1st countdown came to an end! Valve announced the Steam OS

Damikiller37

The streaming thing is actually pretty epic. If you have a massive computer like I do (full tower, weighs a tonne, not easy to move around), you don't want to have to lug it to the television if you want to play on the couch occasionally when you generally play at a desk somewhere else.

If you could have a simple, cheap machine plugged into the TV that would stream the gameplay from your desktop, it would save you the bother of disconnecting everything and moving it to the TV. What I want to know is, just how lightweight is this OS? Could you run it on a £20 Raspberry Pi and just plug that into the TV? Even if you need something more substantial I'm sold; no more lugging my PC out into the garage for LANs; I can just use my file server xD

I want to point out to something they wrote.
Quote:

In SteamOS, we have achieved significant performance increases in graphics processing, and we’re now targeting audio performance and reductions in input latency at the operating system level. Game developers are already taking advantage of these gains as they target SteamOS for their new releases

Could this mean a more FPS in game ??
It sound logical, because the OS would be made for gaming.
I don't think that it will fail, because MS doesn't care for PC gaming anymore since Xbox Release and almost nobody wants Windows 8.
If you could also get a 5FPS peformance boost and less Ram usage I think alot of People will chnage from Windows to Steam OS.

Just as I predicted, Valve's own Steam Distro.

The streaming part is bad news however. This means they have no solution to natively get most games to Linux, which means this whole Linux focus is a pipe dream with a much lesser impact than hoped. Shame.

I think the Streaming is the solution for playing older games so you can still play every game and not only new Games that are made for the OS.

RTX2070OC 

Its still using windows, its just streaming it now to the console. A lot of people will disagree, but OpenGL is not coming close to replacing DirectX as an API. Yeah it works for some games, like Minecraft, but it is not nearly capable of what DirectX is. Here are my thoughts, what the shield with game streaming should have been.

System Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Six-core CPU, AMD Radeon HD 6970 2 GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card, MSI 890FXA-GD70 Motherboard, Kingston Hyper-X 1600 MHz RAM, ADATA 128 GB MLC SSD, 2 TB HDD, Astec Dual 120 mm closed Liquid cooling Loop, Cooler Master 800W Silent Pro Gold (80 Plus Gold Certified) PSU, Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Gaming Keyboard (Love me my Cherry MX Blue Switches), a Razer Taipan Gaming Mouse (8200 dpi 4G sensor FTW!), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

I want to point out to something they wrote.

Quote:

In SteamOS, we have achieved significant performance increases in graphics processing, and we’re now targeting audio performance and reductions in input latency at the operating system level. Game developers are already taking advantage of these gains as they target SteamOS for their new releases

Could this mean a more FPS in game ??

It sound logical, because the OS would be made for gaming.

I don't think that it will fail, because MS doesn't care for PC gaming anymore since Xbox Release and almost nobody wants Windows 8.

If you could also get a 5FPS peformance boost and less Ram usage I think alot of People will chnage from Windows to Steam OS.

I think the Streaming is the solution for playing older games so you can still play every game and not only new Games that are made for the OS.

Wait, I'm confused. How will an operating system cause higher frames?

Well, I suppose it'll take less resources, but "performance increases in graphics processing"? What?

Mildly exited for this. I haven't offered it too much thought yet, and it all depends on how well it does all the things I want from a HTPC. And of course it depends on which games it will support and how well that streaming stuff works. 

And one more thing. Seriously guys (whom this concerns). Search.

post-16878-0-08024000-1379963809.png

Wait, I'm confused. How will an operating system cause higher frames?

Well, I suppose it'll take less resources, but "performance increases in graphics processing"? What?

An Optmisation from the OS level could give the hardware a more Direct accses to Data wich could speed Games up.

Similar to Console Optimisation.

And it could run with OpenGL instead of DirectX.

RTX2070OC 

I won't use it but I guess it's a nice idea. Obviously they weren't going to put Windows on the SteamBox (probably the next thing they will announce) so they needed an OS. Probably just Ubuntu with some things stripped out and Steam preinstalled.

How is linux's driver support with AMD/NV/Intel?

Used to be absolutely horrendous. Valve has worked with Nvidia and AMD to make better drivers though.

Define "alot of people". Most people will probably not even know that it exists, and the majority of the people who do won't know how to install it.

An Optmisation from the OS level could give the hardware a more Direct accses to Data wich could speed Games up.
Similar to Console Optimisation.
And it could run with OpenGL instead of DirectX.

Well it most definitely doesn't use DirectX so games will most likely use OpenGL.

I have no idea what you mean by "more direct access to data" though. I heard Logan say something along those lines as well (but knowing him he probably was just pulling stuff out of his ass like usual). What exactly do you mean by "more direct access"?

I wonder if these have something to do with each other.

>

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

This was not unexpected in the slightest, however I do think its nice that its finally announced. Depending on how the multimedia features are, this may be the OS I put on the HTPC I want to build (just waiting for either Black Friday deals on thin-itx motherboards, or for and thin-itx motherboards to come out.) Additionally the game streaming feature is awesome, though I wonder if its limited to only one game at a time. If not, then it may be possible to essentially build your own grid-like device for steam games, and just have a lot of thin clients connected to the central computer.

Build LogsPCX - A HTPC/Low End Gaming PC in a Playstation 1 Chasis (90-ish% done) | Yamaha PC-350 (Computer in a RD-350 engine) --> Coming Soon | Mediocre Terrors: Yet Another Prodigy Build Log

I won't use it but I guess it's a nice idea. Obviously they weren't going to put Windows on the SteamBox (probably the next thing they will announce) so they needed an OS. Probably just Ubuntu with some things stripped out and Steam preinstalled.

Used to be absolutely horrendous. Valve has worked with Nvidia and AMD to make better drivers though.

Define "alot of people". Most people will probably not even know that it exists, and the majority of the people who do won't know how to install it.

Well it most definitely doesn't use DirectX so games will most likely use OpenGL.

I have no idea what you mean by "more direct access to data" though. I heard Logan say something along those lines as well (but knowing him he probably was just pulling stuff out of his ass like usual). What exactly do you mean by "more direct access"?

With "alot of People" I mean alot of PC gamers that already use Steam on daily bases so about 5-10 million People World Wide.

And with "more direct access" I mean that the DirectX and the OS itself is in the way of the hardware to reach its full potential.

Without Windows and DirectX in the way you could get similar optimisation that Consoles have.

Here is an Article that explains it:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/03/16/farewell-to-directx/1

RTX2070OC 

I would buy one of these steamboxes if asus makes them 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

This is some good news.

First of all it will fail. At first it will do well, 'cause everyone will try it, then obviously they show some stats on how many users/download it had. But, people will realize you cant' do much under it, because they programs are Windows, let alone different distro release of software, which might not be compatible, and if it's based on xWindows, then terrible font rendering compared to Windows, making it not great, people will roll back to Windows. Beside most games wont' work with it.

So why the good news? It may make Microsoft think about PC gaming again, as they used to pre-XBox days.

They are certainly not going to let this market go, as it's us, computer enthusiasts, that recommend computers to others, help others, give feedback and opinion. So, we must be pleased. Windows 9 will be very interesting.

I don't think it will fail, though I believe I'm looking at from a different angle than you are. You seem to be looking at it from the viewpoint of the users, and your prediction on that side I would agree with. steam on Linux does not really have the most big name games, and not many people want to install another OS (if steam OS takes off however, we could see this increase.). However, where I see it succeeding is with manufacturers. From the sounds of it it will be freely available  for anyone to use, and I could imagine it being like android where a ton of companies make their own devices. After all, consoles sell really well, and I'm sure someone like Samsung, Dell, or Asus would like into that market. Granted I might be completely off with my idea, however I can see it doing reasonably well.

Build LogsPCX - A HTPC/Low End Gaming PC in a Playstation 1 Chasis (90-ish% done) | Yamaha PC-350 (Computer in a RD-350 engine) --> Coming Soon | Mediocre Terrors: Yet Another Prodigy Build Log

People who love their triple A Electronic Arts games may be some of the last to head to SteamOS, but who cares, I don't buy EA games anyway, there's more than enough great games without them.

Well EA just has to release origin for Linux, and get their devs to make games for it. No reason why this is less likely than with any other studio.

I will download and install the shit out of this OS once it becomes fully realized. I'm truly hoping that the performance gains Valve is claiming become at least SOMEWHAT true. An OS dedicated solely to PC gaming. Should have named it gladOS. And of course....Half Life 3. This will make me giggle like a schoolgirl that was just given her first fingering under the table.

My body is ready. The lube has been prepared. The keyboard stabilizers are greased, my cpu cooler cleaned, my marriage proposal to GabeN has been sent.

All hail.....PCMASTERRACE

#consoleholocaust

I will download and install the shit out of this OS once it becomes fully realized. I'm truly hoping that the performance gains Valve is claiming become at least SOMEWHAT true. An OS dedicated solely to PC gaming. Should have named it gladOS. And of course....Half Life 3. This will make me giggle like a schoolgirl that was just given her first fingering under the table.

My body is ready. The lube has been prepared. The keyboard stabilizers are greased, my cpu cooler cleaned, my marriage proposal to GabeN has been sent.

All hail.....PCMASTERRACE

#consoleholocaust

That comparison...

This is so exciting, I mean this would eliminate our dependency on windows! YAY (hope it works out)

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

But its going to be free and steam is already rich have you seen TF2 sales?

i thought TF2 became free ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I think majority of gamers gonna switch from Windows to Steam OS. Let's see what happens  B)

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

I think majority of gamers gonna switch from Windows to Steam OS. Let's see what happens  B)

Probably not initially. I know I'm not. If the vast majority of my library is works just fine on Windows 8, why should i bother with SteamOS which is going to have a smaller library of games I can play from.

i7-2600K | ASRock Z77 Pro4 | ASUS 980 Ti Hybrid | Kingston 4x 4GB | EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Phantek Enthoo Luxe

Creative X7 Limited | 1TB WD Blue | 2TB WD Green | 256GB Liteon SSD | 240GB Kingston SSD | Corsair H100i

Logitech G502 Proteus Core | Logitech G710+ | LG 34UM65 | LG 27EA31V - B | AKG K7XX Massdrop | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

If this makes Linux a mainstream platform, this would be epic, not to mention it's free. Gabe you didn't let us down before, don't do it now!!

If this does not get more manufacturers to make programs for linux i don't know what will.

Never used Linux before, but i am curious for a long time already, and now, i think this might be it, the final push to install a 2nd OS or leave Windows for good!

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

Yes, you are going to really enjoy those EA and Ubisoft games that require Origin and Uplay. Hours of fun.

Awesome :D if they execut this right. Im going to get a itx pc. gj Valve gj

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

It's not bad... But I think I'd prefer a Windows-based HTPC in order to get access to all of my content rather than just games. I don't really see anybody giving up Windows for this, and unless they have media streaming and a GOOD web browser built in or available for free I don't see how it would be even equally good as hooking your computer to your TV directly.

Yes, you are going to really enjoy those EA and Ubisoft games that require Origin and Uplay. Hours of fun.

all 3 of them....

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!