Using a 5 year old PC is really sad according to Apple

Sevilla
19 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

umm my dad is using a macbook pro from 2009... still works fine for what he needs it for... just threw an ssd in there and maxed out the memory. it's perfect.

so.... ha

Same as my brother, his 2008/2009 15" macbook with an SSD is still quick

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Lol, %#& this guy who said that shit. My three years old i7-4770 and GTX780 is still rocking and there is a chance

I'll still have them the next two years. Damn that damn moron who said 5 years old PC is really sad, that guy himself is a sad, sad, sad person.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Truly thing that is sad are people that buy into their marketing scheme. Those statements of theirs are a joke.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

22 hours ago, Sevilla said:

I have to agree with you, apple are such retards sometimes x)

I mean always, sorry.

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

In regards to the context he is speaking of (cheap OEM prebuilts), he is not wrong. Remember that he is not talking to you specifically, but rather everybody in general. Just saying.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

8 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

id be happy to help, but people are hard to talk to

Computers are like cars, and there is a personal taste and passion that is hard to discuss regarding facts and figures

like if you told me a Vauxhall Astra was more reliable, and had more equipment than my Audi A4 i would still not want to swap, because I wouldnt want that brand etc

same with computers, especially since its hard to be qualitative with OSX vs Windows

Comparing Windows PC A, with PC B, is  simpler tasks, as performance is a directly relocatable thing

Example, if I want to run OSX and iOS then the fastest PC in the world and the best android phone being 10% of the cost still does not do what i want it to do

people need to understand that Price:Performance ratio is only ONE aspect of a computer

I like to use the McLaren 12c vs Ferrari 458 car argument.

Ask any car guy and they'll truthfully tell you that the 12c is faster, more economical, more comfortable (far more comfortable), anndddd at the end of the day will drive home the Ferrari if given the choice.

Now I'm not saying there won't be people who choose the McLaren but EVERYTHING (cars, clothes, choice of coffee, etc) is all subjective. I don't see why computers and technology is any different. 

29 minutes ago, AyeJayKay said:

Now I'm not saying there won't be people who choose the McLaren but EVERYTHING (cars, clothes, choice of coffee, etc) is all subjective. I don't see why computers and technology is any different. 

Because you can't argue with facts. There is no room for opinions in computing. Specs are absolute.

/s

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

sad? sorry, I'm not swimming in cash and can't afford to upgrade every other year.

as long as it's in good condition and works fine, there's no problem

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

Well their Mac Pro users must be quite a sad bunch then with the current model using the 3 year old FirePro D500.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

Yeah, I saw this on Geek.com the other day. Even my mates were laughing about how ridiculous that opinion is.

RIP my 6 year old PC.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

12 hours ago, AyeJayKay said:

I don't see why computers and technology is any different. 

Because all people see is, number X is bigger than number Y

It would be like picking a car purely based on its MPG and 0-60, instead of, how it makes you feel, if you like the looks and build quality, if you like how the stereo and nav system works, how comfy the seats are, etc

People just see "oh its got a worse processor and its more expenisve" instead of seeing the entire package that makes up the machine, the software and ecosystem surround it, the support, warranty, the available accessories etc

Price to performance is only ONE factor in picking a machine, especially if somebody can afford to spend more on a machine

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

17 hours ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

In regards to the context he is speaking of (cheap OEM prebuilts), he is not wrong. Remember that he is not talking to you specifically, but rather everybody in general. Just saying.

So users that have even less of a need for improved hardware should change more frequently? Under what logic?  I say is the opposite: power users like most people in this forums actually do need more frequent updates but mainstream folk, what could they possibly need out of the newer devices if they're still gonna just post selfies on instagram and family pics on Facebook, maybe watch youtube videos and netflix?

-------

Current Rig

-------

36 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

So users that have even less of a need for improved hardware should change more frequently? Under what logic?  I say is the opposite: power users like most people in this forums actually do need more frequent updates but mainstream folk, what could they possibly need out of the newer devices if they're still gonna just post selfies on instagram and family pics on Facebook, maybe watch youtube videos and netflix?

As it is my Grandmotehr was doing just fine on an Asus A3H with a Celeron M380, 512MB RAM and Windows XP home. I later refurbished a Compaq CQ60 for her (2GB RAM to 4GB, 250GB HDD to 750GB, Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium) and to this day it seems to do all office and internet related tasks flawlessly.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

It would be like picking a car purely based on its MPG and 0-60, instead of, how it makes you feel, if you like the looks and build quality, if you like how the stereo and nav system works, how comfy the seats are, etc

This is really something that needs to be emphasized a lot more. I drove my mom's loaner 2016 C300, which is considered by most to be a pretty nice car that a lot of people would love to have....I hated it. It drove like crap. Well, to be clear, it drove well if you don't want to feel like you're driving -- there was no road feel and there was a lot of turbo lag making it feel very slow. These two factors aren't a problem for everyone though, but for me they are -- and as such I would never spend the money on a C300; however my mom loved the way the C300 drove and hated how the A4 drove (whereas I was the complete opposite). 

10 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

As it is my Grandmotehr was doing just fine on an Asus A3H with a Celeron M380, 512MB RAM and Windows XP home. I later refurbished a Compaq CQ60 for her (2GB RAM to 4GB, 250GB HDD to 750GB, Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium) and to this day it seems to do all office and internet related tasks flawlessly.

Of course, basic tasks are still very easy to run and don't require anything new -- my mom was using an Athlon 64 3000+ until recently (and the only reason she upgraded was because I upgraded and gave her my old laptop). But the fact still remains that my mom wastes a lot of time just waiting for the laptop to turn on/open applications due to a lack of an SSD -- so upgrading to something like an iPad would improve her computer use -- as would just upgrading to an SSD. But like I've said in a previous post, a prebuilt manufacturer will never recommend upgrading as an option and will always suggest something new. Not to mention the other issues that arise with upgrading (for the average tech-illiterate).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

This is really something that needs to be emphasized a lot more. I drove my mom's loaner 2016 C300, which is considered by most to be a pretty nice car that a lot of people would love to have....I hated it. It drove like crap. Well, to be clear, it drove well if you don't want to feel like you're driving -- there was no road feel and there was a lot of turbo lag making it feel very slow. These two factors aren't a problem for everyone though, but for me they are -- and as such I would never spend the money on a C300; however my mom loved the way the C300 drove and hated how the A4 drove (whereas I was the complete opposite). 

Of course, basic tasks are still very easy to run and don't require anything new -- my mom was using an Athlon 64 3000+ until recently (and the only reason she upgraded was because I upgraded and gave her my old laptop). But the fact still remains that my mom wastes a lot of time just waiting for the laptop to turn on/open applications due to a lack of an SSD -- so upgrading to something like an iPad would improve her computer use -- as would just upgrading to an SSD. But like I've said in a previous post, a prebuilt manufacturer will never recommend upgrading as an option and will always suggest something new. Not to mention the other issues that arise with upgrading (for the average tech-illiterate).

Considering how fast the old 60GB 5400RPM HDD was under XP (in the Asus that is), and how fast the 750GB 7200RPM that the CQ60 was upgraded to runs, both laptops with their respective setups started up faster than when I was running my WD Blue 1TB with my i5 4440+8GB DDR3 1333.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

It is not quite that simple. The problem with OEM PC systems is that they do not exactly stand the test of time, especially with the kind of userbase it has. The power users are willing to do some maintenance to make sure their older hardware remains adequate for the job, essentially squeezing every drop of milk it still has. The average user is not willing to do so much as what seems to us to be really basic systems check. So, when the system is running sub-optimally, it their eyes, it is broken. They would not be able to check Facebook at that rate. Even if it wasn't, there would not have been much they could do without gutting out the case and do a build out of it, or reinstalling the operating system(s) from scratch, neither of which they know how to do. To add insult to injury, the kinds of PCs you find from Dell or HP has next to no forwards-compatibility; I have seen OEMs built in 2014 with SATA I, FFS.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

1 hour ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

It is not quite that simple. The problem with OEM PC systems is that they do not exactly stand the test of time, especially with the kind of userbase it has. The power users are willing to do some maintenance to make sure their older hardware remains adequate for the job, essentially squeezing every drop of milk it still has. The average user is not willing to do so much as what seems to us to be really basic systems check. So, when the system is running sub-optimally, it their eyes, it is broken. They would not be able to check Facebook at that rate. Even if it wasn't, there would not have been much they could do without gutting out the case and do a build out of it, or reinstalling the operating system(s) from scratch, neither of which they know how to do. To add insult to injury, the kinds of PCs you find from Dell or HP has next to no forwards-compatibility; I have seen OEMs built in 2014 with SATA I, FFS.

1) People routinely get their PCs checked and maintained is not uncommon.

2) Irregardless of 1), Isn't part of the Apple mark up (when it exists before someone brings up their recent laptops) is that they sell it as higher quality stuff?

I mean I do get your argument, I'm just not convinced Apple should be making it since they're definitively not making PCs cheap enough to be considered disposable, I'd leave that to mid 2000s e-machines for example in which case yes they could justifiably say 5 years is far too much buy a newer product.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I must add that 5 years ago was 2011, 2011 was Ivy bridge I believe.

Who here has an Ivy Bridge based system that is complaining about how slow it is? lol

The only thing we have done really since then is add more features. Ivy bridge still performs extremely well!

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

7 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

I'm a big fan of Porsche's and I see comments on YouTube saying.. "omg C7 Corvette has wayyy more horsepower and is faster around a track for half the price".

Yes. The latest Corvettes are actually quite modern and do wonderfully well both on the road and track. Yes they offer great value and angry noises and I would love to own one BUT! if given the choice, I would spend my OWN money and pay extra for the Porsche. Yes it may have less horsepower and cost twice as much but FOR ME, I love a NA Flat-6 revving to almost 9,000 with all the quality materials, the (subjectively i know) beautiful design, and the history of motorsport behind it.

I mentioned 'OWN money' earlier because that same principle applies to technology. Whether it be Apple, Samsung, Google, Microsoft... these consumers are paying with their OWN money for the products that THEY want. If they are happy with their purchase, who are we to judge? If they are unhappy with their purchase, we'll say "I told you so" and then the process starts all over. They try out another new product purchased with THEIR OWN money and THEY decide again whether or not it was a good purchase or not.

Until I got my gaming PC last year, I was using an 8 yr old desktop I bought for £50. Before that I was using a 10 year old HP compaq 6910p. I think the desktop was a compaq too.

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

iPad air: from 2013

really fucking slow since i got iOS 8

iPhone 4: from 2010

Its really fucking slow since I got iOS 7

iPhone 6s plus: from 2015 (latest iPhone)

It runs animations at 24 fps on iOS 9.2.1 and 9.1

lmao what?

hmmm maybe the NEWER software fucked up the older hardware

lets go check the non apple side.

i5 760: from 2010

runs windows 10 PERFECTLY

even paired with a r9 380 it doesnt bottleneck THAT much

Apple, your saying that my 4x4gb kit from 2010 is "obsolete"?

Your saying that my turntable from the mid 1980's is "obsolete"? If I sold it now its $800 mint condition..

Your saying that my Altec Lansing VS4121 is "obsolete"? It kicks more ass than my Logitech Z507..

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

9 minutes ago, themctipers said:

iPad air: from 2013

really fucking slow since i got iOS 8

iPhone 4: from 2010

Its really fucking slow since I got iOS 7

iPhone 6s plus: from 2015 (latest iPhone)

It runs animations at 24 fps on iOS 9.2.1 and 9.1

lmao what?

hmmm maybe the NEWER software fucked up the older hardware

lets go check the non apple side.

i5 760: from 2010

runs windows 10 PERFECTLY

even paired with a r9 380 it doesnt bottleneck THAT much

1. Apple, your saying that my 4x4gb kit from 2010 is "obsolete"?
  2. Your saying that my turntable from the mid 1980's is "obsolete"? If I sold it now its $800 mint condition..
  3. Your saying that my Altec Lansing VS4121 is "obsolete"? It kicks more ass than my Logitech Z507..

You should get that checked out then, iOS 8 and 9 both ran fine on my 5s (same specs as the Air). 

All new software becomes more taxing on hardware -- that's generally how things go (especially when massive improvements are being made). Windows on the other hand, is a developed OS that has had time to mature -- iOS and Android are still growing and playing catch up. 

1. I think we all know that's not what they meant by the comment.... 
  2. yes, it is obsolete. It retails for a lot because A) obsolete doesn't mean all around worse, and B) because it's a collectors item. 
  3. Speaker technology hasn't changed much in the last fifty years. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

On 3/22/2016 at 3:14 PM, tmcclelland455 said:

Oh no my 7950 is useless now because it's 4 years old? Even though it will still do some titles at 1440p?

If you still have a use for it, why not use it? Who cares if it's 4 years old - my CPU is a 3570K that was released back in 2012, and it's fine. The idea that you need to have the latest and greatest is simply not true. Besides, sometimes it's better to wait it out to avoid potentially wasting your money.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch