1 minute ago, Djole123 said:

Great, they have more time to work on drool-worthy new GPUs :P

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

2 minutes ago, deviant88 said:

they have more time to think on how to sell you 1000$ GPUs that are worth 400$

Especially to overseas customers :( I feel the pain.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

they proved they can make high performance cpus with denver, they just need to work on tdp, if they just put some more effort, time, and money into the cpu's they could've did decently well

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Does this mean no more Shield products, or are they just going to use someone elses SoC?

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

They didnt say no more Tegra. they said no more mobile SoCs. IIRC this was said in context with the Tegra/Pascal chips for automotive. NV will keep making Tegras, but will not restrict them to 5W, but rather make them better, and use them in stuff like Shields, car systems, etc.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

2 minutes ago, LukaP said:

They didnt say no more Tegra. they said no more mobile SoCs. IIRC this was said in context with the Tegra/Pascal chips for automotive. NV will keep making Tegras, but will not restrict them to 5W, but rather make them better, and use them in stuff like Shields, car systems, etc.

Hey Luka, long time no see ;)

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

13 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

That would mean no more Tegra chips and even a new Nvidia Shield is questionable.

no

last I recall they put Tegra in some cars - what he means that SoCs they built won't end up in phones or tablets

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Hey Luka, long time no see ;)

indeed ;)

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

no

last I recall they put Tegra in some cars - what he means that SoCs they built won't end up in phones or tablets

Exactly. Cant wait to see what they can do with denver+ in a more relaxed TDP environment.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

4 minutes ago, mikat said:

that's for other stuff

they use Tegra to power the graphics of the dashboard and other on-board instruments

the auto industry (and not only) has the potential to ship millions of units / year, while the market for Tegra powered mobile devices is smaller

1 hour ago, Flowey said:

-snip-

Hopefully not Qualcomms solutions (Snapdragon 820 o-o)... those are present everywhere and would literally be underwhelming for a shield device, considering theyr current performance! An Apple A10X would work well but the "not IOS" thing is a problem. Mediatek is horrible at implementing gpus in mobile cpus and Samsung is between Qualcomm and Mediatek... Dayum!? Well, would be cool to get a dual Adreno 530 solution tough eh :)? I know its not happening tough..

Groomlake Authority

realistically, we're getting at the point that you might just be able to put a mobile gpu in a tablet/smartphone lol. The GTX 930 had a TDP of 25 watts there was even a variant at 12. That was on 28 nm. In 16, we're probably talking about 10-15 for the same performance with a cut down version in the 6 to 8.

3 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

realistically, we're getting at the point that you might just be able to put a mobile gpu in a tablet/smartphone lol. The GTX 930 had a TDP of 25 watts there was even a variant at 12. That was on 28 nm. In 16, we're probably talking about 10-15 for the same performance with a cut down version in the 6 to 8.

I mean the K1 had a 192core gpu

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Reading Nvidia's words, it sounds like they will re-purpose Tegra for something else, which is another way of saying "We have failed in the mobile market with our SoC that was made to compete in the mobile market."

Rest in Peace Tegra.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

:( 

I was looking forward to a "Tegra P1" with 384 CUDA cores, or what ever the extrapolation would be :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

not really a surprise tegra was a huge money sink for nvidia, and it didnt sell, diversifying portfolio isnt working great so far for them.

even deep learning might turn up a flop, tesla hires john keller to make them their own chip, and google pops up with their TPU 7 years ahead in perf/watt, this market might not be as big as nvidia thinks, and competition might be just bigger than what they anticipated couple years back.

Sigh... It was such a powerful mobile solution its depressing just to hear Xd! Last Tegra X1 devices were both the Pixel C and Shield Tv :/. At least it ended well i supose.

Groomlake Authority

Look on the bright side - if what happened to the laptop cards is anything to go by, we'll soon have the same GPU in everything from tablets to your desktop :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

14 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Look on the bright side - if what happened to the laptop cards is anything to go by, we'll soon have the same GPU in everything from tablets to your desktop :D

and it also settles the issue between linux and nvidia optimus :P

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

and it also settles the issue between linux and nvidia optimus :P

how?