Gotta Love School Internet

SuperShermanTanker
7 minutes ago, ItsMinJunLol said:

Problem is that the school fee is expensive af. Sure they give out shitty macs with 1.6ghz and intel hd graphics 6000. 

Oh stop complaining about what the school gives you :D, they are still better than the school laptops we had...but now it's BYOC so you can have a laptop with a i7 6700k and 980m sli :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Oh stop complaining about what the school gives you :D, they are still better than the school laptops we had...but now it's BYOC so you can have a laptop with a i7 6700k and 980m sli :D 

Fullsize CPU? got a link? this got my attention :)

Back-end developer, electronics "hacker"

7 minutes ago, manikyath said:

school fee is expensive as is. AND YOU'RE COMPLAINING ABOUT GETTING A FRIKKIN MACBOOK.

-old man voice- back in my day i had to pay my own dang frikkin money to get a pen.

9 minutes ago, ItsMinJunLol said:

Problem is that the school fee is expensive af. Sure they give out shitty macs with 1.6ghz and intel hd graphics 6000. 

atleast you get a macbook which is atleast a full computer my school gives out chromebooks which can't even handle more then 5-10 tabs before starting to struggle with the amount of webpages open and on sites with alot of animations, advertisements, and/or gif images forget about it

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

you guys get a laptop for free, i had to pay €500 for paper bound books before just downloading the pdf to put it on my laptop.

Just now, Joveice said:

Fullsize CPU? got a link? this got my attention :)

http://hexus.net/tech/items/laptop/87488-eurocom-sky-x9-desktop-laptop-featuring-intel-core-i7-6700k-cpu-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-graphics/ 

not sure whether you can get a lappy with i7 6700(k) and 980m sli but you can get one with a i7 6700k and 980 :D 

8 minutes ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

Hay my laptop has got a 1.66ghz dual core Intel centrino processor and still manages to get 16 down and 16 up on its slightly outdated WiFi card so its not the school's computers it's what programs and systems the school uses to manage the internet

It's just the country. Even the best internet service provider max out at around 30 MB

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

you guys get a laptop for free, i had to pay €500 for paper bound books before just downloading the pdf to put it on my laptop.

no, we don't get it for free, it's only computers we can use during the day in school but they are like 4-9 years old macbooks and iMacs so...

http://hexus.net/tech/items/laptop/87488-eurocom-sky-x9-desktop-laptop-featuring-intel-core-i7-6700k-cpu-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-graphics/ 

not sure whether you can get a lappy with i7 6700(k) and 980m sli but you can get one with a i7 6700k and 980 :D 

Ha, Awesome dude thank you :)

Back-end developer, electronics "hacker"

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

no, we don't get it for free, it's only computers we can use during the day in school but they are like 4-9 years old macbooks and iMacs so...

we had pentium 4's in high school we had to zap at the motherboard pins to boot because the case button was broken.

lets just say i made a happy teacher because i swapped the power and reset buttons to make a functional computer.

(oh and it caught the eye of the IT folks at school, in a positive way for once)

Agree, we have to return ours if we're leaving and I think the 'rent' cost is included in the school fee.

8 minutes ago, manikyath said:

centrino is WAY better than you need for most school purposes, and trust me if i tell you its *some* idiot *somewhere* in the school thats torrenting shit "because its free bandwidth" and not the school systems.

its basicly like game DRM, they have to put that much work into keeping the idiots from leeching bandwidth for stupid crap that it also makes it worse for the people legitimately trying to use it.

I use my own laptop personal laptop for school because it actually has 4gb of ram that would handle about 20-30 web pages open before slowing down compared to the chromebooks which my school gives students that probably have a mobile processor and 1-2gb of ram and slows down with more then 5-10 tabs open

2 minutes ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

I use my own laptop personal laptop for school because it actually has 4gb of ram that would handle about 20-30 web pages open before slowing down compared to the chromebooks which my school gives students that probably have a mobile processor and 1-2gb of ram and slows down with more then 5-10 tabs open

at least they dont ask you to write a 50 page essay with pen and paper. your generation of students thats yammering about two gigs of ram doesnt realise your very own parents ACTUALLY all have a slight deformation in their index finger from using pens.

(yes thats actually a thing, its not very notable, but you're just one generation behind those who had to use pens to a point where that shit happened.)

8 minutes ago, ItsMinJunLol said:

Agree, we have to return ours if we're leaving and I think the 'rent' cost is included in the school fee.

