NVIDIAS LATEST DRIVERS KILLING GPUS AND BRICKING THEM / BLOWING UP PUTERS

El Diablo
2 minutes ago, ddswh1pk0s said:

Myself and at least 4 other people I know with graphics cards ranging from GTX 760s to GTX 980ti's always use the latest drivers and none of us have ever had any issues at all. Zip, null, nada, nothing, 0.

Not as many people do it here but on flight simulator related websites there's always people recommending to stay away from the latest nVidia drivers. Why???

My friend who plays P3D and FSX says his performance actually got BETTER in a recent driver update with his GTX 580!!! Planned obsolescence my ass...

Wether its true or not i dont know. More likely its a bug in windows 10 which is causing the crashes. It says something about errorcheck exception which i didnt get in windows 7.

32 minutes ago, Yummychickenblue said:

So I have GFE open and they haven't pulled the driver off yet. Makes me skeptical that this is actually an issue.

it's not you can safely pull it i'm on it and my performance has never been that EPIC.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

These drivers work pretty well for me on my 970. The driver problems I have had were from the one two releases back that required me to boot into safe mode and delete and then about a year or so age when for about three months the driver crashed constantly when using hardware acceleration on Chrome.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

33 minutes ago, ddswh1pk0s said:

Myself and at least 4 other people I know with graphics cards ranging from GTX 760s to GTX 980ti's always use the latest drivers and none of us have ever had any issues at all. Zip, null, nada, nothing, 0.

Not as many people do it here but on flight simulator related websites there's always people recommending to stay away from the latest nVidia drivers. Why???

My friend who plays P3D and FSX says his performance actually got BETTER in a recent driver update with his GTX 580!!! Planned obsolescence my ass...

i feel like stuff like this is a combination of events. if the drivers would actually straight up brick every card it gets installed "on" there would be hundreds of thousands of posts.

with this, and probably similar with every time AMD (and any other for that matter) drivers screw up, its more than likely edge cases that they simply didnt think of. if you comb trough it enough you'll start to find similarties between cases like multiple of them running the exact same card, with the same version of windows running so and so.

1 hour ago, CrazyCanuck said:

True.

I've never searched for anything remotely religious, and this is the first I've ever heard of "Christian Today", so I question where this profile info comes from. Nothing in my account history, search history, or even ad preferences is anything close to religion.

Google does weird stuff. Maybe their algorithm has linked that site to something else you were interested in.

1 hour ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I don't know about whether it's a joke or not but no. From all my knowledge and experience with video cards and computers in general (15+ years) I have never experienced or heard of an official driver that could destroy it's hardware.

The old 196.whatever Geforce driver did in fact destroy some hardware. That issue was probably WAY more widespread and severe than anything happening today.

I have had to RMA two 780s since updating to the latest nvidia drivers(the second one I'm pretty sure MSI just sent me a defective card, but I tried the latest geforce driver when testing so you never know), and the first was straight up bricked after 5 minutes of playing the Division on the original game ready driver @ stock settings, fans ramped to 100%, not detected by multiple motherboards, tried multiple PSUs and fresh installs, neither bios' on the card worked(MSI lightning card).

4 minutes ago, Panda689 said:

I have had to RMA two 780s since updating to the latest nvidia drivers(the second one I'm pretty sure MSI just sent me a defective card, but I tried the latest geforce driver when testing so you never know), and the first was straight up bricked after 5 minutes of playing the Division on the original game ready driver @ stock settings, fans ramped to 100%, not detected by multiple motherboards, tried multiple PSUs and fresh installs, neither bios' on the card worked(MSI lightning card).

This would be awful for me as i would need to get a full new computer, or at least Motherboard + GPU (my gpu is soldered to the mobo) 

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

so far nobody has proven it is fake but it is obvious that it is exaggerated.... Drivers being a pain and/or unusable for some but no sizzle pop kaboom of GPUs as stated in the title. Just software issues that can be reversed with safe mode and removing drivers

31 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Google does weird stuff. Maybe their algorithm has linked that site to something else you were interested in.

The old 196.whatever Geforce driver did in fact destroy some hardware. That issue was probably WAY more widespread and severe than anything happening today.

I won't say that it never happened just that I've never heard of a proven instance.  I remember reading about this on engadget back in the day. I've only seen reports that 196 had the potential to let the GPU overheat, never heard of any confirmed homicides.

Anyways, in that instance it was the fan controller causing the fan to slow or stop, which is not happening with this new driver.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

8 hours ago, El Diablo said:

cumputer

Cum .. puter?

The fastest man alive

So AMD pulls this stunt and then NVidia feels the need to copy them on this? 

Bad Green Bad...:dry:

Edit:

I am still on driver 361.??

2nd Edit:

The OP needs to fix his posting skills. The mods have locked up what 3 posts now? just waiting for this one to be locked . . . . . :dry:

You do not Copy then Paste the entire article into the post. Use quotes and Source links.

Seriously are trying to mass post articles for a badge or something, because this is not the way.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

When watching Netflix my screen went to static. This was with the 364.51 driver, not the newer one.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

40 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Could I get this in plain English (e.g. not biased)?

Here's a completely objective post.

The claims of the driver completely destroying a GPU are from an nvidia forum post with no supporting evidence.  The individual who made the posts also completely contradicts himself.

To quote the posts that the article is referring to:

"i'm 100% sure that the gpu is dead"

"I was able to enter safe mode and wipe the drivers - this got me into proper desktop and to download the new drivers"

The poster made no mention of unplugging the GPU or switching to integrated graphics.

If the GPU was 100% dead, then the user would not have been able to boot into Windows and try to re-install the same driver that caused the problem(why would you try to install the same problematic driver?)

A good reason to have graphics on the CPU die.  Nice to have a usable graphics fail-safe solution in place for situations like these.

4 hours ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

I have seen people plan April Fools jokes from the start of February, so that is not much to be surprised about. Also, like others have said, it spun out of control with people treating it as a fact, such as in here.

This doesn't give you free range to dismiss claims off-hand because they were made in March or Early April. Do you or anyone else actually have any evidence of it being an organized prank?

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

3 minutes ago, ThatGuyWhoTwirlsHisPen said:

This doesn't give you free range to dismiss claims off-hand because they were made in March or Early April. Do you or anyone else actually have any evidence of it being an organized prank?

I totally agree with your claim about the April Fools Joke, but on the same note nobody has any evidence of this driver destroying a GPU.

14 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I totally agree with your claim about the April Fools Joke, but on the same note nobody has any evidence of this driver destroying a GPU.

I HAVE EVIDENCE it does not...my GPU is still working under the new driver and many people posted already claiming their cards are still working as well :)

done.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR