Using a 5 year old PC is really sad according to Apple

Sevilla
2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

You should get that checked out then, iOS 8 and 9 both ran fine on my 5s (same specs as the Air). 

All new software becomes more taxing on hardware -- that's generally how things go (especially when massive improvements are being made). Windows on the other hand, is a developed OS that has had time to mature -- iOS and Android are still growing and playing catch up. 

1. I think we all know that's not what they meant by the comment.... 
  2. yes, it is obsolete. It retails for a lot because A) obsolete doesn't mean all around worse, and B) because it's a collectors item. 
  3. Speaker technology hasn't changed much in the last fifty years. 

iOS only needs to be optimized for a limited selection of hardware-don't forget that

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

You should get that checked out then, iOS 8 and 9 both ran fine on my 5s (same specs as the Air). 

All new software becomes more taxing on hardware -- that's generally how things go (especially when massive improvements are being made). Windows on the other hand, is a developed OS that has had time to mature -- iOS and Android are still growing and playing catch up. 

1. I think we all know that's not what they meant by the comment.... 
  2. yes, it is obsolete. It retails for a lot because A) obsolete doesn't mean all around worse, and B) because it's a collectors item. 
  3. Speaker technology hasn't changed much in the last fifty years. 

Ya apple just said to update from iOS 8.3 to iOS 8.4

and that's what I did

and.... Nothing fixed it

1. K

2. Pretty sure it's not; just a nice turntable. 

3. It retailed for the same price… 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

19 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

iOS only needs to be optimized for a limited selection of hardware-don't forget that

Don't forget that the hardware is getting significantly more powerful with each generation. iOS and Android are both getting heavier -- because they can. 

14 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Ya apple just said to update from iOS 8.3 to iOS 8.4

and that's what I did

and.... Nothing fixed it

1. K

2. Pretty sure it's not; just a nice turntable. 

3. It retailed for the same price… 

Very strange. 

Any good turntable from the 80s will have value, that doesn't mean it's not obsolete. Records are obsolete, but you still have people who swear by them. 

I wasn't commenting about the price of the speakers. I was just saying that speaker technology is still basically in the same place as it was years ago. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

18 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

If you still have a use for it, why not use it? Who cares if it's 4 years old - my CPU is a 3570K that was released back in 2012, and it's fine. The idea that you need to have the latest and greatest is simply not true. Besides, sometimes it's better to wait it out to avoid potentially wasting your money.

I agree with this, which is why most of my PCs at home are 5+ years old, had a few upgrades, and work extremely well.

"Rampage IV" - Gaming PC

Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced    EVGA GeForce GTX 980                            ASUS VE278H 27in LED Monitor x 3

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition         G.Skill Trident X 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz     Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W

i7 4930k - Overclocked @ 4.5GHz     Samsung 850 SSD 250GB x2 RAID 0           Western Digital Blue 1TB

Logitech G930 Wireless Headset      Razer Naga 2012 MMO Gaming Mouse      Logitech G710+ Mechanical Keyboard

"EMCMS-ESXI" - Server

HPZ800 Workstation Chassis           Seagate 4TB NAS Drive x 4 RAID Z           48GB ECC Elpida DDR3 SDRAM

Xeon E5620 @ 2.66GHz x 2             PNY CS2211 240GB SSD                          HP 80 PLUS Silver APFC PSU - 1110W

LSI 9211-8i SAS in IT Mode

Windows laptops get shitty battery life. 

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

Just now, NeoZeon said:

Windows laptops get shitty battery life. 

That's not true at all. 

The xps 13 and xps 15 get excellent battery life (not to mention that most non gaming laptops get at least decent battery life).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

That's not true at all. 

The xps 13 and xps 15 get excellent battery life (not to mention that most non gaming laptops get at least decent battery life).

yesterday i did a 12 hour day without my power brick on my retina macbook pro. If an xps 15 can do that, ill go buy one right now 

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

7 minutes ago, NeoZeon said:

yesterday i did a 12 hour day without my power brick on my retina macbook pro. If an xps 15 can do that, ill go buy one right now 

Is this the dual core or quad core variant? Also what screen size?

"Rampage IV" - Gaming PC

Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced    EVGA GeForce GTX 980                            ASUS VE278H 27in LED Monitor x 3

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition         G.Skill Trident X 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz     Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W

i7 4930k - Overclocked @ 4.5GHz     Samsung 850 SSD 250GB x2 RAID 0           Western Digital Blue 1TB

Logitech G930 Wireless Headset      Razer Naga 2012 MMO Gaming Mouse      Logitech G710+ Mechanical Keyboard

"EMCMS-ESXI" - Server

HPZ800 Workstation Chassis           Seagate 4TB NAS Drive x 4 RAID Z           48GB ECC Elpida DDR3 SDRAM

Xeon E5620 @ 2.66GHz x 2             PNY CS2211 240GB SSD                          HP 80 PLUS Silver APFC PSU - 1110W

1 minute ago, Sevilla said:

Is this the dual core or quad core variant? Also what screen size?

15 inch, dedicated graphics, quad core. 

Yeah, XPS 15 isn't going to match that. Not the 4K version. For one, the battery is smaller. For two, the hardware is more powerful, For three, the screen resolution is much higher. Also, the cooling is more aggressive. From what I understand, the the 4K version gets about 6-7 hours on browsing battery life. The 1080p version gets about 10-11 hours though.

1 minute ago, NeoZeon said:

15 inch, dedicated graphics, quad core. 

That's quite impressive, however, usage plays a lot into as I'm sure it is unlikely you got 12 hours actually using the laptop under heavy load.

To be quite honest (and this is my opinion) getting anywhere from 5+ hours out of a laptop is more than enough for me. I typically stick to the huge 17in gaming laptops, so when I squeeze 4 hours out of it, I'm typically in shock. The ~12 hour usage is nice, at the end of the day you still gotta charge it one way or another. I guess what I'm saying is battery life is nice, but at least for me has never been a huge focal point when buying a laptop.

"Rampage IV" - Gaming PC

"EMCMS-ESXI" - Server

14 minutes ago, Sevilla said:

That's quite impressive, however, usage plays a lot into as I'm sure it is unlikely you got 12 hours actually using the laptop under heavy load.

To be quite honest (and this is my opinion) getting anywhere from 5+ hours out of a laptop is more than enough for me. I typically stick to the huge 17in gaming laptops, so when I squeeze 4 hours out of it, I'm typically in shock. The ~12 hour usage is nice, at the end of the day you still gotta charge it one way or another. I guess what I'm saying is battery life is nice, but at least for me has never been a huge focal point when buying a laptop.

I get about 8 hours when I'm using photoshop and illustrator. about 7 when i'm runniing numerical simulations using 8 threads at 100%. That's still longer than the 4k xps 15 under web browsing.

18 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Yeah, XPS 15 isn't going to match that. Not the 4K version. For one, the battery is smaller. For two, the hardware is more powerful, For three, the screen resolution is much higher. Also, the cooling is more aggressive. From what I understand, the the 4K version gets about 6-7 hours on browsing battery life. The 1080p version gets about 10-11 hours though.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-15-2016-9550-InfinityEdge-Notebook-Review.156354.0.html

Only the graphics card is more powerful. Almost everything else, the macbook outperforms because of the crazy thermal throttling xps 15 has. The XPS 15 is kinda shit, it doesn't even have PCIe SSDs.  If we are buying gaming laptops, we shouldn't consider MBPr or XPS. I guess if you have to run windows stuff, the dell (though I would probably buy the razor blade) is a good bet. But if you can choose, for everyone who doesnt care about playing tomb raider 2013 with 5 more fps, the macbook is clearly superior. 

Like it or not design matters. Dell has done a really good job upping their game, but apple has been making the best laptops for around 10 years. It will take Windows OEMs still some time to catch up. 

There are some apple "sheep". Most of the people on here are "PCMASTERRACE" sheep. 

@NeoZeon The XPS 15 does have a PCIE SSD, and in terms of specs it basically matches (or out specs by being Skylake rather than Haswell -- not that that's a big difference) the 15" rMBP. Both devices should thermal throttle fairly similarly, although I've never personally ran into any issues with throttling on my 15" rMBP (but as I haven't owned an XPS 15 it's only fair to compare the throttling reports in both reviews rather than personal experience). 

I wouldn't call the Mac's design entirely superior. Given the choice between the two, I would still rebuy my Mac, but I really do wish it had the significantly smaller bezels of the XPS 15 (and that the palm rest didn't get as hot as it does -- although I don't know if the XPS 15 is any better in that last regard). My biggest complaint with the XPS 15 is the fact that the camera is at the bottom of the display making any video chats very awkward (plus the lack of OS X as I prefer OSX to Windows and the good but not nearly as good trackpad).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

@NeoZeon The XPS 15 does have a PCIE SSD

that's an update since the notebookcheck review then. I remember thinking about buying one (i have the latest macbook pro) and they were using m.sata ssds. 

I think there are problems with the macbook, im not trying ot say its perfect, I'm just saying that there is a reason why every PC maker wishes they made the macbook. 

3 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

He's also basing this off of the early reviews of the XPS 15, which had a bunch of software related issues. Which Dell has resolved.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-15-9550-Core-i7-FHD-Notebook-Review.158875.0.html

ah 

2 minutes ago, NeoZeon said:

that's an update since the notebookcheck review then. I remember thinking about buying one (i have the latest macbook pro) and they were using m.sata ssds. 

I think there are problems with the macbook, im not trying ot say its perfect, I'm just saying that there is a reason why every PC maker wishes they made the macbook. 

The 2015 version uses PCIE.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I bought a 2009 macbook pro from ebay for 300$ and slapped 8 gigs of ram and a SSD in it, runs like a champ. It has the same os as the 2016 macbook pro's so im not really sure what im missing if anything. Not like im going to attempt to game on it. 1200$ for a macbook pro is a giant rip off

Apple must be like

ZYakUku.png

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

schools use 10 year old computers

in some cases even 15 year old

serves the purpose perfectly fine

i mean U.S. Navy signed a contract with Microsoft to extend XP support, so that's close to 15 years old hardware there as well

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

*Cough, mac pro hardware is 4 years old, cough.*

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

PC for life also my PC is 1 year old for the record

Build Name:

Anton

CPU: I7 4790K

GPU: ZOTAC RTX 2060 SUPER AMP EXTREME

RAM: 16GB 1600MHZ

MOBO: MSI H81M-E33

CASE: COOLER MASTER N300

PSU: THERMALTAKE 600 WATT

STORAGE: TOTAL 6.5TB, 512GB SAMSUNG 850 PRO BOOT DRIVE, 2TB HDD 1, 2TB HDD 2, 2TB WESTERN DIGITAL USB 3.0 BACKUP DRIVE

- CRACK!

ITT: 90% of posters take the joke out of context. 

Google, Microsoft and Apple do this all the time. It happened moreso when Steve Jobs was still alive and Bill Gates was still head of Microsoft. 

• 2 weeks later...

@NeoZeon when you say macbook design is better than xps 15 as an fact instead of an opinion.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

I know all the enthusiast vs average consumer hoopla has been mentioned, but I have an X58 desktop that was built nearly a decade ago that can still blow the doors off current apple devices.  Maybe they should make an article about that.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

A lot of things change within 5 years but nothing is really old until it's unsupported for whatever reason or it's too cheap to last.

"Simple Yet Complex"