Are max settings really worth it?

DeadlyPilot

So I havnt really gotten a whole lot into PC gaming (need to upgrade my GPU), but for those of you that have the hardware to max out AAA titles, was spending the extra few hundred dollars worth the difference? From watching comparisons on YouTube (between low and maxed out), the difference is there, but IMO hardly noticeable. It just doesn't seem to be worth the extra money. Is it more noticable in person, considering YouTube videos are compressed? I just need some honest opinions on this.

Depends on the game really.. Shooters I play on low to maintain highest possible fps. While single player games I like to max everything I can. If you have the money of course its worth the difference. If you cant afford a gpu to max games tho its no big deal they still play the same in the end.

It's all personal preference. If you like to game and want it to look good but can also comfortably afford it go for it, if not get what can run the games. Some people just like games to look really good, others just like to be able to play them.

Depends.

Some games looks completely different on low vs maxed out settings and others look almost the same.

Also depends on what resolution and how big screen you play so that you can set up your AA properly. Personally I hate jagged edges.

Also youtube is not good place for graphics comparisons as the video is hugely compressed and on a fairly low bit rate.

Also if you get card that can handle today games only on medium to low settings you will have to replace it soon anyways so it is less cost effective imo.

7 minutes ago, Virtual01 said:

If you have to ask, probably not.

Good point but I honestly don't have a clue how different max settings look, as I don't have anything that can run it 

I prefer max settings myself

Use the following spec style and help us spread the revolution to the rest of LTT!

"Rylo Ken"

Screenaninator: Asus Strix GTX 970 

Procrastinator:Intel I7 4790K @4.0GHZ

Stickaminator: Kingston HyperX Fury (2x8)

Powermathingy: EVGA 650 GS Fully Modular

attachamajiggy: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition

Remembrerthing: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB

Buttonboard: Corsair K70 RGB (browns)

Hearamagargle+talkamagargle: Logitech G35

See-A-Move-O: Logitech G502

4l32I4w.png

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

I feel like in a lot of cases it's a case of diminishing returns.  Quite often turning up just a few settings from minimum to something better that might half the frame rate makes a huge difference, but then the step up to truly "max graphics" is noticeable, but generally not worth the 4x or worse drop in fps.  At least not to me.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I play quite a few games where the difference between settings is either straight potato or glorious.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

2 minutes ago, Prysin said:

some games have like no benefit of going from High to Very High. Others its night and day.

Take Guildwars 2... Shaders from High to Ultra is HUGE diff. like massive.

Take CS:GO and its all the same.

Yeah I imagine that the answer to this would vary by game.  You see some games claiming system requirements like "min: GTX 760, rec: GTX 770" and you can bet on those the settings won't do much good (or at least it will be really inefficient at lower settings).  Then there are the games that can scale practically from integrated graphics to 980 ti level xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Ultra settings make all the difference for me, i don't plan to step up to 4k gaming until a single card can run AAA titles on full ultra, i don't like compromises. 

For me it is. Otherwise it would be stupid to pay a ridiculous amount of Money for an GPU like i did.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Yes, graphical differences are a lot more noticeable in person than they are in youtube videos, which are compressed images.

Do graphics from 2005 versus graphics from 2015 makes a difference? I think it makes a big difference in the immersion of environments.

Not everything is needed to be maxed. Things like AA, and shadows, I can sometimes play at a slightly lowered setting (not lowest) and not really notice the difference, while saving significant FPS. But generally, the higher graphics can be pushed, the more easily believable environments feel.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

To me, resolution is the setting that matters the most, so it's the one to try and "max." This is done in pretty broad strokes when building a PC. "I'm building a 1080p gaming PC" or "I'm building a 4K gaming PC."

My PC maxes a lot of games out, but I also find that some settings make almost no discernible difference to my experience at all, despite having a performance impact. I sat in Total War Attila for over an hour ticking graphics settings up and down to see how it affected the frame rate. In that case, I couldn't even tell you the difference between Ultra and Medium. Since frame rate is a pretty integral part of the gaming experience, I try to maximize that as well because your eye might not catch a few jagged shadows off in that distant corner but it will focus big stuttering frame drops.

Anyway your question is a value statement, ultimately. Are you rich? Then max settings are worth it, because you can buy top tier hardware no sweat. Are max settings worth it for an average consumer of middling spending power? Probably not, I'd suggest a midrange experience which will get you at least 80% of the glory. When you put together a PC, consider your budget carefully and the community can probably help you squeeze the most graphical power out of it.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

I max out my settings to make everything shiny, within a 30 or 60 fps lower limit.

My GPU isn't all that powerful, but I can generally make it work.

~shiny Fallout 4 is shiny~

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

There is absolutely no way to generalize this—it varies wildly on the game. Hell, it depends on each setting within each game whether 'ultra' is significantly more valuable than 'high.' Personal expectations, preferences, and sensibilities are also big factors.

It is very much up the the individual to decide if graphics are the more important factor in a game, there are plenty of people who don't care what it looks like so long as they can tell whats going on(I'm looking at you CS:GO players) and there are others that hate low res textures and jaggies and not having every setting cranked to the max. I personally think gameplay and story are more important than graphics but there are lots of things graphically that I don't like to see because they can be distracting and can break immersion. I hate motion blur first and foremost so that is always the first thing that goes off in the options menu, I also think jaggies are very ugly and distracting so I will run as much AA as it takes to get rid of them, if I have the power for it I prefer downsampling to get rid of jaggies because it feels like the most effective to me. Then there's textures, I really really like high quality textures. While it might be something that you don't notice all the time unless you walk around licking walls it can sometimes be really jarring to suddenly find yourself against a wall only to see a texture that looks like mud mixed with mashed potato's and vomit rather than some brick/stone/wallpaper texture. Having nice ones can also go a long way in increasing immersion in quieter moments in a game or just for eye candy on a particularly attractive weapon or piece of armor.

In the end though I will always drop graphics settings to get my desired framerate because I hold gameplay above all others. If I can get the performance I want while getting rid of all the uglies in my game then all the better but it really depends on what you prefer. As for whether or not I thought my original spending was worth it I don't know, I originally started with a single 660 Ti. Later I added one because I had the money and for giggles, I wasn't hurting for more power despite the fact that there were obviously games that I couldn't max on a single card. Through a series of frankly ridiculous failures and RMA's I ended up with a par of 960's and I can turn off SLI and not be too bothered about having to drop some settings to make the game run right even when it's noticeably less good looking.

10 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

4l32I4w.png

This would be relevant if that couldn't be achieved on a 750 ti.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

6 minutes ago, Ostwind said:

snipperino

The idea is relevant.

2 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

The idea is relevant.

I know, but I always feel I have to mention it when someone uses the skyrim graphics prompt.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

1 minute ago, Ostwind said:

I know, but I always feel I have to mention it when someone uses the skyrim graphics prompt.

I was actually looking for a different meme at the time but I couldn't find it in a reasonable amount of time. Oh well.

To answer your question...NO.   

5820K - ASUS X99-A - 16GB Corsair LPX - HD 7970 GHz - Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz - Waiting for Polaris/Pascal

It completely depends on the game. I have definitely been at the point recently where settings in games like the division were lower than I would want due to my GPU (and the game not scaling well with SLI) and having tried the higher settings and getting low performance wished I could run it. I personally care more about high fps than I do graphics, I will play BF 4 on mostly high and take 90+ fps in preference to the better graphics but I want both and so for that I sort of need 2x the GPU performance of most people to have a decent chance of that. Max graphics not so much, but MSAA 4x and SMAA instead of just FXAA and decent settings are important to getting a good experience in a lot of games.

The resolution is my biggest thing. After 60 fps, I can barely tell the difference (if any) but I can def. see the difference of 720p, 1080p, etc.

At some point the return isn't worth it. Getting a titan x (or even a 980) may be overkill in most cases IMO. Also there is the fact the a lot of games these days are horribly optimized. So sometimes max settings still result in poo poo looking games. but that is a rant for another day/topic...

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)