Rainbow Six Siege: Starter Edition - Less than half price edition of Rainbow Six Siege

Some of you may have probably seen in the past few hours/day(s) that Steam (and Uplay) has been promoting Rainbow Six Siege: Starter Edition. (As this offer is for PC only)

Some of you may have noticed that it is only £11.99/15€ compared to the normal price of £30/40€.

Some of you may be thinking "What is the difference?!" and may be feeling sceptical of this 'too good to be true' offer/feature.

What is the difference compared to the normal Rainbow Six?

Basically long story short, the starter edition contains ALL features of the standard game. Apart from new operators cost more to buy and it is a bit more of a 'grind' to get new things. Quoted from Ubisoft this is the main list of differences:

How does the Operator unlocking system in the Starter Edition differ from the Standard Edition?
Please refer to the comparison below:

STARTER EDITION

- Instant Unlock:
2 random Operators from a pool of the most intuitive Operators at entry level: Rook, Sledge, Ash, Fuze, Mute, and Smoke.
600 R6 Credits to spend on either additional Operators (recommended) or other additional content

- Slower unlocking of the remaining 16 Original Operators (GIGN, SAS, GSG9, SPETSNAZ, FBI):
12,500 Renown or 300 R6 Credits to unlock 1 Operator
Approx. 15 hours to unlock 1 operator using in-game Renown

- Access to all Post-Launch Operators (JTF2, Navy SEALs and upcoming CTUs):
25,000 Renown or 600 R6 Credits to unlock 1 Operator
Season Pass unlocks all Post-Launch Operators

STANDARD EDITION

- Access to 20 original Operators through minimum playtime (GIGN, SAS, GSG9, SPETSNAZ, FBI):
Between 500 to 2000 Renown to unlock 1 Operator
Approx. 0.5- 2 hours to unlock 1 operator

- Access to all Post-Launch operators (JTF2, Navy SEALs and upcoming CTUs):
25,000 Renown or 600 R6 credits to unlock 1 Operator
Season Pass unlocks all Post-Launch Operators

Personally, I think this is great although I am still trying to think what the tactic is here. However, I am glad I didn't buy it the other day when I had my mouse hovering over the 'buy now' button. 

So I just picked up a copy and thought I would share this with everyone whilst I am downloading it :D 

Spoiler

32b1104bd52372ec92da06a414db0ca4.png

It still shows as the normal game but however is the starter edition! 

So is it worth it? I personally think so, I wonder what others will argue! :) 

Source/For more information: https://support.ubi.com/en-GB/faqs/000025116/Starter-Edition-FAQ

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

I'm pretty sure this is the wrong section, should be under hot deals or something like that.

1 minute ago, ElfFriend said:

I'm pretty sure this is the wrong section

It is news 0_0

And it is kind of about tech

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

No one wants this game, cheater infested shit.

let us all remember now and today, computers do not like abuse, they will fight back!

Old Skool KILLBOX. XEON E5640 4.0ghz / ASUS P6X58D-E ~ Noctua NH-L12 ~ eVGA GTX 670 SC 2GB 1312/7000 ~ 4TB 7200 RPM RAID0 ~ CoolerMaster Haf 922 ~ DELL P214H 23" 1080 IPS 2ms ~ HP w2007v 1680x1050. Now Playing: Splinter Cell OG XBOX / CSGO PC

Original XBOX - Xecuter 2 4981.67 Bios. Playstation 2 Slim SCPH-70002. Sega Dreamcast. N64

Yeah, they are doing this now because the game is dying.. Oh well, good for people who still wanted it I guess.

The price in euros is 40.

8 minutes ago, ElfFriend said:

I'm pretty sure this is the wrong section, should be under hot deals or something like that.

gaming news belongs in tech news.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Yeah, they are doing this now because the game is dying.. Oh well, good for people who still wanted it I guess.

why is it already dying? :o

i thought i looked pretty cool but i haven't gotten around to buy it yet.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

5 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

You never hear anyone talk about it and if they do it's only about how it doesn't have that many players and has hackers (at least on PC)

It's kinda like a Division story, yet even worse.

It looks cool and a friend of mine played the BETA and thought it was cool, but he said it's not a game you want to play for long.

After a couple of games you have seen it all he said

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Yeah, they are doing this now because the game is dying

2 minutes ago, FloRolf said:

Yeah, I didn't know it was dying :( I am going to play it and see :D 

I played a free weekend with a good friend from the states, enjoyed the games we had together, he had enough and went to do something IRL, i went and played match making, cheater in every game.

let us all remember now and today, computers do not like abuse, they will fight back!

Old Skool KILLBOX. XEON E5640 4.0ghz / ASUS P6X58D-E ~ Noctua NH-L12 ~ eVGA GTX 670 SC 2GB 1312/7000 ~ 4TB 7200 RPM RAID0 ~ CoolerMaster Haf 922 ~ DELL P214H 23" 1080 IPS 2ms ~ HP w2007v 1680x1050. Now Playing: Splinter Cell OG XBOX / CSGO PC

Original XBOX - Xecuter 2 4981.67 Bios. Playstation 2 Slim SCPH-70002. Sega Dreamcast. N64

I quite like the concept of this..if its something they had at release id probably of got it the hacker thing kinda worries me and im saving for a 1070 though so..cant partake right  now

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

5 minutes ago, Bittenfleax said:

Yeah, I didn't know it was dying :( I am going to play it and see :D 

Don't want to discourage you from playing!

I'm sure this 'discount' (well, other version which is cheaper) will make it at least a bit more populated.

And really, it seems like a fun game. It just doesn't seem to have the longevity of other online FPS games. Could still make it worth it for the money though.

meh, already have overwatch. Don't need another fps 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

In b4 Ubisoft release a Starters Edition Quick Unlock Pack for $15. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Let's see how it fairs. Seems ok trade off.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Starts at 07:03, he discusses RS:Siege Starter Edition. Apparently the game is still quite popular, and he and other YouTubers have always said the game is great (Although everyone has their own preferences).

They are of course a little worried about competition from Overwatch, but let's be honest, they are VERY DIFFERENT GAMES. People who like both types of games, will likely play both, unless they only have a very small amount of free time to play any game.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

20 hours ago, Bittenfleax said:

snip

Isn't this what mobile games do nowadays? Grind forever or pay to actually progress..

If Ubisoft is adopting the mobile strategy, I'm extremely concerned about what they (and the gaming industry) will do in the future.

Also makes me wonder whether or not people with the starter editions will actually enjoy the game or not; and whether the starter edition is actually a better buy (more playtime) than the original version. Can someone explain to me how the in-game currency and operators work?

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

On 6/3/2016 at 3:11 AM, hex4 said:

No one wants this game, cheater infested shit.

Let me guess: peer 2 peer bullshit instead of dedicated servers?

This is why PC gamers should demand dedicated servers or gtfo, even at just 15 bucks.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Not sure if the cheaper price is worth it for all the additional grinding. 

33 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Let me guess: peer 2 peer bullshit instead of dedicated servers?

This is why PC gamers should demand dedicated servers or gtfo, even at just 15 bucks.

The game uses dedicated servers, that's not the issue.

7 hours ago, Shahnewaz said:

Isn't this what mobile games do nowadays? Grind forever or pay to actually progress..

If Ubisoft is adopting the mobile strategy, I'm extremely concerned about what they (and the gaming industry) will do in the future.

Also makes me wonder whether or not people with the starter editions will actually enjoy the game or not; and whether the starter edition is actually a better buy (more playtime) than the original version. Can someone explain to me how the in-game currency and operators work?

Operators are unlockable classes within R6 that each have a special ability (such as grenade defense or the ability to burn through reinforced walls). There are 4 operators from each country (the french GIGN for example), and they're split between defense and attack.

So, usually operators from a specific group scale up in cost from 500 to 2000 depending on how many in said group you have unlocked. 2000 renown is around 10-12 games, less if you complete challenges or use boosters. With the starter pack, you'll need 12,500 per operator, which is quite a massive grind (at least 8-10 hours per operator, with 16 total to unlock excluding the 4 you're given for free. Renown is also spent on gun attachments, potentially increasing the grind further). Starter pack owners can also unlock all attackers/defenders by buying $30 worth of R6 credits (a premium currency for skins and such), which brings the game price up to the original cost.

Starter pack owners are generally disadvantaged since they're not able to unlock new operators very fast and will have problems with flexibility if they decide to play Ranked. The grind will reduce the fun of the game in general.

(note my metrics above exclude the season pass operators, which are 25k each for non-pass owners)

On 6/3/2016 at 4:18 PM, Minibois said:

You never hear anyone talk about it and if they do it's only about how it doesn't have that many players and has hackers (at least on PC)

It's kinda like a Division story, yet even worse.

It looks cool and a friend of mine played the BETA and thought it was cool, but he said it's not a game you want to play for long.

After a couple of games you have seen it all he said

Ubisoft is currently deciding on and implementing a client-side anti-cheat to deal with the issue. Outside of the cheating issues it's a very well-supported game. The Division is in a much worse state than R6.

I disagree with your friend, the game has as much competitive replay value as CS:GO does. Ranked games are much more intense than casual. Heck, me and my friends with 600+ hours in CS:GO all sold our skins and pretty much only play R6 now.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

Ok I'll qualify: player run dedicated servers. Trusting the publishers to run them properly is almost as bad as p2p when it comes to hackers.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Okay, I can give my view. After playing it for 1 day I found;

- No hackers

- Surprisingly a fair amount of nice players (e.g, non-toxic)

- But 90% of games lack communication as no one really speaks

- Grind does not seem bad, you get a random two operators to start with so that is fine. (Although I used to play Runescape and Heroes and Generals which where fucking grind-fests so I guess I am used to it.)

- Game does not really seem dead. It takes about 10 - 20 seconds to find players/a match although the matchmaking sucks BIG time. To the point of level 2's and level 90's being mixed around.

This is casual, not competitive as well btw.

3 minutes ago, Bittenfleax said:

Okay, I can give my view. After playing it for 1 day I found;

- No hackers

- Surprisingly a fair amount of nice players (e.g, non-toxic)

- But 90% of games lack communication as no one really speaks

- Grind does not seem bad, you get a random two operators to start with so that is fine. (Although I used to play Runescape and Heroes and Generals which where fucking grind-fests so I guess I am used to it.)

This is casual, not competitive as well btw.

My understanding is - like any other game with tactical gameplay - it's best played with friends over VoIP (Skype, Steam Voice Chat, Teamspeak, etc). I would say the lack of chatter isn't really much different from most multiplayer games.

But it sounds interesting - so it looks like the Starter Edition is viable?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

My understanding is - like any other game with tactical gameplay - it's best played with friends over VoIP (Skype, Steam Voice Chat, Teamspeak, etc). I would say the lack of chatter isn't really much different from most multiplayer games.

But it sounds interesting - so it looks like the Starter Edition is viable?

Yeah I agree exactly, I just had to join a Fractured Space clan after finding that it was the lack of communication which was losing me games. But yeah, there is not much I can really do about this unless I play with friends/a clan.

And overall, from what I have seen, yes it is viable. Extremely good for the price. Even though it is a bit of a grind.

I would recommend it :) 

On 6/3/2016 at 9:20 AM, hex4 said:

I played a free weekend with a good friend from the states, enjoyed the games we had together, he had enough and went to do something IRL, i went and played match making, cheater in every game.

I got around 102 hours playing it back in December and January as me and my friends got it on sale for cheeep :) and there was 0 hackers back then :P (I was in gold 4 last time I played) and you know why me and my friends stopped playing it? not because of cheaters or anything but their shitty ass servers then a patch made 2 out of 4 games unplayable as it wouldn't even launch...(I was one of em) so we gave up :/ (there was a fix but it was annoying)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :)