If you could put $100 Billion towards any human pursuit, what would it be?

Virtual01

If you could drop $100 Billion on anything you want related to driving humanity forward, what would it be? Assume the money would fund the worlds leading figures in whatever field you give it to. Try to be as specific as possible.

I believe that whether humans are accelerating climate change or not (the source of climate change arguments) is irrelevant. The climate has been changing since before humans, has changed during humans existence, and will continue to change after humans cease to exist. Therefore, I believe it to be necessary to build a climate control system for Earth. A system capable of actively controlling the climate to keep it in a human livable situation, otherwise, humans cannot be guaranteed indefinite survival (well, atleast until the sun starts to explode).

I would use the funds to start the system (I actually have a few ideas about the beginnings of such a system, that are nothing new really).

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

How about dividing it equally between every human on the planet? 100 billion / 10 billion (higher number than actual) = 10 billion bucks for all!

Linus is my fetish.

9 minutes ago, Bhav said:

How about dividing it equally between every human on the planet? 100 billion / 10 billion (higher number than actual) = 10 billion bucks for all!

More like ten bucks for all...

Quite selfish, but I'd invest in a way to remold one's body in it's entirety to one's choosing, or barring that, a method to transfer one's consciousness to a donor (probably brain-dead) body.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

7 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

More like ten bucks for all...

Quite selfish, but I'd invest in a way to remold one's body in it's entirety to one's choosing, or barring that, a method to transfer one's consciousness to a donor (probably brain-dead) body.

I'm amazing at maths.

Linus is my fetish.

17 minutes ago, Bhav said:

I'm amazing at maths.

That $100 billion could be thrown in your education, and you would probably still give that same answer. xD

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Food/clean-water & Health to 100% of people also everyone gets a home with clean free electricity ,

then we wait to see people become worse as we realize people don't necessarily do bad things out of daily needs, we're just bad from the beginning :ph34r:

Details separate people.

i would put 35 billion towards quantum computers, 35 billion towards space travel and keep the last 30 billion for my self to make my own (private)companies

EDIT: actually i would put all 100 billion towards my own companies to specialize in quantum computers, space travel, and anything else i fell like

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

I can't decide between helping slow and eventually stop climate change or funding NASA. I'll do both 50 billion to each.

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

I'd put 75% of the money into space travel. And the rest into agricultural research

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

10 hours ago, Bhav said:

I'm amazing at maths.

Yeah, I can tell. You support 'Brexit' :P

Hmm, I think research for alternative fuels and renewable energy. I think that's the best way to keep our planet in a habitable condition right now. 

ASU

Getting me off this rock. Alpha Centuari, anyone?

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

14 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

I believe that whether humans are accelerating climate change or not (the source of climate change arguments) is irrelevant. The climate has been changing since before humans, has changed during humans existence, and will continue to change after humans cease to exist. Therefore, I believe it to be necessary to build a climate control system for Earth. A system capable of actively controlling the climate to keep it in a human livable situation, otherwise, humans cannot be guaranteed indefinite survival (well, atleast until the sun starts to explode).

I would use the funds to start the system (I actually have a few ideas about the beginnings of such a system, that are nothing new really).

Put it towards space travel and colonization and we can go on to live forever, even after the Sun completely melts the Earth.

I guess the only thing I would look into is biological immortality but for my own sake rather than that of humanity, and I doubt I would allow this info to be leaked if I obtained a working solution.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I'd split it between machine learning, renewable energy, space travel, and genetics research.

I wonder how much money it would take to just eliminate the use of oil altogether...

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

I cant believe someone just thumbed up my maths fail.

Linus is my fetish.

I'd work on worldwide infrastructure; improving and fixing what we have. Roads, bridges, waterways, power grids, etc. But on top of that, an increase in sustainable energy production like wind, solar and tidal. If you can get more individuals and communities being self-sufficient when it comes to energy/electricity, you can remove some of the big infrastructure for pushing electricity to the various towns/cities around the world. But a big part of it would go to just education. Make it basically free for anyone who wants to learn; and put the stress back on education, not profits. And then a big part would go to space exploration.

Technology. Research of space tech for example 

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

$50b for Nuclear Fusion, $20b for Solar Energy, $20b for Space Mining and the remaining $10b for AMD. :P

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

Just now, theninja35 said:

Put it towards space travel and colonization and we can go on to live forever, even after the Sun completely melts the Earth.

That would require FTL travel, and currently, no matter how much money you spend, you will not be any closer to that. We simply don't understand enough about how things work yet.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

14 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

That would require FTL travel, and currently, no matter how much money you spend, you will not be any closer to that. We simply don't understand enough about how things work yet.

Well, we didn't understand space travel hundreds of years ago and now we're planning to land people on Mars in the next two decades. Money and time will get us there someday.

Since you have to spend about $32,000 every day for 85 years to have spent $1 billion, you could go way further with $100 billion. First off, I'd have programs put into place in my country (it's not difficult to figure out where I live) that would eliminate poverty, and donate to various economic sectors (like tourism, film, high tech manufacturing) to diversify the economy so there would be more jobs. I would also invest money to make getting a good university or college education easier and more affordable. My college tuition for one course will be about $11,000 (far less than it can be in the US) and I have enough saved for two courses, but it's not that easy for everyone.

Secondly, I'd spend money in Africa so that the environment there could be improved and better used for farming so food is more readily available to its poorer population. I'd also have water purification systems installed where the impurities pulled from the water (like dirt and certain organisms) could be recycled.

Thirdly, I'd invest money in technology that could filter out the pollutants in the air on a large scale so they could be used in places like the big Chinese cities where the situation with pollution is quite bad. I'd also have many trees planted in the Amazon rain forests in South America, since apparently a lot of Earth's oxygen comes from there.

I would also invest money in clean electricity so we wouldn't have to rely on oil and gas so much. If I were in the United States, I'd lobby to have stricter rules put into place against oil and gas companies so that they can't have as much political clout as they do now (As far as I know, you can't lobby the government in your favour in Canada, at least not easily). Since Alberta is known for its oil sands, I would invest money into building clean alternatives to electricity produced by oil and gas and electric vehicles so that instead of oil and gas being our big business, it could be clean energy. That solar roadway idea that gained a lot of traction online seems like a good idea and I would invest money to have it implemented. Solar roadways could also wirelessly charge electric cars.

I'm not a super green environment freak (not that it's a bad thing), but I know that's what I look like here. However, most of these are some of the most serious problems we have to deal with now.

I have no signature. There is nothing to see here. Move along.