Did Nvidia Hire Online Actors to Promote Their Products?

Delicieuxz

I interviewed for a guerilla marketing business in San Francisco that targeted web forums.

I was told that if I accepted the job, I was to have at LEAST 50 identities on as many forums as I could muster (they wanted 100 eventually), with a goal of 5 posts an hour. The posts had to be well thought out, and the idea was that I was to establish multiple identities with a history on the forums, so that when the timing was right a well written but subtly placed marketing post could be finessed in. And regular visitors would recognize the post as coming from a long time poster.

If Nvidia did this, I think it is plausible that there would be some people on this forum doing this: people with either an anti-AMD posting streak, or distastefully-biased pro-Nvidia streak. I think it's an awful practice, and totally disrespectful of the communities and people that get subjected to this type of propaganda. In Canada, something similar was reported to be done by one of its federal political parties, the Conservatives. A disgusting practice, IMO.

So far, Nvidia has not responded to these questions, posed to Nvidia by the site that ran the linked-to article:

Did Nvidia hire AEG or other companies to seed online communities with undisclosed marketers posing as fans?

If not, what exactly do you mean by “engage with some NV fans help educate people on the web?” Are these ‘fans’ given products, money, or services to speak about Nvidia products without fully disclosing those gifts?

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

3 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

If Nvidia did this, I think it is plausible that there would be some people on this forum doing this: people with either an anti-AMD posting streak, or distastefully-biased pro-Nvidia streak. I think it's an awful practice, and totally disrespectful of the communities and people that get subjected to this type of propaganda. In Canada, something similar was reported to be done by one of its federal political parties, the Conservatives. A disgusting practice, IMO.

Pretty sure everyone is doing this these days.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

That's stupid

I hope people on the forums they infected at least corrected the fake accounts if they spread lies/talk way too good about Nvidia products or people just suggested the alternatives as well (which people should on a forum)

but hey companies, you could hire me to say good things about ya. wink wink nudge nudge

/s

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

you can be sure that everything that isn't illegal, but shady AF will be used by companies as long as it does the job. Nothing new here.

Welp

really doesn't surprise me that that's the case, looking at the attitudes of some people in the past I wouldn't put it past them being company employees.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

@Trik'Stari 

Can I borrow a tin foil hat? I'm all out

anyways, this is why you're supposed to look at multiple sources while looking at a product. If that was ever to happen on this forum, I'm sure there'd be such an argument that the OP couldn't keep up. 

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

This is why I always tell people to ignore brands and flashy aesthetics if possible, and focus entirely on price:performance. The one metric that will NEVER steer someone in the wrong direction, and is bias-free. Any brand can win in price:performance on any given game, and people should focus on that above all else. Once you factor in the best price:performance product, then you should start worrying about other aspects, such as TDP, aesthetics, etc. 

As for whether or not that is happening on this forum, it's hard to tell. Some people are just genuine blind fanboys. 99% of which, are not "well though out" to qualify for this "job". Even if they do exist, It's kinda hard to get away with misinformation when others can call you out and prove you wrong with several different sources on the internet. It's why I also ask people to provide proof to their claims when making suggestions to people.

As for the morals of this practice, it's sad to say that it's not the first time a company has done this. Whether it comes to fabricating benchmarks, or simply cooking up a very one-sided fight on specific games to make their hardware standout, you will always see sketchy marketing tactics deployed whenever possible.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

As much as i am on a personal boycott of Nvidia, I would bet my left testicle AMD does this too. Corporations will do anything to get ahead as long it's legal, and even illegal as long as they don't get caught. This shouldn't really surprise anyone. 

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

21 minutes ago, CommandMan7 said:

@Trik'Stari 

Can I borrow a tin foil hat? I'm all out

anyways, this is why you're supposed to look at multiple sources while looking at a product. If that was ever to happen on this forum, I'm sure there'd be such an argument that the OP couldn't keep up. 

I calling it now, @zMeul is 100% an Nvidia Guerilla.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I calling it now, @zMeul is 100% an Nvidia Guerilla.

Doubt it, he wont get past their requirements..

The posts had to be well thought out

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

Well listening to that obnoxious girl at the paper launch, it would not surprise me. I mean they had Angry Joe at the event. I mean I like the guy, but he is not a hardware guy: he only buys NVidia and only factory made computers. I doubt he could assemble his own even if his life depended on it.

NVidia knows how to do marketing and people are just gobbling it up like a beep in a prison.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Oh, gosh! Guys, I am so happy with my GF 980 that I bought couple of weeks ago at a discounted price from Overclockers.co.uk!

This card is great I was able to play Stronghol: Crusader HD at max details!

I am so amazed with how well it performs at 1080p gaming - definitely a good grab, especially now, with all the 9xx cards being so cheap!

Also, I don't think I would be happy with buying AMD cards to the same extent as I am happy with my GeForce 980 - it's without comparison.

Still, 50 seperate identities, 5 posts an hour, well established presence within the community? They'de have to pay me $20 an hour to even consider that... Also, I am pretty sure this is illegal - if 'influences' have to disclose the fact that a piece of content they produced was sponsored, I think they could qualify despite having a smaller 'audience'.

well they did.

but whether they still do I don't know.

28 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

As much as i am on a personal boycott of Nvidia, I would bet my left testicle AMD does this too. Corporations will do anything to get ahead as long it's legal, and even illegal as long as they don't get caught. This shouldn't really surprise anyone. 

Is it legal, though? I thought people legally have to disclose when they're being compensated to promote a product. I figured that was what The Consumerist, the site that posted the OP article, was getting at in these questions they fielded to Nvidia, which Nvidia has not responded to:

Did Nvidia hire AEG or other companies to seed online communities with undisclosed marketers posing as fans?

If not, what exactly do you mean by “engage with some NV fans help educate people on the web?” Are these ‘fans’ given products, money, or services to speak about Nvidia products without fully disclosing those gifts?

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

This is why I always tell people to ignore brands and flashy aesthetics if possible, and focus entirely on price:performance. The one metric that will NEVER steer someone in the wrong direction, and is bias-free. Any brand can win in price:performance on any given game, and people should focus on that above all else. Once you factor in the best price:performance product, then you should start worrying about other aspects, such as TDP, aesthetics, etc. 

As for whether or not that is happening on this forum, it's hard to tell. Some people are just genuine blind fanboys. 99% of which, are not "well though out" to qualify for this "job". Even if they do exist, It's kinda hard to get away with misinformation when others can call you out and prove you wrong with several different sources on the internet. It's why I also ask people to provide proof to their claims when making suggestions to people.

As for the morals of this practice, it's sad to say that it's not the first time a company has done this. Whether it comes to fabricating benchmarks, or simply cooking up a very one-sided fight on specific games to make their hardware standout, you will always see sketchy marketing tactics deployed whenever possible.

are you hinting that a person on this forum that we both know may just be what has been described here :P ?

13 minutes ago, Prysin said:

are you hinting that a person on this forum that we both know may just be what has been described here :P ?

Would this maybe be a person who believes himself to be the smartest guy in the room, who constantly cites his own napkin-work as a source? >_> 

4 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Would this maybe be a person who believes himself to be the smartest guy in the room, who constantly cites his own napkin-work as a source? >_> 

How would i know, for all i know, it could be. I simply imply that there may be a person who fit the description that both me and @MageTank has had lengthy discussions with before.

THat articles from 2006 , although this is properly true it doesn't belong in the news section if the source is 10 years old

This is only a problem with forums not looked after properly. They may make one account per site, but if they make 2 they will have the same IP address and that would be a dead giveaway to a mod that was looking at it. Doubt they use a proxy for each of their 100 accounts.

You do realise that the article quoted in the OP is from 2006, right? 

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

14 minutes ago, Paranoid Kami said:

This is only a problem with forums not looked after properly. They may make one account per site, but if they make 2 they will have the same IP address and that would be a dead giveaway to a mod that was looking at it. Doubt they use a proxy for each of their 100 accounts.

Multiple accounts coming from the same IP isn't inherently a bad thing - there are definitely members on the forum where brothers/fathers/mothers/sons/sisters/husbands/wives, etc, are members.

It could certainly help rooting some of them out, but that alone is by no means proof. It's definitely not a "dead giveaway". They'd have to research and keep tabs on the users with the same IP, and, over time, may be able to tell. Or it could just be husband a wife going on LTT at the same time.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

27 minutes ago, Tataffe said:

You do realise that the article quoted in the OP is from 2006, right? 

Actually, no, I hadn't. My bad.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Multiple accounts coming from the same IP isn't inherently a bad thing - there are definitely members on the forum where brothers/fathers/mothers/sons/sisters/husbands/wives, etc, are members.

It could certainly help rooting some of them out, but that alone is by no means proof. It's definitely not a "dead giveaway". They'd have to research and keep tabs on the users with the same IP, and, over time, may be able to tell. Or it could just be husband a wife going on LTT at the same time.

Sometimes, yes. For the most part, no. I've been a mod on a gaming forum for a few years and most cases are people making second accounts to talk to themselves. The second most likely case is that they forgot their password and just decided to start a new one. Third is when people post on a college network that has the same IP and fourth would be people living in the same house. Usually brothers.

Mods can just do a quick post lookup to see what kind of things they talk about or if there are posting similarities. Only takes a minute or two and things only get done about it if it's obvious or if the person admits it when you ask him why he's posting on the same IP.

This is nonsense. Everything on the internet is completely true with no biases behind anonymous posters.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD