LG Warranty, a letter to Linus

Mug
Just now, Kryptyx said:

If you rooted your device then you only further justify them not fixing it. Anyone who roots their device should not expect any type of support. You can easily brick a device if you don't know what you're doing. I've been rooting my Android phone since the very first Android device (HTC G1) but I am fully aware that if I mess up that's on me. You have to remember that LG is a business. If they were to replace or repair every device that ever got claimed they wouldn't be in business. Time is money.

True, but if a product was sold with the understanding that there were no defects, it's quite nasty of them to turn back round to people who find themselves in this situation because of LG and not offer them any support whatsoever.

Samsung in the past has repaired out-of-warranty handsets because of a memory issue.

Just now, Mug said:

yep. Solely because of the response from that particular rep, it's clear to me that they only want my money.

A company that's trying to make money, shocking! xD But seriously, it's their company, their warranty that you agreed to, and their device so you're kind of stuck with the results. I'm not a phone engineer (and I'm not sure if you are either) but how do you know that dropping your phone didn't break it? Also you even said that LG UK does not agree with the LG US statement about the defect so until they do you're stuck with what LG UK says since they are most likely operated completely different from LG US. It really sucks that this happened to you but dragging Linus into this probably won't help the situation.

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

A company that's trying to make money, shocking! xD But seriously, it's their company, their warranty that you agreed to, and their device so you're kind of stuck with the results. I'm not a phone engineer (and I'm not sure if you are either) but how do you know that dropping your phone didn't break it? Also you even said that LG UK does not agree with the LG US statement about the defect so until they do you're stuck with what LG UK says since they are most likely operated completely different from LG US. It really sucks that this happened to you but dragging Linus into this probably won't help the situation.

I suppose, but I'm trying. The least I get here is an A for effort :P

Just now, Mug said:

True, but if a product was sold with the understanding that there were no defects, it's quite nasty of them to turn back round to people who find themselves in this situation because of LG and not offer them any support whatsoever.

Samsung in the past has repaired out-of-warranty handsets because of a memory issue.

So wait, you rooted the device and now are stuck in a bootloop and you seriously expect them to repair it for you? LG is not Samsung. If you rooted the phone and bricked it without knowing how to fix it, then you deserve it. Sorry if that seems rude but it's the truth.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

Couldn't you just repair the camera lens and try your luck again? I mean, that's exactly what they said.

LG phones are really easy and really cheap to repair. I'm pretty sure you could find a replacement lens for like $2. And the repair itself mainly consists of a few screws tbh.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

5 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

So wait, you rooted the device and now are stuck in a bootloop and you seriously expect them to repair it for you? LG is not Samsung. If you rooted the phone and bricked it without knowing how to fix it, then you deserve it. Sorry if that seems rude but it's the truth.

I didn't root my device, others have, I was merely using it as an example (look at the reddit thread for more)

1 minute ago, Mug said:

I didn't root my device, others have, I was merely using it as an example (look at the reddit thread for more)

Ok, fair enough. Fix the camera and send it in then.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

6 hours ago, Mug said:

Linus, I understand that LG is one of your sponsors and I have a real issue with my phone.

I bought a G4 a little while ago thanks to your recommendation. I'm really happy with the phone but a coupe of days ago, I woke up to find the phone in a boot loop.

LG issued this statement:

This is basically saying that the problem is with the hardware, a manufacturing defect.

So when I phoned them up, this is how it went:

Me: My phone is stuck in a boot loop and I've found that it's a fault with the hardware.

Conversation goes on, I give details etc.

Rep: Is there any water or other damage to your phone?

Me: Minor scuffs and a small crack in the camera lens (the crack is less than a centimetre)

Rep: I'm sorry sir, but because of this crack in the camera lens, your phone's warranty is void. You'll have to get this crack fixed in an approved LG centre before sending it in for repair under warranty.

Me: *complains but she is adiment that my warranty is void* bye.

I then phone up the LG repair centre, they say that it'll cost £50-60 for a lens replacement. The lens replacement is $12 on an OEM site.

I then stop to think. Am I really going to pay this much to fix a completely unrelated problem? Is it really worth it?

I then consult the warranty information:

I phoned LG in-warranty repair again and said:

Me: Which part of the warranty was [the woman] referring to?

Rep 2: *the bit in red*

Me: *reads out statement by LG* If they have said that the issue is hardware-based, it's therefore not to do with the cracked lens. It's its own problem

Rep 2: Yeah well that was LG USA that issued this statement, [LG UK has nothing to do with it] so therefore, it could be related to the issue with the camera lens.

Me: *wraps up the conversation*

1. It's clear that the camera lens has nothing to do with the motherboard fault.
  2. LG says it is related to the camera crack so it is therefore in breach of the warranty
  3. LG UK says that LG US' statements are not ratified by LG UK
  4. LG will do anything to avoid fixing my issue, they'll void my (and your) warranty because of minor cosmetic damage

Linus, I really need your help here mate, LG is a sponsor of yours and you said that if there were any issues with sponsors, we should contact you.

Thanks Linus and others :D

@LinusTech @Slick @nicklmg 

I'm sorry, but there's really nothing we'd be able to do about this. Even if we *did* work with LG mobile as a sponsor (we have worked with their agency that handles their display division, which might as well be on another planet) we'd be working with LG USA or LG Korea -who as you now know - are not able to influence what LG UK does :(

11 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

I'm sorry, but there's really nothing we'd be able to do about this. Even if we *did* work with LG mobile as a sponsor (we have worked with their agency that handles their display division, which might as well be on another planet) we'd be working with LG USA or LG Korea -who as you now know - are not able to influence what LG UK does :(

What about Asus? and gigabyte? and asrock?

@Mug we have a warranty thread look at my sig

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

4 hours ago, Nineshadow said:

The worst warranty experiences I've had were with HP.

Among those, a printer.

I had it for a few weeks, then it stopped working. I called a friend of mine who specializes in repairs like these, and he said that if I still could, I should send it into the warranty process. So I did. Flash forward a week or so, and I had the printer back in my hands. I didn't test it out right then, I didn't think that would be necessary. A few days later, I really needed to get something printed and fast and guess what? The printer wasn't working, after having just come from an RMA, and not having used it at all since then. So I sent it back, again. When it returned, I did test it out and, guess what, it still didn't work! I went to the Repair Centre myself, asking for some clarifications. After a bit of yelling and threats, it seems like they got the hang of it, that they should actually repair the God damn thing. Imagine my surprise when it came back after a month, still under a non-functioning condition. I was mad. Really mad. A quick trip to the Repair Centre, demanding for another RMA, and guess what? The warranty thing only allowed for up to 3 repairs. After that, it's all gone. I didn't even bother with those guys anymore, I brought the printer to a guy I knew and the next day it was back on my desk printing sheets of paper without any problem.

Yep, unfortunately bullshit like this is far to common. Unfortunately, many companies make it difficult to go to a third party, such as Apples whole "brick your phone if you got a 3rd party repair" thing they did a little while back. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

5 hours ago, Nineshadow said:

The worst warranty experiences I've had were with HP.

Among those, a printer.

If you can please leave a reply on the topic in my sig

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Like I have said before I had LG appliances that went bad before, and they literally told me that since I bought them that it was my problem not theirs

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

12 hours ago, Mug said:

Linus, I understand that LG is one of your sponsors and I have a real issue with my phone.

I bought a G4 a little while ago thanks to your recommendation. I'm really happy with the phone but a coupe of days ago, I woke up to find the phone in a boot loop.

LG issued this statement:

This is basically saying that the problem is with the hardware, a manufacturing defect.

So when I phoned them up, this is how it went:

Me: My phone is stuck in a boot loop and I've found that it's a fault with the hardware.

Conversation goes on, I give details etc.

Rep: Is there any water or other damage to your phone?

Me: Minor scuffs and a small crack in the camera lens (the crack is less than a centimetre)

Rep: I'm sorry sir, but because of this crack in the camera lens, your phone's warranty is void. You'll have to get this crack fixed in an approved LG centre before sending it in for repair under warranty.

Me: *complains but she is adiment that my warranty is void* bye.

I then phone up the LG repair centre, they say that it'll cost £50-60 for a lens replacement. The lens replacement is $12 on an OEM site.

I then stop to think. Am I really going to pay this much to fix a completely unrelated problem? Is it really worth it?

I then consult the warranty information:

I phoned LG in-warranty repair again and said:

Me: Which part of the warranty was [the woman] referring to?

Rep 2: *the bit in red*

Me: *reads out statement by LG* If they have said that the issue is hardware-based, it's therefore not to do with the cracked lens. It's its own problem

Rep 2: Yeah well that was LG USA that issued this statement, [LG UK has nothing to do with it] so therefore, it could be related to the issue with the camera lens.

Me: *wraps up the conversation*

1. It's clear that the camera lens has nothing to do with the motherboard fault.
  2. LG says it is related to the camera crack so it is therefore in breach of the warranty
  3. LG UK says that LG US' statements are not ratified by LG UK
  4. LG will do anything to avoid fixing my issue, they'll void my (and your) warranty because of minor cosmetic damage

Linus, I really need your help here mate, LG is a sponsor of yours and you said that if there were any issues with sponsors, we should contact you.

Thanks Linus and others :D

@LinusTech @Slick @nicklmg 

This is policy for all companies. They dont repair your device and give it back, they give you a refurbished device most of the time, when you send it in for warranty work. Which is why accidental damage causes a voided warranty. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 hours ago, Mug said:

I suppose, but I'm trying. The least I get here is an A for effort :P

5 hours ago, LinusTech said:

I'm sorry, but there's really nothing we'd be able to do about this. 

An A for effort and also a lot of wasted time apparently. Really sucks though, I personally agree that LG should fix it. Oh well, at least I know not to buy a G4 now.

Use the following spec style and help us spread the revolution to the rest of LTT!

"Rylo Ken"

Screenaninator: Asus Strix GTX 970 

Procrastinator:Intel I7 4790K @4.0GHZ

Stickaminator: Kingston HyperX Fury (2x8)

Powermathingy: EVGA 650 GS Fully Modular

attachamajiggy: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition

Remembrerthing: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB

Buttonboard: Corsair K70 RGB (browns)

Hearamagargle+talkamagargle: Logitech G35

See-A-Move-O: Logitech G502

On 5/19/2016 at 4:37 PM, Mug said:

The thing is that LG sponsors Linus and Linus always wants feedback on how sponsors are treating customers etc. Well, this is how they are treated. One would hope that something as little as a tweet could solve this issue for thousands of customers that have found themselves out of warranty due to issues that did not affect the issue they're experiencing (ie: the device is rooted, minor cracks and scuffs). It's clear to me that LG is exploiting minor defects that the customer caused to rid themselves of blame for the manufacturing defect. The product was sold to these people faulty and none of this is a result of their own actions.

It is people with this attitude that cause unneeded problems for companies and make call center jobs miserable. 

THE CUSTOMER VOIDED THEIR WARRANTY, PERIOD.  THE COMPANY DOES NOT OWE THEM A FREE REPAIR AND THEY ARE NOT GOING TO PUT THEMSELVES AT RISK BY DOING AN UNRELATED REPAIR ON A DAMAGED PHONE JUST TO HAVE THE CUSTOMER COME BACK AND CLAIM THEY CAUSED SOME OTHER ISSUE. 

If I go out and crash my car, should the dealership / manufacturer be obligated to fix a problem with the alignment of the car that didn't exist until AFTER I crashed?  Hell no. 

Read your damn terms of service.  You aren't the special snowflake because YOU feel wronged by your own actions.  

CPU || Ryzen 2700x @ 4.3ghz  Motherboard || ROG Strix B450F  RAM || 16GB TridentZ 3600 B-Die  GPU || ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti  Case || Thermaltake V71 RGB  Storage || Intel 760p 240GB + Intel 535 480GB SSD + 1TB WD 7200RPM HDD  PSU || Corsair HX850i  Cooling || Corsair H110i GTX  Keyboard || Corsair K70  Mouse || Logitech G502 Proteus  Sound || Bose Companion 5  Operating System || Windows 10 Pro

Very interesting, my G2 had hardware issues and since it was 40+ days in a repair shop under warranty which was about to expire they give me 2 years new warranty. Personally can't say anything bad about them. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

either way they have to service your phone, do full diagnostic and if they find that the crack in camera lens is the reason behind the boot loop, then and only then they can refuse to service the phone under warranty

the scuffs and crack on the lens have nothing to do with the issue

bring it in personally and if they refuse to service then ask them for a written decline and take it to your customer protection authority

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

You're in the UK right? How long have you had it for? Just go to your retailer or LG and bring out the consumer protection act :D. If you've had it for less than 6 months then they have to repair it for you or give you a refund if it's a manufacturing problem.

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

On 5/20/2016 at 6:03 AM, Donut417 said:

This is policy for all companies. They dont repair your device and give it back, they give you a refurbished device most of the time, when you send it in for warranty work. Which is why accidental damage causes a voided warranty. 

Hehe...unless you're like me who got my own z3 compact back when the headphone port became faulty, they fixed my phone instead of giving me a refurb :D 

lg support sucks from my experience, just bring your phone to their center or call them again and tell them the phone is fine and doesnt have any other issue and you might get away with it

I'm not sure LMG can help with your problem, but I guess it can't hurt to try :)

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Purgent said:

It is people with this attitude that cause unneeded problems for companies and make call center jobs miserable. 

THE CUSTOMER VOIDED THEIR WARRANTY, PERIOD.  THE COMPANY DOES NOT OWE THEM A FREE REPAIR AND THEY ARE NOT GOING TO PUT THEMSELVES AT RISK BY DOING AN UNRELATED REPAIR ON A DAMAGED PHONE JUST TO HAVE THE CUSTOMER COME BACK AND CLAIM THEY CAUSED SOME OTHER ISSUE. 

If I go out and crash my car, should the dealership / manufacturer be obligated to fix a problem with the alignment of the car that didn't exist until AFTER I crashed?  Hell no. 

Read your damn terms of service.  You aren't the special snowflake because YOU feel wronged by your own actions.  

It is people like you that make me vomit. Read through this thread before you post regurgitated bull s^#t like this again. The OP didn't want his lens to be repaired, he wanted to send it in so the company could fix a problem that they caused.

A better version of your analogy would be this.

A while ago, my ex keyed my car, I hadn't gotten around to fixing it yet when my engine stopped working. I called up the company and they said that it was a well documented problem with the fuel-pump when it came from the factory. I asked if I could bring it in to have my engine serviced, but they told me that the warranty on my car was voided because my car was scratched.

2 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

You're in the UK right? How long have you had it for? Just go to your retailer or LG and bring out the consumer protection act :D. If you've had it for less than 6 months then they have to repair it for you or give you a refund if it's a manufacturing problem.

Does that cover consumer damage though? Because the OP cracked his camera. I can tell you here in the States they have the legal right to tell you to fuck off. Once consumer damage has happen then the warranty is void, period. No exceptions. The OP should have been more careful with the device.  

12 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Does that cover consumer damage though? Because the OP cracked his camera. I can tell you here in the States they have the legal right to tell you to fuck off. Once consumer damage has happen then the warranty is void, period. No exceptions. The OP should have been more careful with the device.  

I guess you're are correct but since LG has recognised it as a widespread problem ,he'll probably end up getting it fixed due to it being a manufacturing problem :P 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

I guess you're are correct but since LG has recognised it as a widespread problem ,he'll probably end up getting it fixed due to it being a manufacturing problem :P 

If I were LG id let this get settled in court. Most people dont have the money to bring up a lawsuit, plus LG has armies of lawyers.