Gotta Love School Internet

SuperShermanTanker

about 1 down and about 5 up plus YouTube is blocked gotta love school internet where it takes an extra 10 seconds to load a webpage

2 minutes ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

about 1 down and about 5 up plus YouTube is blocked gotta love school internet where it takes an extra 10 seconds to load a webpage

4 me school internet is realy fast but idiots in my class play shitty browser games

School's internet, manage to get 200mbps up and down on a good day so I know it's 200mbps+ up and down so...meh...but during the day, it's split between 2.5k pupils and teachers...(including primary and nursery) so...yeah...need gigabit internet...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

school internet is SCHOOL internet, and NOT a public hotspot for whatever the fuck.

--

the school pays a buttload of money to provide your spoilt ass with the resources you need to access the internet for your classes, maybe look up something from math class, do some research on something from history class, maybe do some work for whatever engineering class you have. it is NOT there for your entertainment, if all the useless twatts torrenting at high school would have realised that, i could have *MAYBE* downloaded ubuntu server for the school infrastructure faster than we could run over to the frikkin nearest unprotected wifi to yarrharr some bandwidth in.

My school would certainly never claim to have fast internet. I will agree with you though, the amount of security they shove down our throats is kind of ridiculous. It''s even gotten to the point now, where my school has outsourced all of our traffic to a security server network in New York. I live in South Dakota. WTF 

They change what security software they use regularly, but they never transfer the blacklist from software to software, so sometimes a website will be blocked one month, and unblocked another month. When we do semester testing at the end of the year, they switch to a whitelist and only allow the testing sites, because otherwise, our proprietary testing systems just won't work. It's happened before where we've had to come back to school weeks after it ended just so we can take the semester exams again because it got borked the week they were supposed to be done. 

I get about 60 down 10 up, and on the public network I get about 5 down 2 up.

`

That is my school's wireless. I

It is spotty though.

Screenshot_2016-05-18-08-04-25.png

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

school internet is SCHOOL internet, and NOT a public hotspot for whatever the fuck.

--

the school pays a buttload of money to provide your spoilt ass with the resources you need to access the internet for your classes, maybe look up something from math class, do some research on something from history class, maybe do some work for whatever engineering class you have. it is NOT there for your entertainment, if all the useless twatts torrenting at high school would have realised that, i could have *MAYBE* downloaded ubuntu server for the school infrastructure faster than we could run over to the frikkin nearest unprotected wifi to yarrharr some bandwidth in.

I don't torrent anything I'm just saying how it takes a ton of extra time to load webpages because the ping in the school is horrible because it has to go through the school's server

I wonder if your school blocked both port 80 & 443. Back when I was in high school for the longest time they left port 443 open so provided you knew how to use it you could get on blocked sites like YouTube & Facebook.

My school internet barely goes up to 15MB. It's just that in our country, the best internet you can get is around ~25-30MB. I think I can say u guys should count yourselves lucky to have at least 50 megs.

1 minute ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

I don't torrent anything I'm just saying how it takes a ton of extra time to load webpages because the ping in the school is horrible because it has to go through the school's probably outdated server

but the school provides it to you, and all other students, and trust me if i tell you it costs them A LOT of money, none of which they charge you while you're complaining you cant access youtube.

Just now, manikyath said:

but the school provides it to you, and all other students, and trust me if i tell you it costs them A LOT of money, none of which they charge you while you're complaining you cant access youtube.

Problem is that the school fee is expensive af. Sure they give out shitty macs with 1.6ghz and intel hd graphics 6000. 

Just now, ItsMinJunLol said:

Problem is that the school fee is expensive af. Sure they give out shitty macs with 1.6ghz and intel hd graphics 6000. 

A Mac? but why? there is cheeper stuff thats better

Back-end developer, electronics "hacker"

our schools internet in download is good but upload is like my house

Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 10.09.26 AM.png

2 hours ago, ItsMinJunLol said:

school fee is expensive as is. AND YOU'RE COMPLAINING ABOUT GETTING A FRIKKIN MACBOOK.

-old man voice- back in my day i had to pay my own dang frikkin money to get a pen.

2 hours ago, Joveice said:

because macs are durable.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

11 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

School's internet, manage to get 200mbps up and down on a good day so I know it's 200mbps+ up and down so...meh...but during the day, it's split between 2.5k pupils and teachers...(including primary and nursery) so...yeah...need gigabit internet...

13 minutes ago, KSores said:

My school wifi

(Has 2000 people on it)

Works 1% of the time

But when it is working in am on the ltt forum 

I do agree that they pay a lot of money for a faster connection to divide up to the thousands of students but isn't there systems to more dynamically split up the connection speed based on who needs a faster connection and who doesn't need a faster connection

2 hours ago, Joveice said:

Yea, idk why our school did it. 1000$ bro. You can get a computer with 2x perf with like idk, half price?

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

because macs are durable.

Bruh, if you drop a mac, you say bye to it. and I don't think 30,000$ a year is cheap.

1 minute ago, ItsMinJunLol said:

Yea, idk why our school did it. 1000$ bro. You can get a computer with 2x perf with like idk, half price?

Yea almost, This is what we got DELL Latitude 3340, 

cpu: Intel Core i5-4210U

ram: 8GB 

storage: 128GB SSD

Just now, SuperShermanTanker said:

I do agree that they pay a lot of money for a faster connection to divide up to the thousands of students but isn't there systems to more dynamically split up the connection speed based on who needs a faster connection and who doesn't need a faster connection

not anything that does any good in an enviroment like a school, not at all.

the only thing they can do is say "okay, now everyone has to log in with their school account, can only have one device connected at the time, and only gets this bandwidth"

Bruh, if you drop a mac, you say bye to it. and I don't think 30,000$ a year is cheap.

excluding the fact that you have to pay FRICKIN 2500$ when you break ur mac. U can buy 2 macs with that.

if you drop a $300 netbook it'll splinter to pieces.

4 minutes ago, ItsMinJunLol said:

Hay my laptop has got a 1.66ghz dual core Intel centrino processor and still manages to get 16 down and 16 up on its slightly outdated WiFi card so its not the school's computers it's what programs and systems the school uses to manage the internet

Yea our school gives out this laptop, which we can have at the end of the year. (windows license included)

DELL Latitude 3340, 

cpu: Intel Core i5-4210U

ram: 8GB 

storage: 128GB SSD

And we have a 100 / 100 Mbps fiber. And at normal we can get like 20 / 20, we got good new routers and this isent the newest school in my city.

1 minute ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

Hay my laptop has got a 1.66ghz dual core Intel centrino processor and still manages to get 16 down and 16 up on its slightly outdated WiFi card so its not the school's computers it's what programs and systems the school uses to manage the internet

centrino is WAY better than you need for most school purposes, and trust me if i tell you its *some* idiot *somewhere* in the school thats torrenting shit "because its free bandwidth" and not the school systems.

its basicly like game DRM, they have to put that much work into keeping the idiots from leeching bandwidth for stupid crap that it also makes it worse for the people legitimately trying to use it.