This forum slowly dying?

Hunched
2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Doesn't surprise me, tech has been a growing interest with the growth of the internet in the past few years. More and more people are looking towards PCs as a platform because lately it's been offering better cost/performance than consoles have been.

Granted that leads to a more "opinionated" crowd that would rather have a belief and hold it rather than being objective and thinking rationally but what can you do.

It also leads to the "Mob Mentality" we see so frequently on YT and in Schools

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

23 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

People, no moderation discussion. Any posts that deal with that will be removed, and if the moderation discussion continues, this thread will be locked.

Discussing mods isn't discussing moderation that has been done in the past-its more of a discussion of some mods going a bit overboard, without specifics.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, don_svetlio said:

Which has led to a decline in forum partnership. I very rarely see discussion happening in news threads, just people biting each others heads off.

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Which has led to a decline in forum partnership. I very rarely see discussion happening in news threads, just people biting each others heads off.

And the root cause is Linus himself who stopped making sensible and educational videos and went to putting snoopies in PCs for shits and giggles. Expecting there to be T&A on LMG soon.... just to pander to the children watching it (mostly teens in puberty). I wish he's go back to the way he was on NCIX all those years ago and actually teach the viewer something

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

And the root cause is Linus himself who stopped making sensible and educational videos and went to putting snoopies in PCs for shits and giggles. Expecting there to be T&A on LMG soon.... just to pander to the children watching it (mostly teens in puberty). I wish he's go back to the way he was on NCIX all those years ago and actually teach the viewer something

I would love to see some more educational videos especially on the software side of tech but I fear they would take far too long for pre-production just to ship them out the door in a timely manner to maintain their daily release schedule. I'm not sure if they have a ton coming up but I think we could have gotten a better version of how to make a cheap test bench than what we did tonight.

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I would love to see some more educational videos especially on the software side of tech but I fear they would take far too long for pre-production just to ship them out the door in a timely manner to maintain their daily release schedule. I'm not sure if they have a ton coming up but I think we could have gotten a better version of how to make a cheap test bench than what we did tonight.

We could have gotten a better version of everything in the past year

Naaaah. Users come and go and probably 10% of them remain active for longer periods of time.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

3 hours ago, lkarej said:

Well it's kinda hard for people who get banned to contact a staff member :^(

I feel sorry for those poor souls.

There is email to talk with admins.

17 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Discussing mods isn't discussing moderation that has been done in the past-its more of a discussion of some mods going a bit overboard, without specifics.....

And how is discussing about mods going overboard in the past not talking about moderation?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Highfive for Pyrrha.

This forum will only end whenever LMG doesn't exist anymore, they have too great of a following.

Pyrrha is best girl

I make bad life decisions.

6 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

Some reason I'm sort of oblivious to that "mob mentality" crap...

I guess the best example was the H3H3 crowd bashing Leafyishere and his little following. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

2 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Some reason I'm sort of oblivious to that "mob mentality" crap...

I guess the best example was the H3H3 crowd bashing Leafyishere and his little following. 

Leafy has over 2 millions subs concurrently - not little by any means of the imagination. Not only that though - people always jump on bandwags - PDP did the same with the drama bandwagon only to be reveleaed as a hypocrite the very next day. A few others as well.

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

Leafy has over 2 millions subs concurrently - not little by any means of the imagination. Not only that though - people always jump on bandwags - PDP did the same with the drama bandwagon only to be reveleaed as a hypocrite the very next day. A few others as well.

Of course 2,000,000+ subs isn't little but still just pointing out that YT Drama war that went on a few months ago was probably the best example of mob mentalitlity I could think of. Which I don't think is something this forum has quite yet had (at least to a noticable degree). Bandwagons though... That's a little more evident. 

I've started spending more time on ocn due to its size and increased number of hard core watercooling enthusiasts. Ltt is great but it does feel like a less mature crowd than some of the other options out there. 

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

6 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

We could have gotten a better version of everything in the past year

agreed. As with everything, commercializing things tend to hurt quality.

6 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

There is email to talk with admins.

And how is discussing about mods going overboard in the past not talking about moderation?

Emails can be handily ignored, or caught in spam filters and dissapear.

a moderator is a person, a human being. Not a machine. If the moderator was a machine, every action would be a direct result of the design of said machine and thus the competence of the designers and creators of said machine.

Humans however acts on emotion and reason. Just like people that makes posts have bad days, mods have bad days. And aslong as the moderation system is driven by humans, a mod having a bad day can simply ban you. I do not know if the moderation team here discusses actions previous to executing said action. If they do, it is a collective effort and "rage sanctions" shouldnt happen. IF they do not, and each moderator can act on their own, well then it is up to the mood of each moderator, and a human moderator can have a bad day.

Now, discussing the moderators themselves should be treated no other then discussing other members. Discussing their actions without having all the evidence, that is a whole different can of worms. One that will cause more harm then not.

On 04/05/2016 at 4:37 AM, DarkBlade2117 said:

People be banned for calling out mods

People leaving because of all the ( no mentioning names ) stupid fucking people who still argue the same shit for months straight like FX-8350s are better than all of Intels processors or some B.S. that like a 380 is somehow slower than a 960.

my 8350 is so powerful intel registers quiver in fear! 

Spoiler

mostly from the shier heat output. might have to upgrade at some point :/

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

15 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Emails can be handily ignored, or caught in spam filters and dissapear.

a moderator is a person, a human being. Not a machine. If the moderator was a machine, every action would be a direct result of the design of said machine and thus the competence of the designers and creators of said machine.

Humans however acts on emotion and reason. Just like people that makes posts have bad days, mods have bad days. And aslong as the moderation system is driven by humans, a mod having a bad day can simply ban you.

I don't think you understood my meaning. Admins are ones looking over moderator actions. Email goes directly to admins (and/or mods who work for technical forum problems). If someone gets banned before being able to dispute warning points/bans, they can use email to reach for admins.

15 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Now, discussing the moderators themselves should be treated no other then discussing other members. Discussing their actions without having all the evidence, that is a whole different can of worms. One that will cause more harm then not.

There comes a problem. CS doesn't really let you discuss about other members without their permission. Nor does it allow discussion of any member in negative or dissing sense. So what kind of discussion about a moderator you would have in public?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

20 hours ago, Prysin said:

Imagine if we had a thread "OMG that guy Prysin" in off topic, where people would just drop bombs. Bad idea. Many people can't take that sort of thing. 

On the ban side, you might have noticed dozens of comments doing exeactly that. It's somewhat peaceful in here, but in general it seems like people forgot how to have a peaceful discussion. I wanted to use "kind of"  but I'd be lying. They either forgot or never knew how to discuss things w/o going on a rant. Better to cut it off altogether. 

And imagine the number of reports for the mentioned threads. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

10 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Imagine if we had a thread "OMG that guy Prysin" in off topic, where people would just drop bombs. Bad idea. Many people can't take that sort of thing. 

On the ban side, you might have noticed dozens of comments doing exeactly that. It's somewhat peaceful in here, but in general it seems like people forgot how to have a peaceful discussion. I wanted to use "kind of"  but I'd be lying. They either forgot or never knew how to discuss things w/o going on a rant. Better to cut it off altogether. 

And imagine the number of reports for the mentioned threads. 

it would be rather amusing to have such threads. Then again, sure, not a whole lot of people CAN handle criticism

nowadays what i see on this forum is not to educational for my taste. when i was on toms hardware there was a nice mix of people from the old timers who know everything about fsb overclocking and old school core 2 duos or quads to the people who know everything about the latest 6 gen skylake processors or the pascal Polaris release and leaks. now what i mostly see on this forum are people asking if their builds are any good and or people posting amd vs intel or nvidia vs amd. most of it ends up in flame wars where fanboys clash. what i would really love to see is more post about people tinkering with technology, not just buying the latest state of the art equipment and slapping it together and calling it a day. id love to see people tinkering with computers, striving to crank out the max performance out of old hardware, like just recently one of my projects is doing a lga 771 to 775 conversion to hopefully breath life into an aging rig that was left for junk in the edump at my school. this forum needs more tinkers and people that are willing to push technology to its limit through ingenuity.  

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

On 5/6/2016 at 10:23 AM, don_svetlio said:

The average user age, though, has dropped from 20 to 12

It was never that high. If it has dropped then it was from ~15 to 12.

On 5/6/2016 at 10:31 AM, don_svetlio said:

I wish he's go back to the way he was on NCIX all those years ago and actually teach the viewer something

Which days are you referring to? The days when he was making unboxings (basically just reading the back of the box and then showing the looks of the product), or the days when he was trying to sell you crap like Beats? Those were the dark ages. 

On 5/6/2016 at 4:50 PM, wcreek said:

Eh... "little following"? Leafy and his 2 million subscribers were sending death threats to mentally challenged people. Leafy and his followers are cancer and deserves all the bashing they get.

Just a bunch of ~14 year old kids that are probably bullied in school and want to know what it feels like to be the bully for once.

8 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Eh... "little following"? Leafy and his 2 million subscribers were sending death threats to mentally challenged people. Leafy and his followers are cancer and deserves all the bashing they get.

Just a bunch of ~14 year old kids that are probably bullied in school and want to know what it feels like to be the bully for once.

I acknowledged that 2 million subs wasn't actually small..

Anyways, I don't recall Leafy telling that guy to kill himself or telling his followers to do that.

Regardless, it's water under the bridge.

On 5/4/2016 at 4:37 AM, DarkBlade2117 said:

People be banned for calling out mods

People leaving because of all the ( no mentioning names ) stupid fucking people who still argue the same shit for months straight like FX-8350s are better than all of Intels processors or some B.S. that like a 380 is somehow slower than a 960.

I rate you. I have stuck to AMD for like 10 years and had a great experience.

Ryzen 5 1600 - GTX 980 Ti - Broke.

1 hour ago, refinedskillz said:

I rate you. I have stuck to AMD for like 10 years and had a great experience.

When you go to Zen or Skylake....you'll realise that the experience wasn't as good as you thought-Back in about 2010 is where they went downhill on the CPU side of things.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I'll have to admit I haven't been on as much since the design change. I don't know why, something subliminal and subconscious about it makes me not check it very often

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M