People have no idea what their components are worth..

HelplmChoking
12 hours ago, Donald Hump said:

this is mentioned in ever scrapyard wars episode

Spoiler

like that guy in the last ep that was offering the 212evo cooler for $40 CAD used when that is near new price.

or all the GPU sellers on craigslist selling their used cards for the price of the current version xD

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

Lul some guy on local site. Fx 6100 and gtx 760 for 799. Such a steal :|

They keep forgetting that tech is fast moving. Unbox a phone and it's 50$ off new without even touching it.

Reading this thread, I can't help but think I ripped some people off by charging $700 for a gtx 970, i7 3770, 1tb HDD and 480GB SSD, and 16gb ddr3. I thought it was fare at the time (a few months ago) :/

10 minutes ago, ddrkreature said:

Reading this thread, I can't help but think I ripped some people off by charging $700 for a gtx 970, i7 3770, 1tb HDD and 480GB SSD, and 16gb ddr3. I thought it was fare at the time (a few months ago) :/

That doesn't seem too overpriced to me depending on how recent it was built.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 hour ago, ddrkreature said:

It's not that bad, I've seen much worse (similar specs but with a second gen non-k i7 without an SSD and a GT730 ... Sold as a gaming PC for $650) or HD7750 & HD7770 for 200$ !!!

Edited by wkdpaul
Typos

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

19 hours ago, LinusTech said:

People get wrapped up in what they paid for things when they're trying to value their used hardware..

The used hardware scene is about basically linear scaling as far as "performance per dollar" is concerned, so they don't realize the premium they paid for the "EVGA 1GB" version of the 560 Ti is worth literally nothing a few years down the road..

lmao I literally just bought a used gtx 560 2gb for $50 on craigslist.

My GTX 970 carries me to global.

3 hours ago, ddrkreature said:

TBH, IMO I think they got the better end of the bargain...

On 4/12/2016 at 9:16 PM, Rangaman42 said:

So I had a guy trying to sell a used AMD stock cooler (from an FX-8350) for $20USD. I'm not sure what he thinks he's doing, since they are practically worthless, and should really be like $5..

Were you trying to buy it?  Because the price is not $5 until you actually find someone willing to sell one for $5.  Who knows what he truly expects, it's not like he needs to be in a hurry to find the right buyer - it's not exactly taking up a lot of shelf space at his house.

Or, if this is just someone you happen to know, complaining that his cooler is not selling at $20, and you can point him to ones actually selling for $5 then maybe you'll help him solve his problem.

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/04/2016 at 5:35 AM, LinusTech said:

People get wrapped up in what they paid for things when they're trying to value their used hardware..

The used hardware scene is about basically linear scaling as far as "performance per dollar" is concerned, so they don't realize the premium they paid for the "EVGA 1GB" version of the 560 Ti is worth literally nothing a few years down the road..

On 14/04/2016 at 5:48 AM, Zodiark1593 said:

There aren't many things in this world that devalue both linearly and so rapidly as tech(with Intel CPUs being the exception due to clever planning on their part). Those that don't follow pricing trends can easily be caught by surprise when it comes time to sell. In addition, most tend to expect high priced items to hold at least some value over time as long as it's in good condition. It's definitely a tough pill to swallow when your $300 GTX 570 you bought a few short years ago is now worth peanuts.

That said, people appraising their belongings incorrectly is hardly exclusive to the tech world for various reasons, the one above being included.

Perhaps people don't know that most of their premium purchases are R&D and profit margin rather than manufacturing costs. Wasn't it the Japanese who invented 'lean manufacturing' and 'just in time' principles.

These consumer devices I believe are only ever designed for a 7 year service life (thermal creep) and at most 3 year replacement. Certainly I think that was what things in Europe like WEEE - 2012/19/EU and RoHS was trying to achieve. Less landfilling of electrical goods. More recycling of materials for the next generation of components.

I use the two year upgrade model. I expect to do a build. + 2 years major upgrade and/or new build.

2 years is about right to be having replaced an aged GPU and/or to replenish performance in my experience. 3 years if your build was insane at the time it was built and you're seeing no performance drop offs due to prior upgrading.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor