Scrapyard Wars Season 4 - With Special Guest BS Mods

Loved the show until the final and more specifically the judging part which ruined it for me. The whole "let's make the judges film with smartphones so we can show the dbrand skins on them" was a terrible idea. It resulted in the whole judging part being filmed terrible: the camera angles were bad, all the time the cameras(phones) were pointed at the judges instead of the PC's resulting it almost no footage of the builds - especially their insides... we can hear the judges commenting and pointing so many times at the cable sleeving on the madmax mod without a single actual shot of it. All that terrible camera work and the very short showing of the benchmarking(especially on Luke's PC) made the final(or atleast the second half of the video) seem very rushed even though the video is 40 something minutes. Thanks DBrand... this is a perfect example where being forced to have the sponsor positioned in the content of the video.. end up ruining it.

Personal thoughts on the results from the final and the whole concept. Luke's team should have won. Their build was creative and unique, this is what modding is about. Since this season is called "Modded Gaming PC Challenge" and since you guys already had a season where the objective was best bang for the buck, this one should have been strictly(with small fixed budget allocated for components and the bigger part of the budged for the mod )focused on the modding, not on the performance of the components, this way it would have prevented Linus spending almost it's entire budget on components and we would have had an actual mod challenge. The whole "Linus spending everything on components" and having the benchmark affect the winner selection so much is bullshit to me. This one should have been for the mods not the performance of the PC's, if you guys really wanted some sort of guarantee that the PC's hardware in the challenge wouldn't completely suck you should have made a requirement that the PC's would have to be able to play a certain game/have a minimum score for benchmark so it's just a bar(YES/NO) the PC's would need to pass instead of score result that effects the winner selection.

NO! It's art, it's colonialism and you'll never get it!

They seemed to use Blackmagic Disk Test for the SSD's but I can't seem to find a windows 7 version anywhere?  

Btw, I jumped out of my seat when I saw the new episode uploaded ! Great job to everyone involved, both builds were awesome and as a minimalist myself I must say I liked Linus's and Bob's build better.  

Can't wait for what the next season will bring.

i5-4690k @ 3.5ghz, CM Hyper 212 EVO, Sapphire R9 280 Dual-X @ 1050mhz, Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5, Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4), 840 PRO 128Gb + 640Gb HDD

IDEA FOR SCRAPYARDWARS 5:

Scrapyard wars around the world! You can only pick 1-2 Components per Country!

For Example get to Austria, buy the CPU in Germany, the Graphics Card in Italy, the Ram in Switzerland etc..

Would be really fun and more interesting than the "normal" Scrapyard Wars.

26 minutes ago, claudior78 said:

IDEA FOR SCRAPYARDWARS 5:

Scrapyard wars around the world! You can only pick 1-2 Components per Country!

For Example get to Austria, buy the CPU in Germany, the Graphics Card in Italy, the Ram in Switzerland etc..

Would be really fun and more interesting than the "normal" Scrapyard Wars.

Would also be about 25 times as expensive :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

3 hours ago, doits said:

Does anybody know what kind of knockoff g5 case linus used? I actually like it but can't find it online. Looks good and doesn't have the work needed of true hackintosh.

They said it was made by Cooler Master during the case pick-up at the dude's house, but it's hard to catch. I'm not sure that it was a Cooler Master case. It might have been.

Something VERY close to it looks like the Linkworld 431-06 C.2828 Silver

Something less G5 but still very sleek and industrial is a Voodoo Omen chassis. You take your time, you can kick every ass up and down the street with a Voodoo Omen build. Hard to find though -- and you will be PAYING for an Omen in good shape.

http://vrworld.com/2014/11/07/will-ever-something-beautiful-voodoo-omen/

The judging section was indeed quite bad.

No detailed images/footage of each PC.

No hardware specs declared.

No run down of the benchmarks to be carried out.

No results given for the benchmarks.

No explanation of scoring mathematics.

As for the weird phone filming thing, and the contestants being in another room - WTF?

Great series overall, but something went wrong with the second half of episode 4.

The judging should have been longer. No explanation of which benchmarks were used, no detailed partlist breakdown, and no "results" from the benchmarks. It would have pushed the video to one hour, but it would have helped.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

1 minute ago, Fetzie said:

The judging should have been longer. No explanation of which benchmarks were used, no detailed partlist breakdown, and no "results" from the benchmarks. It would have pushed the video to one hour, but it would have helped.

Or, they could have divided it into a 5th episode

Sorry for Bad English, Baguette here 

STENDHAL: CPU: i5 6600K | MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Ranger | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz | Case: CM HAF XB | Storage: Kingston UV400 240GB SSD + 750GB WD Blue | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212X | PSU: Corsair RM750X

Great Season 4 :)
I would love to see comments about that "last day problem fixing" (power supply/tracer). Basicly : What, how, why, etc. maybe in episode 5 ?
Why "that wire" should NOT have worked and better explained "plug issue in PSU" in other rig.

Other thoughts :
Visible benchmark scores on video (to me, they "blinked" on screen and it was it).
Maybe do text with scores in lower part (like in season 3), that way, viewers can catch easily how each team scored (and also why it was sooo close at the end). Last thing : Scoring system isn't explained well enough (U should have made last episode a 1h long "special" one).

Season 5 :
Would love to see less expensive hardware (LGA 775/AM2[+] limit ?), with more overclocking.
Maybe Overclocking/Underclocking ?
Simple idea : Which PC draws smallest ammount of power when Uderclocked/Undervolted, while at the same time, can be Overclocked/Overvolted to get maximum performance when needed.

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

This season was a blast! Thanks for the the awesome season and for listening to what we wanted to the editing. 

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

On the "where to do SYW5" next front, work visas are an issue for LMG. But they won't be in Toronto.  Some of you guys must have friends and relatives here (probably many). Dmitry Novoselov from Hardware Canucks is here for a Celeb guest. He's got resources, too. 

And there are pluses to Scrapyarding in a major metropolitian area that is much bigger than Vancouver. There's a lot of used gear for sale here. Just sayin.

Channel Super Fun: Dennis hosts a BBQ with Luke and Rod's build.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Had fun wathing this season, Thanks guys. By the way can you guys let me know the name of song that is starting at 41:43

3 hours ago, MSTRBKR said:

The judging section was indeed quite bad.

No detailed images/footage of each PC.

No hardware specs declared.

No run down of the benchmarks to be carried out.

No results given for the benchmarks.

No explanation of scoring mathematics.

As for the weird phone filming thing, and the contestants being in another room - WTF?

Great series overall, but something went wrong with the second half of episode 4.

This.  The scores were basically nonsensical to us as viewers.  If that's intended then why even bother?  If it wasn't, what happened?  There should have been 5 episodes instead of trying to cram it all into the last one.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I liked this season however IMO LTT messed up the finale:

I wanted to voice my concerns over the lack of benching coverage and how that detracted from the finale.

The aesthetic portion of the contest was thoroughly covered as it should have been. After all BS Mods were the guests and their deal is case customization. However the hardware aspects of this competition were glazed over at best. Why? Obviously performance was an equal portion of the score/competition and yet LTT barely made reference to the specs used by both sides. LTT missed the opportunity to build interest for us hardware addicts who would have seen potential doom coming for Luke's team and that would have made the aesthetic judging more interesting. Seeing as Luke's team was running away with that part of the contest we would have seen that the overall outcome of the competition was going to be really close.  Instead LTT seemed to climax the finale at the wrong time. It was after the visual judging that the competition felt over when in fact there was another integral part of the judging to come. The lack of coverage for the hardware performance testing that followed left the finale feeling poorly planned and executed.

I realize that the power was out at the studio/LTT HQ but I do not think that should be an excuse for poor cadence of finale. If only the filming and editing of the finale could be redone with the correct techniques to give SYW 4 the crescendo and climax that it desperately needed. Regardless I look forward to the next season of SYW. 

Given how creative and unique Luke's build was, I'm kinda surprised Linus took the win.

Has Linus won all seasons of SYW?

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

24 minutes ago, patrick3027 said:

Given how creative and unique Luke's build was, I'm kinda surprised Linus took the win.

Has Linus won all seasons of SYW?

50/50 Aesthetics/Peformance, Luke got near full points for the former but Linus' simply performed much better.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

2 hours ago, Yoinkerman said:

This.  The scores were basically nonsensical to us as viewers.  If that's intended then why even bother?  If it wasn't, what happened?  There should have been 5 episodes instead of trying to cram it all into the last one.

Yeah, the lack of data absolutely ruined it for me. Also the lack of b-roll on the systems. Honestly, I thought the finale was pretty terrible, but the rest of the episodes were much better. I STILL don't know what Luke's system components were. I just know there is some form of early i7 in it.

3 minutes ago, 7850OC said:

what parts the machines have at the end ? o.O

téléchargement.jpg

Sorry for Bad English, Baguette here 

STENDHAL: CPU: i5 6600K | MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Ranger | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz | Case: CM HAF XB | Storage: Kingston UV400 240GB SSD + 750GB WD Blue | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212X | PSU: Corsair RM750X

1 hour ago, Centurius said:

50/50 Aesthetics/Peformance, Luke got near full points for the former but Linus' simply performed much better.

Yeah I know, I also watched the episode. But seeing how this season of SYW was 'the modding edition', I just doesn't sit right with me that Linus took the win.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

I must say I'm disappointed in the ending, it was a bit sloppy and not very informative. Here's my idea how to improve it in the next one:

1) Proper showcasing the builds - We didn't get any chance to look at the builds very well. They were always somewhere in the corner, with bad lighting, and while something else was going on. Please, take a few shots of them in the studio next time. Like give them at least a little of the proper treatment like you do while doing reviews. We want to see them too, the builds are the whole point of this series.

2) Components summary Summarize the components and even better, show it on the screen (like small summary on a side with transparent background while the context fit - eg. showcasing or before benchmarking). How are we supposed to remember what deal you managed to get 3 weeks ago. I still don't know what gpu Luke got, nor what processor exactly he got, the only thing I remember is that it was first gen i7.

3) Benchmarks and scoring summary - There was no way I was able to keep a track who was winning, especially during the benchmarks when the monitors weren't even next to each other. I'd suggest putting the summary of benchmark results and judge's scores in the video, so we can see and keep track of it easily.

MB: Asus Z97-A | CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 780 Ti Gejmink 3G | Memory: Σ32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Samsung EVO 850 250GB | HDD: Σ2TB WD Blues | PSU: Seasonic 750W 80+ Silver | Case: Antec P182 | Cooling: Noctua NH-C14, all case fans Noctua | Monitors: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q + 2x Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-A900 (closed) & Hifiman HE-350 (open) | Speakers: M-Audio BX5a Deluxe | Mic: M-Audio Producer | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 rip midclick Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 (Cherry MX Blue)

I opened extra this forum hoping to find the specs of both systems here.

If there are better pictures of both systems online before the last episode is uploaded, an online voting could be part of the result? :)

Whats the name of the song at the

end i cant find it on the video description