Chromebooks out sell Mac's in the US

Recently googles low cost Chromebooks out sold Apples expansive macbooks for the first time in the US. 

Apple's US Mac shipments to be around 1.76 million in the latest quarter, meaning Dell, HP, and Lenovo sold nearly 2 million Chromebooks in Q1 combined.

This is a sad day for the Cupertino based tech company as well as The Redmond Software Giant Microsoft.

Google's milestone will undoubtedly unnerve Microsoft, at a time when PC shipments are in an overall decline

With Mac sales as a whole steadily declining, and now chrome books outselling Macbooks, Apple really needs to shake things up a bit an actually release an all new product, not just small hardware upgrades. Also, with google releasing android apps as well as the play store on Chrome and Chrome OS, Microsoft and Apple will face even stiffer App and program competition. 

source: http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/19/11711714/chromebooks-outsold-macs-us-idc-figures

EDIT: sorry I didn't notice this earlier but Chromebooks actually outsold All mac products (Macbooks, iMacs, mac pros, and mac mini's. Thanks Hunter259 for pointing this out.

Edited by JohnnyCorporalTech
Forgot the source, not just MacBooks but all macs

Not a fair comparison - you'd be better looking at iPad vs Chromebook. Major purchaser of Chromebook at least for APAC is education to which many schools also adopt iPad's. Schools rarely adopt Macbooks.

Apple's US Mac shipments to be around 1.76 million in the latest quarter, meaning Dell, HP, and Lenovo sold nearly 2 million Chromebooks in Q1 combined.

What? That sounds like a massive non-sequitur.

To be fair, MacBook Pros haven't had a major update since the retina in 2013. They are definitely due one. I bet there's a number of people waiting for that update.

So what happens when you take out all of the schools and corporations that are buying chromebooks these days? What are the actual consumers purchasing?

• CPUi5-4460
  • MotherboardAsus ROG Maximus VII Hero
  • RAMG. Skills Ripjaws 4x4
  • GPUXFX Radeon R9 280 Black
  • CaseNZXT Noctis 450
  • Storage120 GB Kingston SSD; 1TB HDD
  • PSUCorsair HX 850 GOLD
  • Display(s)LG 34UC97
  • CoolingCooler Master V8 GTS
  • KeyboardRazer Blackwidow
  • MouseMad Catz R.A.T. 7
  • Operating SystemWin 10

interesting. chromebooks are just perfect for schools since you have internet all the time.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Not really an equal comparison. Although I do want a Chromebook and not a Macbook.

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)

10 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Not a fair comparison - you'd be better looking at iPad vs Chromebook. Major purchaser of Chromebook at least for APAC is education to which many schools also adopt iPad's. Schools rarely adopt Macbooks.

yup, my school (high school) has switched to iPads too now, i'm super happy that i have a macbook air, i'm in the only year with macbook airs, the year before me has the white heavy macbooks and the year after me has iPads :)

macbooks are so much better than iPads imo

So a Sub 300 computer marketed towards outsells a premium ultrabook? Color me shocked.   

It really is a apples to oranges comparison. 

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

21 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Agreed

ALSO

people who are using macbooks, who bought one in the last 5 years, has very little reason to upgrade or purchase a new model

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It must also be noted, that this is because you have many School in the U.S buying Chromebooks, as part of a test program. This is not each school deciding. Public schools run with school boards. So if a school board decides to give it a spin, this can be hundred of schools obligated to follow the program.

A few years back, it was iPads. It didn't work.

1 hour ago, Smitty07314 said:

So what happens when you take out all of the schools and corporations that are buying chromebooks these days? What are the actual consumers purchasing?

Those are still sales why would you not count them? Do you think no market other than the consumer is worthy? Its not even the most profitable one for many products. 

Anyway the real issue is that they're not comparable products: Apple makes a healthy profit on each unit while Google makes nothing and actually looses money on chromebooks. Their model is to get you on the platform and cash in from add revenue. Apple profits from direct sales both of hardware and store commission. 

Apples and oranges really. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm not surprised. Most consumers don't need high powered machines to do 95% of the things they do. Microsoft and partners are getting with the picture and are finally starting to release decent sub 300 full-Windows laptops to compete with Chromebooks.

At this point people can make do with just a tablet but I think some people feel they still need a computer in their home.

Ex. I'm moving and packed my rig already. The past 2 weeks and up until mid June I will use an 11" Asus laptop I got for $180 (MSRP $200). It isn't a macbook but it does everything I need it to do (besides gaming) just fine. I can still watch youtube, hulu, surf the web and all that. And, IMO, a much better deal that a similarly priced tablet.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

All in all, glorified browser vs overpriced laptop. Simply no to both.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

are you people serious calling it a non-comparison?

a Macbook (non-pro ofc) and a Chromebook are bought by the exact same people, for the exact same reason; the customers just want something to check their facebook on and watch youtube videos. 

Discerning computer users (read: people who need to actually use a computer to do something their smartphone can't - business, games etc.) buy neither of these products. 

The people who use to buy MacBooks because "they [were] cool and made by Apple" have grown up now and are realising that by not buying a chromebook they are throwing their money away. 

People who just want a fancy device with no specific purpose of use in mind buy iPads. They do not buy chromebooks.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

Unfair test...a $1k+ machines (or at lease $700+) vs $200-350 I wonder which one is going to be more appealing in general? hmmm tricky questions I would say...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Kinda good that laptops are holding on even in a small way, but i don't understand how these two products compete with each other? They are in completely different price brackets, except the pixel two, which no one buys as its even more overpriced than apple, new macbooks are a joke anyway behind the curve with the cpu's and the retina display needs an upgrade, oled or better colour gamut would be nice, so its not surprising that shipments aren't doing quite as well as last year

6 hours ago, euniqe said:

a Macbook (non-pro ofc) and a Chromebook are bought by the exact same people, for the exact same reason; the customers just want something to check their facebook on and watch youtube videos. 

Discerning computer users (read: people who need to actually use a computer to do something their smartphone can't - business, games etc.) buy neither of these products. 

The people who use to buy MacBooks because "they [were] cool and made by Apple" have grown up now and are realising that by not buying a chromebook they are throwing their money away. 

People who just want a fancy device with no specific purpose of use in mind buy iPads. They do not buy chromebooks.

Not talking about just the Macbook. Please read it. US Mac shippments are all of the products that are sold under the mac branding. This includes the Macbook, Air, Pro, iMac, Mac Pro, and the retarded child Mac Mini. 

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

What else is there to use normal mac books they are for kids anyways same like chrome book... just pure entertainment... 

Just ones are for rich kids to show off like all apple products

10 hours ago, euniqe said:

Discerning computer users dont buy macbook pros? 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

11 hours ago, euniqe said:

some people just like mac osx alot more and also want to do things like edit video and program on the laptop, this is much easier on a macbook (you can decide if a macbook is right for you, just don't buy the usb-c crap macbook)

20 hours ago, LukeTim said:

What? That sounds like a massive non-sequitur.

To be fair, MacBook Pros haven't had a major update since the retina in 2013. They are definitely due one. I bet there's a number of people waiting for that update.

yup, they should really update them to skylake :)

and they should update the mac pros to Broadwell-E

20 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Agreed

ALSO

people who are using macbooks, who bought one in the last 5 years, has very little reason to upgrade or purchase a new model

my macbook air is almost 4 years old and it still rocks :) it has 58% of the battery capacity compared to when it was new (kinda expected) and it's one of the last macbook airs you can upgrade yourself, getting a new ssd in a few weeks :)