Scrapyard Wars Season 4 - With Special Guest BS Mods

This amazing can't wait for the epi 4 on youtube. Just to keep you informed some people are posting your videos (of scrapyard wars) on torrents from Vessle report those torrents immediately.

Just finished EP.4 and I gotta say the one thing I'm somewhat disappointed with is that Luke's system wasn't REQUIRED to run benchmarks with the fire going. The tactical choice of "actual fire" should have played a part in his benchmark scores. Sure Linus would have still won, but it seems like Luke was let off easy. But overall, it was great to watch. Now, find a friend in the USA, and go there for Scrapyard Wars V - USA Edition!xD

Hey @LinusTech are you aware the the video is only uploaded in 360p? you've probably already been told, but just making sure ^-^

do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right, Because their words had forked no lightening they, Do not go gentle  into that good night.  -Dylan Thomas

Season 4, Episode 3 - What's the name of the song at 26:09 - 26:12? I can't find it and I've been hearing it sporadically throughout the video. I've googled the lyrics "I'm wondering where to find the one I love when love is blind." and I've found nothing and I can't really hear any other lyrics. Help! I'M DESPERATE.

Team Linus cheating as always :D

I've got some paint in my toolbox so we can use that and save some money

I've got some led strips in my toolbox so we can use that and save some money

Is like picking stuff off the shelf at LMG storage like coolers, cases etc. With that few bucks left for the team it really means team Linus is over its budget.

Loved the whole season and I really thought Bob and Rod were great, too. Bob's haggle personality, in particular, started to really shine for the camera and Rod's creativity rocked the whole series. If you were going to have Rod and Bob back for a season 5 rematch? I would be TOTALLY fine with that.

1 hour ago, SaperPL said:

Team Linus cheating as always :D

Is like picking stuff off the shelf at LMG storage like coolers, cases etc. With that few bucks left for the team it really means team Linus is over its budget.

Rod used the same lighting from their toolbox. It was even-Steven on the lighting.

hmm...

not only are there random white dots, now there are random blue spots

i think they should be checking their camera or their editing softwares...

Spoiler

Untitled.png

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Wow that was sure close on the final score! :) I did expect the general categories (aesthetics vs performance) to go the way they did, though. :P

@Slick's comment on depleting the local supply of good parts, and suggesting doing a future SYW somewhere else reminds me of an idea I had. :) ...

Basically, you'd build a silent "heater" in a very small case, and test it in a warm area. :)

In more detail...

• For the case, the maximum size would be one of @JoshFractal's Node 202s.  (If you could use a case so small that a mini ITX board takes up the entire inside surface area, and there isn't room for the I/O ports on the back to stack vertically (like about the thickness of a laptop/tablet), that'd be interesting too.)
  • For the CPU, I'm thinking something like a 130+-watt Intel.  (I'd suggest the AMD FX-9590 as well, but there aren't any mini ITX boards compatible with it.  However, ASRock does make a mini ITX Socket 2011-v3 board.)
  • The GPU would be something like an R9 295X2, or GTX 480.
  • On both the CPU and GPU, they would be overclocked so that each one requires its own dedicated 1600-watt PSU (like the EVGA 1600W T2).  In the case of a dual-GPU card, that applies for each GPU. :)
  • (Of course, having the PSUs outside the case isn't only permitted, it would be required due to space considerations.)
  • The CPU and GPU cooling would have to be absolutely silent, as well as the case.  (If it registers *at all* on LMG's best microphone when it's in direct contact with the cooler, it fails the test.)  I'm primarily thinking heatsinks only, but maybe there's another type of silent cooler whose existence I'm not aware of?
  • Also the heatsinks must be contained entirely within the case.  It is permissible to also use the case itself in heat dissipation, but it must not be so hot you can't comfortably hold it in your bare hands while the PC is under load. :)
  • Shopping for the parts could be done in places like San Diego, Los Angeles, Bakersfield, Barstow, Las Vegas, Yuma, Palm Springs, etc.
  • The actual benchmarking would take place in a fairly warm area, like Death Valley or east of Palm Springs, CA, in summer, when/where the ambient temperature is at least 50°C.
  • Also, one of the heat test programs should be Prime95 28.7 small FFT, or a similarly-heat-producing equivalent.  (On my i7-4790K with a 212 Evo, it was hitting 100°C at 3.8-3.9 GHz last week before I cleaned about a year's worth of dust out.  After, it was around 91°C at 4.2 GHz.)

Or, if it's not possible to have 3,000+ watts of heat in a laptop-sized case cooled silently, what would be the most TDP/heat in the smallest case that @LinusTech and Luke could pull off? :)

.                                                                                                                                            .

Or, another idea I have would involve at least one using an APU (or Intel iGPU).  Then, instead of Linus opening Luke's system (like in SYW1) and saying "wh--how did you get a 290?!", it'd be one of them opening the other's system and saying "wh--HEY WHERE'S YOUR VIDEO CARD?!!" :)

Also, maybe a few suggestions for rules on one season, for a bit of a challenge:

• When shopping, don't just willy nilly make offers and pick and choose, just take the first part in each category that's available.  (Available meaning the seller responds and is willing to sell.)  Some fudging is acceptable when you need to ensure compatibility, though.
  • *ALL* shopping must be completed BEFORE you start building.
  • After building, and when benching, an overclock is permitted, BUT... as *soon* as any issues are experienced, *ALL* overclocks must be turned off (CPU, GPU, RAM, BCLK, etc), everything reset to factory/stock settings.
  • In the case of a second crash/glitch/whatever, you have the choice of either...
  1. Underclocking all the way (for example taking a recent Intel CPU to a multipler of 8 and lowering BCLK to like 80 or 90 or whatever is the lowest it will go), or
  2. Choosing the lowest-end part in LMG's stash (like the 9500 GS GPU, for example) that will at least run the benchmarks/games.  In this case, though, for calculating price/performance, you'd assume you had bought the highest end components made in that category (for example Quadro M6000s in 4-way SLI). :P

I'd  thought of a few other future SYW season ideas, but they seem to be escaping my brain at the moment...

They went over Linus' system specks at the end but I never caught what Luke's was.

Can anyone tell me what CPU/GPU/Motherboard Lukes system had?

Fractal Design Define R5 | i7-4790k | Corsair H80 | Asus Z97-Pro WiFi | 2 x EVGA GTX 970 SSC+ | 16GB G.Skill Sniper@1866MHz | Samsung 840 Evo 256 GB | 1TB + 750GB drives | EVGA 750W G2 | 27" BenQ IPS 1440p@60Hz | Windows 10

3 hours ago, yippy3000 said:

They went over Linus' system specks at the end but I never caught what Luke's was.

Can anyone tell me what CPU/GPU/Motherboard Lukes system had?

Spoiler

The CPU was an Athlon 860 with a proprietary HP mobo, not sure about the gpu though. It was snuck in at night, but it was a Windforce card.

Edited by ace_cheaply
Moved the message a spoiler box

i guess half of the people are like "fuck it im getting vessel to watch the finale now" :D

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

5 hours ago, ChalkChalkson said:

Is it ok to talk about E04 here?

probably not :D

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

11 hours ago, Daveeede said:

Ummmmm I'd be willing to bet the next edition will be in Toronto and feature Dimitry from Hardware Canucks. 

i dont know. they probably need 2 youtubers in the same city just to have more space for seperating the work areas and for the whole crew to sleep somewhere. i dont think linus is going to get a hotel for everybody.

56 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

i dont know. they probably need 2 youtubers in the same city just to have more space for seperating the work areas and for the whole crew to sleep somewhere. i dont think linus is going to get a hotel for everybody.

Yes, SYW requires the homes and offices and workshop studios and cars of LMG to work. It's too expensive to do a San Jose version -- or even a Toronto version. Won't work.

The availability of hardware issue in Vancouver area isn't generally that large, even if at this specific time it was. I think the bigger issue is whether Linus and Luke are too well known and that knowledge undermines the validity of the transaction.

Because the guy who sold the Reference Radeon R 290 to Bob for a VERY low price in the market absolutely knew that was going to Linus for SYW, imo.

This is addressed in future seasons by getting a team-mate to make the call from the very start.  

3 hours ago, ace_cheaply said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The CPU was an Athlon 860 with a proprietary HP mobo, not sure about the gpu though. It was snuck in at night, but it was a Windforce card.

Ahh I must have missed something then, I thought it was a Lynnfield Intel with the same number.

And the mobo issues are another reason why if my dad gets a desktop when he replaces his ~8-yr-old Dell D830 laptop, I want him to build his own, not buy a pre-built, even if it's Dell, HP, Asus, EVGA (do they offer pre-built systems?), etc.  I & others can help him with building one - last time he built one was I think 2002.

Edited by PianoPlayer88Key

1 hour ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Ahh I must have missed something then, I thought it was a Lynnfield Intel with the same number.

And the mobo issues are another reason why if my dad gets a desktop when he replaces his ~8-yr-old Dell D830 laptop, I want him to build his own, not buy a pre-built, even if it's Dell, HP, Asus, EVGA (do they offer pre-built systems?), etc.  I & others can help him with building one - last time he built one was I think 2002.

I7-860 it had hyperthreading the GPU is a mystery to me

So, did the previous owner of that liquid cooler hook it up to an aquarium full of goldfish or something?

I wanna know the Background music of Luke and Rodin the last 3 minutes . Thank you so much.

What's with Linus' camera? one little white speck on screen since at least episode 2? I think? I first noticed it on Episode 3 and I freaked, I thought I had a dead pixel on my BRAND NEW TV! thanks for the heart attack guys!

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

11 hours ago, ace_cheaply said:
  Hide contents

i7 860*

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

7 hours ago, evel79nj said:

I7-860 it had hyperthreading the GPU is a mystery to me

I'm wondering if it *was* the i7....

Spoiler

@Slick: "we DO have more threads than they do".  (Linus used a 2500K I believe.)

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here's my suggestion for next season:

All three contestants are given a new budget CPU and a Dremel with some standard set of attachments. Next, they draw straws to determine who gets first pick of a compatible motherboard between EATX, uATX, and mITX. They then pick, in reverse order, from complete working pre-2005 mail-order systems (Dell, Compaq, Gateway, etc).

Contestants are scored on both performance and aesthetics, but are not allowed to use any additional standard case parts beyond what they were initially given.