LG Warranty, a letter to Linus

Mug

Linus, I understand that LG is one of your sponsors and I have a real issue with my phone.

I bought a G4 a little while ago thanks to your recommendation. I'm really happy with the phone but a coupe of days ago, I woke up to find the phone in a boot loop.

LG issued this statement:

“LG Electronics has been made aware of a booting issue with the LG G4 smartphone that has now been identified as resulting from a loose contact between components. Customers who are experiencing booting issues with their LG G4s should contact their local carrier from where the G4 was purchased or a nearby LG Service Center (www.lg.com/common) for repair under full warranty.

Customers who purchased their G4 devices from non-carrier retailers should contact an LG Service Center with the understanding that warranty conditions will differ. LG Electronics is committed to providing the highest standards of product quality and customer service and apologizes for the inconvenience caused to some of our customers who initially received incorrect diagnoses.”

This is basically saying that the problem is with the hardware, a manufacturing defect.

So when I phoned them up, this is how it went:

Me: My phone is stuck in a boot loop and I've found that it's a fault with the hardware.

Conversation goes on, I give details etc.

Rep: Is there any water or other damage to your phone?

Me: Minor scuffs and a small crack in the camera lens (the crack is less than a centimetre)

Rep: I'm sorry sir, but because of this crack in the camera lens, your phone's warranty is void. You'll have to get this crack fixed in an approved LG centre before sending it in for repair under warranty.

Me: *complains but she is adiment that my warranty is void* bye.

I then phone up the LG repair centre, they say that it'll cost £50-60 for a lens replacement. The lens replacement is $12 on an OEM site.

I then stop to think. Am I really going to pay this much to fix a completely unrelated problem? Is it really worth it?

I then consult the warranty information:

Warranty Terms and Conditions:

Replacement Unit or Parts may be new or remanufactured service exchanges that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability.

The LG warranty does not cover any of the following actions:
a) Periodic check ups, maintenance and repair or replacement of parts due to normal wear and tear.
b) Cost relating to transport, removal or installation of the product.
c) Misuse, including failure to use the product for its normal purposes or incorrect installation.
d) Damage caused by Lightning, Water, Fire, Acts of God, War, Public Disturbances, incorrect mains voltage, improper or insufficient ventilation or any other cause beyond the reasonable control of LG.

The LG manufacturer warranty is only valid when accompanied by the original invoice, sales receipt or confirmation from LGE UK of the warranty period.

If the serial number is defaced, missing or illegible, the warranty with LGE UK is null and void. In this case you should contact the dealer from whom the product was purchased.

During the repair process it is possible that any stored data may be lost so it is strongly recommended that you backup any important data and media files before requesting a service. LG will not be responsible for any data corruption or loss however so caused during the repair process or failure of the customer to ensure that all data is properly backed up.

I phoned LG in-warranty repair again and said:

Me: Which part of the warranty was [the woman] referring to?

Rep 2: *the bit in red*

Me: *reads out statement by LG* If they have said that the issue is hardware-based, it's therefore not to do with the cracked lens. It's its own problem

Rep 2: Yeah well that was LG USA that issued this statement, [LG UK has nothing to do with it] so therefore, it could be related to the issue with the camera lens.

Me: *wraps up the conversation*

1. It's clear that the camera lens has nothing to do with the motherboard fault.
  2. LG says it is related to the camera crack so it is therefore in breach of the warranty
  3. LG UK says that LG US' statements are not ratified by LG UK
  4. LG will do anything to avoid fixing my issue, they'll void my (and your) warranty because of minor cosmetic damage

Linus, I really need your help here mate, LG is a sponsor of yours and you said that if there were any issues with sponsors, we should contact you.

Thanks Linus and others :D

@LinusTech @Slick @nicklmg 

smh LG.. I wonder if you didn't say anything about the cracked lens (either because you lied or just forgot about it) if they would have made a problem about it when it is there for repair.

Come on LG, you know the fault is your own hardware, so just repair phones.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I highly doubt anyone from the LTT team will get involved with this. I believe LG is voiding your warranty because they believe you dropped your device (resulting in the cracked lense). I don't know how things work in the UK but in the US most carriers offer extended warranties that cover drops, water and lost phone replacements. This is to bridge the gap between manufacture standard warranty and common issues that are not typically covered. If LG is refusing to cover the repairs you may be able to do it yourself, check ifixit for a teardown and repair guide.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

there is no way you are getting any help from the LTT team, LG is there sponsor they dont have any controll over them, look they may have more influence then you but the also cant fix everyones problems because of that. if they do get involved i would be surprised but honestly it would probably just fill the forum with more stuff like this of people wanting help with similar things. LG is in the right here and i see nothing wrong with how they acted, they are treating you like shit but thats just how it is. its not going to help complaining here or to LG or to LTT. this sucks for you tho 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Kryptyx said:

I highly doubt anyone from the LTT team will get involved with this.

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

there is no way you are getting any help from the LTT team

I have faith; Linus has done it before

2 minutes ago, Mug said:

I have faith; Linus has done it before

well good luck :) 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

15 minutes ago, Minibois said:

smh LG.. I wonder if you didn't say anything about the cracked lens (either because you lied or just forgot about it) if they would have made a problem about it when it is there for repair.

Come on LG, you know the fault is your own hardware, so just repair phones.

ikr, I only said about that because I was being honest. Just goes to show how honesty is rewarded

Your issue is with an LG phone, I don't believe that's a division of LG that Linus and co has worked with, and will likely be unable to help.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Just now, Suika said:

Your issue is with an LG phone, I don't believe that's a division of LG that Linus and co has worked with, and will likely be unable to help.

Yeah that's true but really, all that needs to happen is one tweet to be sent and it's fixed in a heartbeat. Linus has way more influence than little old me.

Just now, Mug said:

Yeah that's true but really, all that needs to happen is one tweet to be sent and it's fixed in a heartbeat. Linus has way more influence than little old me.

I hope linus hasn't changed. Typically youtubers that get big tend not to care about their audience, but I think Linus is the same person, so I am sure he will help you out.

Just now, Dionyz said:

I hope linus hasn't changed. Typically youtubers that get big tend not to care about their audience, but I think Linus is the same person, so I am sure he will help you out.

Thanks mate, I hope so too :)

38 minutes ago, Mug said:

Damage caused by Acts of God

God voided the warranty of my old LG flip phone

We've now got three different subjects going on, an Asian fox and motorbike fetish, two guys talking about Norway invasions and then some other people talking about body building... This thread is turning into a free for all fetish infested Norwegian circle jerk.

Just now, Stadin6 said:

God voided the warranty of my old LG flip phone

Classic God :P

Did you drop your phone? How did you get the cracked lense?

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    

Just now, Kryptyx said:

Did you drop your phone? How did you get the cracked lense?

Dropped it on carped 6 months ago

3 minutes ago, Mug said:

Dropped it on carped 6 months ago

So then you voided your warranty. Why should they give you special treatment? If they did this then everyone would be sending their phone for replacement. If Linus were to reach out it would only open a whole can of worms for him as everyone would start requesting him to help with all of their RMAs. Also, as stated, Linus does not work with the phone division, I believe DBrand sponsors the phones he reviews. LG is a huge company that Linus will likely have very little influence with any way. I just don't understand why you think you are so special.

3 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

So then you voided your warranty. Why should they give you special treatment? If they did this then everyone would be sending their phone for replacement. If Linus were to reach out it would only open a whole can of worms for him as everyone would start requesting him to help with all of their RMAs. Also, as stated, Linus does not work with the phone division, I believe DBrand sponsors the phones he reviews. LG is a huge company that Linus will likely have very little influence with any way. I just don't understand why you think you are so special.

Because the fault in his phone was from manufacturing, not the drop. The problem is that LG US stated this, not LG UK.

We've now got three different subjects going on, an Asian fox and motorbike fetish, two guys talking about Norway invasions and then some other people talking about body building... This thread is turning into a free for all fetish infested Norwegian circle jerk.

1 minute ago, Stadin6 said:

Because the fault in his phone was from manufacturing, not the drop. The problem is that LG US stated this, not LG UK.

Right but by dropping the phone you void your warranty. How can LG be 100% certain the drop didn't cause the issue or lead to it happening over time? I understand that it is highly likely the fault resides with LG as their US division has already confirmed it but the drop really throws out your chances of them fixing it under warranty.

4 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

Right but by dropping the phone you void your warranty. How can LG be 100% certain the drop didn't cause the issue or lead to it happening over time? I understand that it is highly likely the fault resides with LG as their US division has already confirmed it but the drop really throws out your chances of them fixing it under warranty.

Which is why I now need to prove that the defect was present at the point of sale. Then, I can get it repaired. In fact, under UK law, I can get a replacement or refund.

I don't understand what the issue is. You dropped your phone. You voided the warranty.

1 minute ago, mcfly said:

I don't understand what the issue is. You dropped your phone. You voided the warranty.

The issue is that the defect was there at the point of purchase. That means that under law, I'm entitled to it being fixed at the very least. This includes issues that take time to show up.

Just now, Mug said:

The issue is that the defect was there at the point of purchase. That means that under law, I'm entitled to it being fixed at the very least. This includes issues that take time to show up.

Unfortunately I don't think there would be any way to prove that the unit was defected at the point of sale. What about your cellular provider? Can they assist in any way?

Just now, mcfly said:

Unfortunately I don't think there would be any way to prove that the unit was defected at the point of sale. What about your cellular provider? Can they assist in any way?

I bought it off Amzon.

As I said in my initial post, LG US said that the common issue was with the motherboard, so it was a manufacturing defect, therefore it was there at the point of sale.

The main issue for me is that LG UK denies that this is the cause. If I was in the US, I'd be able to get it repaired.

2 minutes ago, Mug said:

I bought it off Amzon.

As I said in my initial post, LG US said that the common issue was with the motherboard, so it was a manufacturing defect, therefore it was there at the point of sale.

The main issue for me is that LG UK denies that this is the cause. If I was in the US, I'd be able to get it repaired.

I still don't see how that would PROVE to LG that the warranty is still valid. It's unfortunate and frustrating but I really don't see how Linus would be able to help you. It might not have been a problem if warranty wasn't voided by the drop, but I really don't see why would be lawfully required to provide you with any service to the device. I feel like a responsible company SHOULD provide you the service, but I don't think any laws are being broken here.