Pfffffttttt...at lease now we can just buy a $xxx computer and keep it forever while being able to use it at school :D 

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

at least they dont ask you to write a 50 page essay with pen and paper. your generation of students thats yammering about two gigs of ram doesnt realise your very own parents ACTUALLY all have a slight deformation in their index finger from using pens.

(yes thats actually a thing, its not very notable, but you're just one generation behind those who had to use pens to a point where that shit happened.)

Yah I still have to write essays for tests in my school but they allow you to use the computer for research and PS when I started going to school 256mb of ram in a machine was the usual amount of ram with windows 2000 and after that for about 7-10 years my school used windows XP and got new computers overtime until around a year after windows 8 came out and then they updated the machines majority being core 2 duo machines with some core i5 ones scattered arround the building in different classrooms to windows 7

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

My father cut half-way through his thumb through one of the joints, and he didn't pay any attention to the doctor's warnings about the bandages, so his thumb still looks fucked up to this day.

2 minutes ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

Yah I still have to write essays for tests in my school but they allow you to use the computer for research and PS when I started going to school 256mb of ram in a machine was the usual amount of ram with windows 2000 and after that for about 7-10 years my school used windows XP and got new computers overtime until around a year after windows 8 came out and then they updated the machines majority being core 2 duo machines with some core i5 ones scattered arround the building in different classrooms to windows 7

i used windows 7 on a low power atom with 1GB ram and didnt complain, please go look up windows 7 recommended specs and realise why i waited 2 minutes for office to load up.

7 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i used windows 7 on a low power atom with 1GB ram and didnt complain, please go look up windows 7 recommended specs and realise why i waited 2 minutes for office to load up.

I'm not complaining about the school's desktops they are actually decent yet cloged up with dust machines it's only the hundreds of students and teachers thst are on the 1gigabit network at once

Our university has gigabit but the wifi infrastructure is quite bad so it often disconnects randomly, if you can even get on it, and when it is working it's like 20 down at best (which honestly is good enough but keep in mind this is the best I've ever seen, and they could do so much better with dome decent APs so it's just such a shame)

high school on the other hand... the wifi was literally useless.  Like, literally.  I am not exaggerating. They had laptops so people could work in class (in theory), but since we login over the network, I remember several occasions where we (the entire class) spent literally the entire class (~1 hour) trying to logon and gave up when the bell rang.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Well, I dont know about you but my School internet is pretty good at times. However you really notice it when the internet is being shat. Also, I just cant believe that my school fitted every PC with an SSD! Its great. They all run fairly quick too but you can tell which ones havent been fitted with and SSD yet because they are flippin crashing every two minutes. All with at least 4GB of RAM and an intel i3 for the desktops and i5's for the laptops.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

I know that for my university we get 1 gbps up & down to external sites, and internal traffic tops out at 10 gbps

16 minutes ago, Brennan_Price said:

Well, I dont know about you but my School internet is pretty good at times. However you really notice it when the internet is being shat. Also, I just cant believe that my school fitted every PC with an SSD! Its great. They all run fairly quick too but you can tell which ones havent been fitted with and SSD yet because they are flippin crashing every two minutes. All with at least 4GB of RAM and an intel i3 for the desktops and i5's for the laptops.

Core 2 duos on the older desktops in my school and core i5s on tbe newer ones also the laptops have either core i3s or a 1.4 ghz AMD chip and the chromebooks which they use alot more then the laptops they have some kind of shitty mobile processor and all the computers eccept the chromebooks use standard harddrives

My school has gigabit internet through the computers. It's awesome 

1 minute ago, SuperShermanTanker said:

Core 2 duos on the older desktops in my school and core i5s on tbe newer ones also the laptops have either core i3s or a 1.4 ghz AMD chip and the chromebooks which they use alot more then the laptops they have some kind of shitty mobile processor and all the computers eccept the chromebooks use standard harddrives

I feel sorry for you bro... Most of the laptops in my school run i5's which are the nice ones for all the humanities (RE, Geography, History) and science too for some reason. Anyway, its the DT block laptops that are the worst. They run i3's and because they are meant to be 'rugged' and 'durable' they have scratch marks all over and I dont know how many times people have dropped them. They dont even load word documents quickly.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

26 minutes ago, Brennan_Price said:

I feel sorry for you bro... Most of the laptops in my school run i5's which are the nice ones for all the humanities (RE, Geography, History) and science too for some reason. Anyway, its the DT block laptops that are the worst. They run i3's and because they are meant to be 'rugged' and 'durable' they have scratch marks all over and I dont know how many times people have dropped them. They dont even load word documents quickly.

I forgot to mention most of the computers in my school look like they are just completely clogged with dust