People have no idea what their components are worth..

HelplmChoking

So I had a guy trying to sell a used AMD stock cooler (from an FX-8350) for $20USD. I'm not sure what he thinks he's doing, since they are practically worthless, and should really be like $5..

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

People are known to over-value their belongings, and under-value others'. It's just how we are as people. 

That or he's a jackass trying to make a quick buck off of an unassuming fellow.

Just now, NonaHexa said:

People are known to over-value their belongings, and under-value others'. It's just how we are as people. 

That or he's a jackass trying to make a quick buck off of an unassuming fellow.

Its annoying since I sold my CPU + motherboard, but my stock cooler is missing its fan and this guy seems to think its worth actual money :P It's amazing considering the cooler came with the CPU it fits on, so no normal person would need a replacement. He's basically charging the same for an aftermarket cooler.

well on a facebook garage sale site a lady was selling i quote "old computer my son used to mess with" it had a i3 (bad one) with a 280x and she wanted $50 just to "get rid of it" i guess her son moved out and left it over. man what a deal

2 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

well on a facebook garage sale site a lady was selling i quote "old computer my son used to mess with" it had a i3 (bad one) with a 280x and she wanted $50 just to "get rid of it" i guess her son moved out and left it over. man what a deal

Oh damn.. I'd pay $50 for the 280x on its own..

Just now, Rangaman42 said:

Oh damn.. I'd pay $50 for the 280x on its own..

you should've seen all the comments on it that said next in line xD 

Just now, GreezyJeezy said:

you should've seen all the comments on it that said next in line xD 

If only NZ had people like that. Instead we have people charging $1000NZD for an FX-6300, stock cooler, R9 260 and 120GB SSD.. Its pathetic.

I remember going to an auction in the countryside when I was much younger and some dumb hick  farmers were bidding mere 3.5" 1.44mb floppy diskette drives with obviously broken parts to $50 a piece. 

Just now, Rangaman42 said:

If only NZ had people like that. Instead we have people charging $1000NZD for an FX-6300, stock cooler, R9 260 and 120GB SSD.. Its pathetic.

dang thats crazy. where i  live its rare to seem gaming rigs on garage sale sites and stuff, but you can find some good deals on shitty dell desktops. easy to talk down the price too if its a older person.

8 minutes ago, NonaHexa said:

That or he's a jackass

person A is selling a stock cooler at $20

person B is trying to buy stock cooler at $5

who is the jackass here?

Spoiler

the one who called others jackass `-`

Spoiler

obviously jk, but just leave people alone if you dont like their pricing ._.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

dang thats crazy. where i  live its rare to seem gaming rigs on garage sale sites and stuff, but you can find some good deals on shitty dell desktops. easy to talk down the price too if its a older person.

Some old stuff is really expensive. Got an old Asus socket 486 mobo out of an old custom PC worth $200 CAD. Got the PC for free xD

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

5 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

Oh man just think about what you did to some poor kid 

''Just gonna stay at my parents house over the holidays, eating and skyrim...its gonna be super chill''

2 days later

''Hey mom, where is that gaming pc I cobbled together from ebay that was my first self build pc and that I was really proud of?

''Ah, that old thing? Sold it for like 50 bucks''.

''what...but....I even got that decent psu and all......NOOOOOO''

I once saw a Pentium 4 on eBay...

For $800 claiming it was the fastest CPU available in 2015.

An object is worth as much as somebody is willing to pay for it and only as much as somebody is willing to sell it for. If you really need something and stock is limited, expect to pay a lot for it. If the person selling it has an emotional attachment to it or finds it more important/special, expect to pay a lot.

-KuJoe

We need a Kelly bluebooks styled database for electronic component resale values

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

I once had a lady try to sell my a 1 GB stick of SODIMM DDR2 RAM for $50. Another lady tried to sell me a Dell unit with a Core 2 Duo, 1 GB of RAM (Unspecified), and a "Gaming Graphics card" (a.k.a: one with no cooler and a female VGA and Serial port) for $600 with the same unit selling on Ebay for $25, when I sent her the link, she said that I was lying and faked the link.

Yeah most of the time people overestimate what the components are worth, but i did find someone selling a working x79 rig with a 3930k and watercooler for $200USD a week or two back, the guy bought it from some prebuilt company and didn't have a clue to how much it was actually worth.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

On 4/12/2016 at 6:21 PM, GreezyJeezy said:

50 bucks for a whole computer. Hell 50 bucks just for that 280X would have been one hell of a steal.

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

On 4/12/2016 at 11:33 AM, Clanscorpia said:

Some old stuff is really expensive. Got an old Asus socket 486 mobo out of an old custom PC worth $200 CAD. Got the PC for free xD

Kind of like my Abit VP6. $160 AUD for 2x Pentium III 1000EB, 2GB matching (with sequential serial numbers) SDRAM that can do 160MHz no problem (and at stock voltage), and the original stock coolers that are better than after market ones-and quieter with ghettod fans.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I have to agree, most people have no clue about the market value of the stuff they're selling, I got my 7870 for $70 CAD shipping included, few weeks later I see a guy on a forum asking for suggestions on a GPU upgrade, turned out he had the same 7870, I thought of a crossfire setup, so I asked how much he was looking for that 7870 ... He actually thought $160 CAD + shipping was a fair asking price! (BTW he was looking at getting a reference 290 for $200 CAD ... $40 difference between a 290 and a 7870????) lolll

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

6 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

I have to agree, most people have no clue about the market value of the stuff they're selling, I got my 7870 for $70 CAD shipping included, few weeks later I see a guy on a forum asking for suggestions on a GPU upgrade, turned out he had the same 7870, I thought of a crossfire setup, so I asked how much he was looking for that 7870 ... He actually thought $160 CAD + shipping was a fair asking price! (BTW he was looking at getting a reference 290 for $200 CAD ... $40 difference between a 290 and a 7870????) lolll

People get wrapped up in what they paid for things when they're trying to value their used hardware..

The used hardware scene is about basically linear scaling as far as "performance per dollar" is concerned, so they don't realize the premium they paid for the "EVGA 1GB" version of the 560 Ti is worth literally nothing a few years down the road..

2 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

People get wrapped up in what they paid for things when they're trying to value their used hardware..

The used hardware scene is about basically linear scaling as far as "performance per dollar" is concerned, so they don't realize the premium they paid for the "EVGA 1GB" version of the 560 Ti is worth literally nothing a few years down the road..

There aren't many things in this world that devalue both linearly and so rapidly as tech(with Intel CPUs being the exception due to clever planning on their part). Those that don't follow pricing trends can easily be caught by surprise when it comes time to sell. In addition, most tend to expect high priced items to hold at least some value over time as long as it's in good condition. It's definitely a tough pill to swallow when your $300 GTX 570 you bought a few short years ago is now worth peanuts.

That said, people appraising their belongings incorrectly is hardly exclusive to the tech world for various reasons, the one above being included.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, LinusTech said:

this is mentioned in ever scrapyard wars episode