1st countdown came to an end! Valve announced the Steam OS

Damikiller37

4ypKK.jpg 20101024142338!800px-Valve_logo_svg.png4ypKK.jpg

Last year, we shipped a software feature called Big Picture, a user-interface tailored for televisions and gamepads.

This year we’ve been working on even more ways to connect the dots for customers who want Steam in the living-room.

Soon, we’ll be adding you to our design process, so that you can help us shape the future of Steam.

4yoQN.jpg

Today at 6pm (GMT) the first countdown came to an end and as the result, Valve announced the Steam OS.

This is the 1st announcement out of the 3 as teased earlier (Thread about the teaser: LINK).

The 2nd announcement will take place in 2 days.

4yoSI.jpg

In the coming weeks we will be seeing announcments for natively supported games and we will

get access to nearly 3000 games and desktop software titles via in-home streaming.

4yp1i.jpg

This will be the first real operating system that will be all about the gaming aspect of our lives.

4yp7q.png

As valve explains this operating system will be all about 'openness' means that the hardware industry can iterate

in the living room at a much faster pace than they've been able to and that they wanted to create an core

place for their platform, Steam.

SteamOS will be available soon as a free download for users and as a freely licensable operating system for manufacturers. Stay tuned in the coming days for more information.

What I think of this:

From the first time I've started using/trying Linux I've always thought that it had great potential however I felt a little uncomfortable about it since it was something else compared to windows and didn't seem polished in my eyes mostly in the application and games side of it. Assuming that the Steam OS will be based on Linux I think that it will eventually let the platform bloom at least in the mainstream users eyes such as my own. I think this is what gaming industry needed, a new real competitor for Windows in the aspect of gaming so that we as gamers have a choice and we aren't bound to use Windows only because of the compatibility with games. If anything Valve is probably the only company that could pull of such an ambitious task since they already have an audience that listens and enjoys using their platform. I hope that this project will be as successful as possible so that I can eventually have something more dedicated for gaming than just windows.

Source: LINK

...oh yeah I think this should be the start up tune of the OS :D

Second announcement is here: LINK

Beat me to it...

:/

Ok, I see what Valve is doing here. I don't think they're actually going to be releasing their own hardware, but instead they made SteamOS, which can be freely licensed to whoever, and then 'X' company can essentially make a SteamBox. Make a computer, load SteamOS onto it, SteamBox. 

COMIC SANS

Man you're fast. 

Edit : Pfft you posted this just to be the first , link doesnt work , and you just copy pasted it in 2 secs no new info > :(

Edit 2 : ok you fixed it :D

Damn you're too fast

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770k@4.5Ghz |GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW B) Signature 2 |Motherboard: MSI Mpower Z77 Big Bang |RAM: 16GB G.skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 MHz |HDD: WD 2TB|Case: Corsair Obsidian 800DPSU: Corsair TX850|MouseLogitech G400 + Steelseries Qck Heavy |Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow |Monitor: X-Star DP2710 1440p :rolleyes: |Headies: CM Storm Sirus S 5.1 

Wow your fast lol....

But this is cool but I will not be able to get bf4 on it lol

CPU Ryzen 5 Asrock B350 Pro 4 / MSI RX580 Gaming / RAM 16 Gigs Corsair Vengeance 3000 / HDD 1TB Seagate Barracuda / SSD Samsung 840 120GB / 500GB Samsung SSD / Case Urban S31 / PSU EVGA G2 750w / Os Windows 10 / Keyboard Corsair K70 / Mouse Razer Naga 2013 (Won it from Linus!!

heres the picture

OP is on cocaine or something....way too fast <_<

probably has Fiber or something

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

*Applause* Mann your fast

FX-6300 @ 4.1 MHz; Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo; XFX Radeon 7870 Core Edition; Arock 970 Extreme 3; Corsair CX600; Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 @1600MHz; Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Zalman Z9 Case

Asus U43F-BBA7; i5-460M @ 2.53GHz; Crucial 8GB(2x4GB) @1333MHz; Intel 520 120GB SSD

lol they were working on operating system

half life delayed till 2020

So steam OS is circle, circle in a box is steambox, what is circle + circle then? 

EDIT: Ah nevermind, figured it out. 

O + O means steamOS + Source 2 :P

Exactly as anticipated. Good job Valve.

I can't wait to see which AAA titles will become available with the release.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

welp! guess who's getting a small PC to stream stuff to my tv!

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

Depending on how this is done, this could be something special :o

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

I like the fact that so many forum users tried to be the first ones to post news about the Steam OS. :D

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

So is it just going to be linux with a better compatibility with steam or will it be something great?

Not to say that linux isnt great.

Hmmm... Valve's own free Linux distro

"This just in, Millions of Windows, Mac, and Linux users Switch to SteamOS, Operating system industry loosing millions. More on this at 11"

FX-6300 @ 4.1 MHz; Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo; XFX Radeon 7870 Core Edition; Arock 970 Extreme 3; Corsair CX600; Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 @1600MHz; Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Zalman Z9 Case

Asus U43F-BBA7; i5-460M @ 2.53GHz; Crucial 8GB(2x4GB) @1333MHz; Intel 520 120GB SSD

Pretty sure the next announcement is steam box it is the steam os logo in brackets so in a 'box'

and I think the steam box is just going to be a stream box by the looks of things

So will the pc experience die and the pc will only be the power house for the other interfaces

By the way the pic got more colors any guesses except HL3

Users can alter or replace any part of the software or hardware they want.

^^Still very much Linux

Very cool.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

So is it just going to be linux with a better compatibility with steam or will it be something great?

Not to say that linux isnt great.

The most logical conclusion is that it'll be what Windows is right now, but on Linux. Which is exciting.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

cool but

is this just a big bag of DRM ?

can i play games on ubuntu instead of steamOS ? ( when it gets a massive following everything gets locked down)

companies starts friendly when the get rich they become territorial and greedy

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I guess this was also needed because once you factor in the license cost for Windows it becomes too expensive for PCs to compete in the living room vs consoles

Looks cool

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715