Scrapyard Wars Season 4 - With Special Guest BS Mods

With the commentary in between the show and everything else this almost looks like a TV show or something... Perhaps it could become one some day. It definitely has a lot going for it. I absolutely love what you did this season and I can't wait for the next one. For me, the Scrapyard Wars alone was probably worth the yearly Vessel subscription.

Beside that I also got some ideas for the next seasons (not all are good, but some are worth thinking through):

• most "futureproof" PC
  • Nvidia vs AMD (one team only uses Nvidia graphics and the other one AMD; there are more variants of this, for example Intel&Nvidia vs all AMD, Intel vs AMD CPUs... tho I kinda feel like that would give one team an advantage)
  • only allowed Intel/AMD CPUs or only Nvidia/AMD graphics (similar to the previous one)
  • most compact/portable build
  • best Editing build (IMO the best one here)

Let me know what you think about these.

Also @LinusTech @Slick when approximately is the next season coming?

First, let me begin by saying I loved SYW Season 4 and I subscribed to Vessel because of it. I bought one of your shirts because of it. The main message is I loved it, ok?

The suggestions below are secondary to the main message:  Don’t Stop. I loved it. You all rock.  

Season 5 Suggestions:

Luke and Linus team up with another pair of case modders again. I’s be quite happy if it were Rod and Bob, or somebody new is fine too. Given that Rod and Bob proved to be great in front of the camera, perhaps you should leave well enough alone, but whatever.

RANDOM THEME BUILD: Prior to the competition, the staff at LMG puts together 12 “themes” on 12 separate cards/ slip of paper. The themes are general descriptions, of some interest to PC enthusiasts that would be recognizable to viewers.

Example: Star Wars, Star Trek, DOOM, Skyrim, Sports Team, WoW, Half-Life,  Marvel or DC Cinematic  Universe, Poker, Game of Thrones, Guns n’ Roses, whatever -- etc.. Point is: something with a strong theme that a few words may instantly describe.

At the beginning of the competition, each team draws its theme card in secret out of a hat and keeps the result secret from the other team until the reveal.

Budget – $900 was fine, but, whatever.

Judging – 50/50 Theme and Performance for a total score of 100. The build must be constructed in accordance with the theme.  

BONUS: For every $20 the team does not spend from its budget, it may add 1 point to its final score. This adds an element of price/performance and encourages haggling and pricing drama. There needs to be MORE of that.

WHY? Because it makes for filming entertaining purchases and results in way less less “just give me the system at that price” purchasing – which is BORING. Boring isn’t okay. Ever.  And "zero haggle drama" just isn’t the way your viewers actually buy from Craigslist either – so it shouldn’t be the way SYW does it.  

NEW RULE: Neither Luke nor Linus may make the call to a seller unless they are calling using an assumed name and an alternate gmail address with a different non-recognizable name on a phone tht does not identify who they really are.  If either calls saying his name is "Dave" or “Steve” or whatever -- that’s fine. But calling and saying "it's Linus" calling is NOT fine. It has to stop. 

If there is  haggling to be done face to face, then neither Linus nor Luke can do it and they cannot be present at the deal. Their teammate must do it on their own with just the camera man present. IMO, the R9 290 Reference Card “lottery win” was the direct result of favoritism by a subscriber. With FAME comes penalties. This needs to stop in order for the competition to keep a pretension to being fair.

A LITTLE BIT MORE TIME: Consider adding one additional day for build/construction to permit better execution of the random themed case mod.

3 hours ago, Giganizer300PRO said:

With the commentary in between the show and everything else this almost looks like a TV show or something... Perhaps it could become one some day. It definitely has a lot going for it. I absolutely love what you did this season and I can't wait for the next one. For me, the Scrapyard Wars alone was probably worth the yearly Vessel subscription.

Beside that I also got some ideas for the next seasons (not all are good, but some are worth thinking through):

• most "futureproof" PC
  • Nvidia vs AMD (one team only uses Nvidia graphics and the other one AMD; there are more variants of this, for example Intel&Nvidia vs all AMD, Intel vs AMD CPUs... tho I kinda feel like that would give one team an advantage)
  • only allowed Intel/AMD CPUs or only Nvidia/AMD graphics (similar to the previous one)
  • most compact/portable build
  • best Editing build (IMO the best one here)

Let me know what you think about these.

Also @LinusTech @Slick when approximately is the next season coming?

I like these ideas. :) I've thought of a few too...

• Spend at least "half your budget" on one of the 2 major parts (CPU/GPU), but weight the benchmark the *other* way.  (Remember @LinusTech in S01E03 guessing @Slick had a 7970; he had a 290 but got rekt because of weak CPU.)
  • Do a vintage/nostalgic build season - use parts from, for example, their first ever computer or their parents' first, or equivalent-age, or, parts that were already discontinued before the year the oldest contestant was born.
  • A NAS/backup server where just one 5-8TB (appropriate-purpose- no Green or Archive in a RAID, although Seagate 8TB Archive drives may be used in single-drive mode) hard drive costs more (when bought new at normal market price on Newegg/Amazon/etc) than the rest of the entire system combined, including software and peripherals.
  • Hot-part-using ultra-compact silent build - CPU at least as hot as a 50%-OC'd FX-9590, GPU at least as hot as a 295x2 with heavy OC - in Fractal Node 202 or smaller case, passively cooled (also no case/PSU fans, although the PSU would sit outside the case). Use Prime95 28.7 small FFT to heat CPU if using Haswell-E, or equivalent-heat stress test if another platform.  Bench in southwest USA desert when/where ambient air temp is >50°C and ground is >80°C. (PC would sit on the ground.)
  • On the other end of the ambient heat scale - build a system with no cooling at all (even de-lidding the CPU). Take it to Vostok Station, Antarctica, and see what performance you can get out of it.

Some of these may need extended shopping time so ebay could be used.

Also, some ideas for rules for one future "normal-build" season (like 1 & 3):

• When shopping, take the first available part in each category (based on when the seller responds and is available for pickup), no leveraging options for better deals.  (Be careful which ads you reach out to in the first place.)
  • All shopping must be completed *before* building starts.
  • OC may be used, but if there's *any* instability or crashing during benching, then first time, *ALL* OCs must be reset to stock.  2nd time, they have the choice of
  1. Underclocking all the way (bclk 60 or whatever the lowest is, multiplier 8 on CPU) on all components,
  2. Choosing the lowest-end/oldest part off a warehouse shelf capable of running the benchmark (like the Pentium 4 from the season 3 troll system or the 9500 GS from 2 gamers 1 CPU), but calculating price/performance as if you'd bought the most expensive part in that category (for example, for GPU it might be 4-way SLI Tesla)

20 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

I like these ideas. :) I've thought of a few too...

• Spend at least "half your budget" on one of the 2 major parts (CPU/GPU), but weight the benchmark the *other* way.  (Remember @LinusTech in S01E03 guessing @Slick had a 7970; he had a 290 but got rekt because of weak CPU.)
  • Do a vintage/nostalgic build season - use parts from, for example, their first ever computer or their parents' first, or equivalent-age, or, parts that were already discontinued before the year the oldest contestant was born.
  • A NAS/backup server where just one 5-8TB (appropriate-purpose- no Green or Archive in a RAID, although Seagate 8TB Archive drives may be used in single-drive mode) hard drive costs more (when bought new at normal market price on Newegg/Amazon/etc) than the rest of the entire system combined, including software and peripherals.
  • Hot-part-using ultra-compact silent build - CPU at least as hot as a 50%-OC'd FX-9590, GPU at least as hot as a 295x2 with heavy OC - in Fractal Node 202 or smaller case, passively cooled (also no case/PSU fans, although the PSU would sit outside the case). Use Prime95 28.7 small FFT to heat CPU if using Haswell-E, or equivalent-heat stress test if another platform.  Bench in southwest USA desert when/where ambient air temp is >50°C and ground is >80°C. (PC would sit on the ground.)
  • On the other end of the ambient heat scale - build a system with no cooling at all (even de-lidding the CPU). Take it to Vostok Station, Antarctica, and see what performance you can get out of it.

Some of these may need extended shopping time so ebay could be used.

Also, some ideas for rules for one future "normal-build" season (like 1 & 3):

• When shopping, take the first available part in each category (based on when the seller responds and is available for pickup), no leveraging options for better deals.  (Be careful which ads you reach out to in the first place.)
  • All shopping must be completed *before* building starts.
  • OC may be used, but if there's *any* instability or crashing during benching, then first time, *ALL* OCs must be reset to stock.  2nd time, they have the choice of
  1. Underclocking all the way (bclk 60 or whatever the lowest is, multiplier 8 on CPU) on all components,
  2. Choosing the lowest-end/oldest part off a warehouse shelf capable of running the benchmark (like the Pentium 4 from the season 3 troll system or the 9500 GS from 2 gamers 1 CPU), but calculating price/performance as if you'd bought the most expensive part in that category (for example, for GPU it might be 4-way SLI Tesla)

Definitely some nice ideas. Looks like I forgot to mention the NAS in my thread, but it would be really interesting to see one, especially because there probably aren't many useful ones on the use market. Would most likely have to buy new drives in that case.

14 hours ago, Giganizer300PRO said:

Definitely some nice ideas. Looks like I forgot to mention the NAS in my thread, but it would be really interesting to see one, especially because there probably aren't many useful ones on the use market. Would most likely have to buy new drives in that case.

You mentioning the NAS reminded me... If they did one that supported ECC and ZFS, that build also would need to be less than the cost of a single Hitachi 4TB NAS or 5TB WD Red, but the RAM (as well as the drives) would be extra.  (Also I'd want it to support at least 32, preferably 64 GB or more of DDR3 or newer ECC, with at least 6 SATA ports or more.)  If using UnRaid, the cost of that would be included in the build.

Awesome series Guys. Custom moding FTW.

I always love scrapyard wars, and it is much better with the longer episodes, great for watching videos during class, I mean of coarse when all my work is done, definitely. 

I have recently been doing a project for design tech at school were I will be custom creating and moding a DIY server rack from scratch using some pine, steal L beams and some RGB led strips for effect. I would love to see what you could come up with. Maybe an idea for scrapyard wars season 5? 

Whats the specs and fps for each of the machines?  I cant find em.

watching the performance judging was impossible - can't tell which one's witch,

would also help if you listed the main components on the screen for both builds - I still don't know what GPU was used in Rod's build?

I did not understand who won the individual tests, from the expressions and reactions of competitors it looked like the i7-860 won the Cinebench but afterwards on Linux's scoring table he wrote down 10/10 for all tests

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

That blue flame coming out the front of luke's case certainly looked dangerous when everyone started putting their hands near it to have a look at linus' system.

I would have been giving that thing a great distance, especially since it was burning on gas which is extremely flammable. 

39 minutes ago, DXMember said:

I did not understand who won the individual tests, from the expressions and reactions of competitors it looked like the i7-860 won the Cinebench but afterwards on Linux's scoring table he wrote down 10/10 for all tests

Linus wrote 10/10 in all tests because his pc won them all, Luke's pc did get a percentage of this mark, 

Sorry for Bad English, Baguette here 

STENDHAL: CPU: i5 6600K | MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Ranger | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz | Case: CM HAF XB | Storage: Kingston UV400 240GB SSD + 750GB WD Blue | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212X | PSU: Corsair RM750X

I actually thought Luke&Rod's build was going to pull way ahead with those scores for aesthetics, but damn on performance it was a turn around to such a close score difference. Personally I wouldn't be able to choose between the two in general, the Mad Max theme is damn sick and a clean and slick finish is very eyepleasing but at the end of the day I don't want my house catching on fire.

So next year I'm expecting those Cardboard Box builds @LinusTech @Slick

I found a build in Bilibili(a Chinese video share website).

It cost 100 Yuan (about 14 US dollor).

It was build full of second-hand hardware.

In 3DMARK06 it get 4398 point ,but surface pro 3 only got 3992 point .

Here is the video link http://www.bilibili.com/video/av4436787/

You need Dinnis to translate into English .

I think the next Scrapyard Wars should held in China ?

19 minutes ago, BbsMentos said:

Linus wrote 10/10 in all tests because his pc won them all, Luke's pc did get a percentage of this mark, 

what was the percentage? or am I supposed to reverse-engineer it from the total score?

don't try to appear smarter, I get that Linux won them all,

just agree that it seems like a rushed and sloppy job on the editors part

can you tell me what GPU did Rod's system use?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

38 minutes ago, ModuleLFS said:

I actually thought Luke&Rod's build was going to pull way ahead with those scores for aesthetics, but damn on performance it was a turn around to such a close score difference. Personally I wouldn't be able to choose between the two in general, the Mad Max theme is damn sick and a clean and slick finish is very eyepleasing but at the end of the day I don't want my house catching on fire.

So next year I'm expecting those Cardboard Box builds @LinusTech @Slick

Luke's build was impressive to look at, Linus' built a far better computer. 

I really like that old case, its clearly a G5 Mac Pro ripoff, but the Mac Pro has arguably the most attractive tower of all time.

Would be fun if they make something unusual next time - like building a laptop without using laptop components and laptops.

27 minutes ago, DXMember said:

what was the percentage? or am I supposed to reverse-engineer it from the total score?

So, Luke did get 48.6 on average for the looks, linus got 36.7.

Then, Linus got 50/50 for performance, which goes to the final 86.7 he had. Luke ended up with 85.9, equivalent to 37.3/50 on performance or 74.6% of the Linus' performance.

I didn't meant to appear smarter than you, I'm sorry if you thought I did :)

STENDHAL: CPU: i5 6600K | MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Ranger | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz | Case: CM HAF XB | Storage: Kingston UV400 240GB SSD + 750GB WD Blue | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212X | PSU: Corsair RM750X

Wow that was crazy knew Luke was going to win the aesthetics cause that theme is absolutely BA and Linus was putting a lot into hardware

39 minutes ago, BbsMentos said:

So, Luke did get 48.6 on average for the looks, linus got 36.7.

Then, Linus got 50/50 for performance, which goes to the final 86.7 he had. Luke ended up with 85.9, equivalent to 37.3/50 on performance or 74.6% of the Linus' performance.

I didn't meant to appear smarter than you, I'm sorry if you thought I did :)

and would you be so kind to break up the individual tests as well, because I have a feeling the SATA II interface on that SSD test reck'd the total average quite hard

and again what was the GPU used in Rod's build?

Did Rod have any overclocks oh his system?

please recall the Cinebench numbers for me again, I quite didn't get it from the shaky-cam split-screen which one's which or what scores did they get

Does anybody know what kind of knockoff g5 case linus used? I actually like it but can't find it online. Looks good and doesn't have the work needed of true hackintosh.

Specs: Amd 1700x | NH-u12s | Asus crosshair hero vi | 2x8g Gskill flare x | Zotac 1080 | Samsung 960 EVO | Seasonic ssr-750GD | Thermaltake core x5 |

11 minutes ago, DXMember said:

and would you be so kind to break up the individual tests as well, because I have a feeling the SATA II interface on that SSD test reck'd the total average quite hard

and again what was the GPU used in Rod's build?

Did Rod have any overclocks oh his system?

please recall the Cinebench numbers for me again, I quite didn't get it from the shaky-cam split-screen which one's which or what scores did they get

Couldn't see the 7-zip results, Cinebench, Linus got 585, Luke got 452 (not quite sure, I don't have a 4K monitor) which is 77% ish, so 7.7/10 for luke on cinebench. From the ferw I could see, I think luke got 5/10 for the SSD, couldn't see much. Nothing readable on the crysis benchmark too. On Tomb Raider, Linus got 62.7 and Luke 41.2, representing 65.7% of Linus' performance, giving luke 6.6/10. Which ends at 19.3/30 for luke on the 3 tests I was able to see, meaning he got 18/20 on the 2 other ones. 

Hope it was clear enough, wrote this while watching back the video :)

Also @LinusTech , It would be very nice to have more details on the final specs and final benchmarks results on the video or in the description because the end of the last episode felt "blurry". Awesome series anyways keep going !

Were the benchmark scores for the runner up in each test calculated by the percentage of the winning score? For example if the winning average FPS was 60 in Tomb Raider, and the runner up got 42 FPS, did the winner get 10/10 and the runner up 7/10 (because 42 is 70% of 60)?

I think the aesthetic scores were fair too - Linus and Bob spent so much money on hardware that they really didn't do anything exciting with the case. Dennis' comment on it being 'student' was bang on! So funny.

Wish we could get a version with the language not being censored. 

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

Just saw the final episode and I as a whole I liked the series. However, the previous season of SYW would have benefited much much more of having longer episodes. And I liked that Dennis got to be a judge.

But I am sort of feeling that the concept is already made, unless you are going to do something really crazy again like DIY water cooling.

If I were to make a wish, I would like to see regular Vlogs on Sundays.

what was linus and bob's CPU?

nvm its a 2500k

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz