LaCie reveals new incredibly powerful Raid array using Thunderbolt 3. Faster than MacBookPro Retina PCI-E SSD!

AlTech

If you're anything like me, you're an absolute sucker for Storage Speed on your OS Drive. You need the very best performance and nothing less.

Well LaCie might have a solution for you. A 12 drive RAID array with the ability to store 96TB of storage and maintains speeds faster than the Retina MacBook Pro's PCI-E SSD.

It can operate at UP TO 2.6GB/s and can store UP TO 96TB.

Holy freaking shit. For reference. The current 2015 refresh of the MacBook Pro Retina features SSDs which can go UP TO 1.5GB/s. This RAID array is a whole 1GB/s faster than MacBook Pro Retina.

snip.PNG

Regular people

don't need Thunderbolt 3. It's wasted on us. We're too weak to even look at that much bandwidth. We have to turn the page quickly past the peripherals section when perusing the latest copy of MacMall, for fear of seeing something too radical. Those video professionals, however... those are some bandwidth aficionados; dog-eared copies of MacMall under their arm, always looking through their viewfinders to see if there's more MB/s off on the horizon. They want all the speeds, and all the storages.

LaCie put both speed and capacity in its new "12big" RAID, which it just announced at the video professional-centric NAB trade show. Basically, it's a huge box with 12 drive bays, huge 7200RPM Seagate drives in those bays, and a Thunderbolt 3 plug out the back. In a RAID 5 configuration (people who own video cameras know all about "RAID 5"), you get 96TB of storage and 2400MB/s transfer speeds. If you tweak the settings a bit — RAID is all about finding a balance between speed, capacity, and safety — you can go as fast as 2600MB/s. Which means, basically, you can get through a lot of 4K uncompressed footage.

This will be available in Summer 2016 with no word yet on pricing.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/18/11452656/lacie-12big-thunderbolt-3-raid

@Slick I don't suppose you guys could get your hands on this when it is released, could you?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

better get them in pairs 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Meh.

I'm still waiting for thunderbolt 3 to become more common and not stupidly expensive

I just can't wait to see the price on it especially since it's from LaCie lol. It does however look gorgeous with a futuristic PC tower look. I really wish Apple would go back to that design for there monitors too.

I thought it was with SSD, but HDD? WTF? I don't think 12 of the 2TB Seagate drive I'm using now could even get near 1GB/sec, especially with the heat generated.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

12 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

I thought it was with SSD, but HDD? WTF? I don't think 12 of the 2TB Seagate drive I'm using now could even get near 1GB/sec, especially with the heat generated.

Note that this is maximum speed. You are more likely to get something close to 1GB/s.

My 7200rpm hard drive can sustain 150MB/s so 1GB/s from 12 drives isn't really that absurd.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

IOPS are still going to be faster on an SSD.

7 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

IOPS are still going to be faster on an SSD.

Also

A huge desktop sized tower of drives the size of my desktop being as fast drive I can fit inside my wallet is hardly amazing

its like going "yeah but that server is faster than your phone" -.. yeah let me just carry that around

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I really like it, but

1) price

2) no ethernet option at all. Which, I guess, is the point of this product, but I would have liked a (few) ethernet ports alongside the thunderbolt and usb C.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube