FBI Agrees to Unlock Another iPhone in Homicide Case

Goddamn! is DJ khaled running the FBI?  #AnotherOne

unlock-iphone-6.png

BBC is reporting that FBI has agreed to unlock another locked iphone to access it's data to assist in a criminal investigation case of a homicide & Guess what?  the FBI agrees to unlock it using the same method that was used to unlock the San Bernardino case i-phone which was rumored to been hacked using a third party software made my an Israeli Mobile Forensic Firm Cellebrite , there was a rumor whether this third party assisting the agency found a flaw across Apple devices or found a workaround only to the specific phone. this means it's a generic one , pretty much without apple not knowing what it is to even consider patching it, every other device in the planet is literally vulnerable to this!

Police in Arkansas wish to unlock an iPhone and iPod belonging to two teenagers accused of killing a couple, according to the Associated Press (AP).

Less than a day after its San Bernardino announcement, the FBI agreed to help in the homicide case.

Unlock1.png

FBI so kawai!  'Willingness to help'

"We always appreciate [the FBI's] cooperation and willingness to help their local law enforcement partners," Faulkner County prosecuting attorney Cody Hilland told the AP.

Although this is the case there was an official statement from their attorney for Mr Drexler saying that  he was "not concerned" about any data on the phone.(geez , i wonder why they are even making the statement in the first place)

In case of the first unlocking event there was an official statement from A senior federal law enforcement official who spoke on the condition of anonymity said "it was possible that law enforcement might not find anything useful on the phone" obviously followed up with refusal to reveal what they actually found out

fotograma1.jpg

it always starts with just one..

The New Case:

Hunter Drexler, 18, and Justin Staton, 15, are accused of killing Robert and Patricia Cogdell at their home in Conway, Arkansas last July.

The New case is for an iPhone 6 and an iPod that may contain evidence in a murder case that belonged to two teenagers accused of killing Patricia and Robert Cogdell in Conway, Ark., in July in 2015

the original case that feds were after was for a San Bernardino case in which Syed Farook and his wife were shot dead after killing 14 people in December. this lead the feds to ask the phone manufacturer apple to write a new software that would allow it to gain access to Farook's iPhone. However, Apple refused, arguing it would be wrong to compromise the security of one of its devices since that might lead to vulnerabilities in many other iPhones. And Ladida, it's happening!

iphone.jpg

Option that prevented FBI to attempt Brute force on the iphone

The company was ordered by Magistrate Judge Sheri Pym to offer its technical assistance, including if required, provide signed software to bypass or disable an auto-erase function on the phone. The FBI was apprehensive that if the function had been turned on, the auto-erase function would delete the data on the phone after 10 unsuccessful tries.  Apple somewhat bravely decline that offer & went into legal battle to counteract it , alas atleast extending the time taken for the phone to be unlocked, but no hopes now..

"Apple says the FBI has not shared its technique with the company ... and its lawyers have previously said they'd push for such a disclosure."

Justin Olsson, product counsel at security software maker AVG Technologie said that "The responsible thing for the government to do is privately disclose the vulnerability to Apple so they can continue hardening security on their devices." Pretty sure that would not happen

29906170001_4761075188001_4761073140001-

Quote from an open letter to it's customers & public from the Apple CEO Tim cook

So..the ethical dilemma! ,  what are your thoughts on this? Post what you think & how far should this continue in your opinion or should this be a norm to keep bad guys away & in check? What do you think? post your opinions down below...

“In the wrong hands, this software—which does not exist today—would have the potential to unlock any iPhone in someone’s physical possession”

-  Tim Cook

Source:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35933239

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/03/31/472497468/fbi-to-help-arkansas-prosecutor-unlock-iphone-linked-to-murder-case

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/fbi-may-unlock-iphone-in-ark-murder-case/112793333

WWLTV link Cort(@SansVarnic)

anotheronelol.JPG

Details separate people.

It'll get worse until Apple releases a fix to block them from gaining access.

Well, for this time, I hope Apple wins the battle with its lawyers to disclose all of this bullshit.

FBI are indeed abusing their power. Fuck them.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

If you lose your phone or your computer, or your HDD, or whatever, expect the person that has it, to be able to access your data in it.

Encryption is a deterrent to make honest people honest, and most theft with limited knowledge/resource to not access the data, but it can be accessed for the person that wants to. Much like your door lock at home. If someone wants in, they'll go in, no matter how thick and solid your doors and walls (and windows) are. If someone has a bulldozer or tank, that person will get in.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Encryption is a deterrent to make honest people honest

I agree with everything you said but i don't understand what you mean be this.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

This is a different case. Here law enforcement wants to get in and has a way in. In the San Bernardino case law enforcement didn't have a way in (or so we are led to believe) and they asked Apple to make a way in by weakening their own security.

I mean, this won't be done in the same way the FBI has "unlocked" the iPhone 5c that started the whole debate. This case is still very much a thing, so the defenders have all the rights in the world (and a judge will agree with them) to see the tools used to break into this iPhone/iPod Touch so that they can look for code/methods that was made with the sole purpose of altering evidence. This means that the method will become public, something the FBI doesn't want to happen to the San Bernardino case and something Apple does want to happen.

And eh, "Just one phone", amirite?

Ye ole' train

1 minute ago, Memories4K said:

Anybody could get in if they wanted

The FBI asked

Shipping sucks

1 minute ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Well, as long as law enforcement does it...

I mean, this won't be done in the same way the FBI has "unlocked" the iPhone 5c that started the whole debate. This case is still very much a thing, so the defenders have all the rights in the world (and a judge will agree with them) to see the tools used to break into this iPhone/iPod Touch so that they can look for code/methods that was made with the sole purpose of altering evidence. This means that the method will become public, something the FBI doesn't want to happen to the San Bernardino case and something Apple does want to happen.

And eh, "Just one phone", amirite?

but,knowing the FBI and the NSA,it's gonna become more than just "one phone" and then they're going to shoot john legere in the back of the head for not letting them access tmo's phones

11 minutes ago, Memories4K said:

It is an expression. People have doors locks to prevent a honest person that might be a bit too curious and trespass, but has no intension of any harm of any kind.

It is an expression. People have doors locks to prevent a honest person that might be a bit too curious and trespass, but has no intension of any harm of any kind.

Oh, i see!

I didn't understand why an honest person needed to be kept being honest but i see what you meant now.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

56 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

If you lose your phone or your computer, or your HDD, or whatever, expect the person that has it, to be able to access your data in it.

Encryption is a deterrent to make honest people honest, and most theft with limited knowledge/resource to not access the data, but it can be accessed for the person that wants to. Much like your door lock at home. If someone wants in, they'll go in, no matter how thick and solid your doors and walls (and windows) are. If someone has a bulldozer or tank, that person will get in.

I want to build my home made of Adamantium so no one can break into my house!

But fuck it, Magneto can get into my house...! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

4 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

I want to build my home made of Adamantium so no one can break into my house!

But fuck it, Magneto can get into my house...! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

just build your home in outback australia.

every creature and the enviroment outside the house wanna murder you/anyone else

no internet = no NSA, malware, spyware, ransomware etc..

downsides:
you'd be living in the middle of outback australia

you have to deal with "data packet rate" with the same latency and reliability of mail-pidgeons

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

just build your home in outback australia.

every creature and the enviroment outside the house wanna murder you/anyone else

no internet = no NSA, malware, spyware, ransomware etc..

downsides:
you'd be living in the middle of outback australia

you have to deal with "data packet rate" with the same latency and reliability of mail-pidgeons

I cannot trust mail-pidgeons so I want to live in my house with wifi.

DAC/AMPs:

1 hour ago, Mikius10001 said:

What will they spill this time? Their Apple Juice?

I hope you know that the FBI spilling water on the iPhone they unlocked was a joke article written by The New Yorker.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

12 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

I cannot trust mail-pidgeons so I want to live in my house with wifi.

use mail-emu

the aussie military tried to eradicate those birds with machineguns, and failed. Pretty reliable. Not sure how well they will fare once they are crossing over to US servers though

Just now, Prysin said:

use mail-emu

the aussie military tried to eradicate those birds with machineguns, and failed. Pretty reliable. Not sure how well they will fare once they are crossing over to US servers though

What about potatoe-mail? Will that work?

DAC/AMPs:

Just now, Prysin said:

use mail-emu

DAC/AMPs:

Encryption is a deterrent to make honest people honest

With technology right now, some encryption algorithms implemented correctly wouldn't be cracked for hundreds (and thousands) of years. Basic encryption? Could be broken. Advanced stuff is an actual lock that can't be broken without a key (and if the key doesn't exist.. never.)

I used to be quite active here.

1 minute ago, CTR640 said:

only if you plan your packet route to avoid all burger resutrants. If you do not avoid them, your packets will be sliced into individual slices and sold to random customers. Could be really bad.

1 minute ago, CTR640 said:

only if you plan your packet route to avoid all burger resutrants. If you do not avoid them, your packets will be sliced into individual slices and sold to random customers. Could be really bad.

2 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Good derail. Am proud.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

31 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Or you could use proper encryption and then you don't have to expect your lost devices to get compromised.

You know, something like Truecrypt which has never been found to have any vulnerabilities nor has it been confirmed to have been broken by any government agency (the closest thing to "breaking it" was that all of a sudden after a plea bargain they got access to the password).

I mean, there is still a possibility that they can get in, but the risk of that is smaller than getting struck by lighting, and I do not "expect" that to happen when I am walking around outside.

I wonder if the FBI can actually access the phone. We are told that the exploit worked on the 5C, but the iPhone 6S got a completely different security model.