1st countdown came to an end! Valve announced the Steam OS

Damikiller37

cool but

is this just a big bag of DRM ?

can i play games on ubuntu instead of steamOS ? ( when it gets a massive following everything gets locked down)

companies starts friendly when the get rich they become territorial and greedy

You can install windows if you want, or any other OS. I don't see why Ubuntu games would be a problem.

Also according to their announcement note the following point

-With SteamOS, “openness” means that the hardware industry can iterate in the living room at a much faster pace than they’ve been able to. Content creators can connect directly to their customers. Users can alter or replace any part of the software or hardware they want

What Valve wants is not to take over using hardware, they would be delighted if loads of other hardware vendors create gaming PCs for the living room. As that increases the PC gaming userbase which is what they want. They won't sell as many units as MS or Sony, I think they know that.

This is extremely interesting and will make Steam Box's so much more easier. I hope they won't leave Windows until Linux truly evolves into something for everybody

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

Epic... now we can safely transition to Linux and not having to worry about game compatibility issues because more and more developers will go for linux

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300, MSI GTX 560TI Twin Frozr 2, 2x500GB drives, cheapo 500w PSU, cheapo HP Pavilion Elite m9000 case
#KilledMyWife

Hopefully a kind of desktop version will be available which could be a replacement for windows 7.......may be dreaming :/

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

My real question is what Distro is it based on? Debian? Ubuntu? And what the hell GUI going to look like? Will it be locked down to only what the OS provides (EG if Firefox or chrome isn't on there, you can't put it on there)?

I hope they address these in due time.

cool but

can i play games on ubuntu instead of steamOS ? ( when it gets a massive following everything gets locked down)

Yeah, if the game works on Linux, but I don't think streaming will be available like on SteamOS.

Epic... now we can safely transition to Linux and not having to worry about game compatibility issues because more and more developers will go for linux

this is what's making me so excited about it. hopefully less games are directx exclusive and linux can really become a dominant force

HOLY CRAP now this is gonna be a game changer for sure!!!!

also i see comments saying that valve at some point will leaves windows i don't think that gonna happen in at least 5+ years considering every game on steam runs on windows even those game that also runs on linux or mac but then again i could be wrong an suddenly most devs could drop windows support but know one knows the future anyways :)

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

HOORAY STEAM OPERATING SY, oh its linux.

Welp if anyone can do it, its valve. Though i'm still sticking to the idea that linux will never be a viable and prefered gaming os within my lifetime.

Oh well, we'll see where it goes but im not exatly at the edge of my seat.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Yeay! Another OS to start as many threads as there exist now!

For example:

Which SSD is best for Steam OS?

Which CPU is best for Steam OS?

Which GPU is best for Steam OS?

Which <insert what ever is on someone's mind> is best for Steam OS?

Let the treads commence!

I won't go into starting a whole new forum section or website for Steam OS.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Brainless you live up to your name. Very excited, can't wait to run it, this is great for linux, the gaming industry and the PC industry. The best part is the talk of openness. They could have built a locked down proprietary OS based on Linux (look at iOS/Android roots). This will hurt M$. Here's a question, if they're making an OS and a piece of hardware to run it, how long before they come out with a phone? Sell your MSFT shares and save up for the float.

To test that I am understanding this announcement correctly....this OS can't be a desktop replacement OS? Or can it?

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Speculation what the other 2 things are 2nd is the Steam box 3rd is the steam box with steam OS and the release data with HL3 exclusive

I have said it shall be done 

cool but

But its going to be free and steam is already rich have you seen TF2 sales?

Of course it can Omid. It will have a web browser, It will support mouse and keyboard, it will run all of Linux's great free productivity apps.

Great, Now I have to buy a 4th SSD for SteamOS. (SSD1 - Windows 8.1) (SSD2 - Linux) (SSD3 - OS X Lion) (SSD4 - SteamOS)

This is some good news.

First of all it will fail. At first it will do well, 'cause everyone will try it, then obviously they show some stats on how many users/download it had. But, people will realize you cant' do much under it, because they programs are Windows, let alone different distro release of software, which might not be compatible, and if it's based on xWindows, then terrible font rendering compared to Windows, making it not great, people will roll back to Windows. Beside most games wont' work with it.

So why the good news? It may make Microsoft think about PC gaming again, as they used to pre-XBox days.

They are certainly not going to let this market go, as it's us, computer enthusiasts, that recommend computers to others, help others, give feedback and opinion. So, we must be pleased. Windows 9 will be very interesting.

Another thing to think about along with my prediction of a steamphone, It should be possible for Valve to get a huge range of classic/older games working just fine on SteamOS using a transparent/tailored version of Wine.

Goodbytes you're wrong. People will dual boot windows/SteamOS and then realise linux is all that is needed with all of the awesome free tools/software.

We've got the winner! I'm on a drug called Fibre to be exact BT Infinity 2 xD

I feel so smart right now... :D

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

This is some good news.First of all it will fail. At first it will do well, 'cause everyone will try it, then obviously they show some stats on how many users/download it had. But, people will realize you cant' do much under it, because they programs are Windows, let alone different distro release of software, which might not be compatible, and if it's based on xWindows, then terrible font rendering compared to Windows, making it not great, people will roll back to Windows. Beside most games wont' work with it.So why the good news? It may make Microsoft think about PC gaming again, as they used to pre-XBox days.They are certainly not going to let this market go, as it's us, computer enthusiasts, that recommend computers to others, help others, give feedback and opinion. So, we must be pleased. Windows 9 will be very interesting.

Good points all round. The biggest obstacle for them is that windows has the huge back catalog of games. For those of us who are willing to install windows and dual boot steam box not a problem, but it's a problem for the greater market because they need to compete with consoles out of the box and only windows has enough games to do that.