[Confirmed False] Spotify hates WIndows Phone and will stop updating their app for it.

AlTech
1 minute ago, sHAYM4N said:

Do you really expect Spotify to continue to develop for every dying platform?
I agree about iOS and Android, I much prefer Windows Phone in many ways but it's been left to rot, and what they have done with Windows Mobile 10 so far is abysmal - if they had at least kept the thing fluid on their 950 they may have stood a chance.

Like many who jumped ship recently, I'll wait and see what happens with it, but day to day I was missing out on a lot with Windows Phone.  No banking apps, an ageing browser that pretends to be Safari, a Facebook app that's barely maintained, an Instagram Beta that's been in Beta since launch about 3 years ago with no updates the list goes on and on...

Even Windows Central have gone with a click bait headline there, in the release they said support for 8.x was no longer being actively developed - looks to me that a Universal 10 app may be on the cards but again, they are probably seeing if it's worthwhile to them to even bother again.  You could try MixRadio, but oh - they sold that on and it was cancelled too wasn't it?

For consumers Windows Phone is on life support, to be honest I think it'll likely continue and be remarketed soley to business and professionals, with a consumer device to be based off of Android like Amazon have done with the Fire.  Killing off the Lumia branding and moving to Surface says it all too.

I hate to say it but I think I agree with the last 2 lines of what you said.

My problem is that there's nothing like WP but with the app support.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

God I hate android. If WP ever dies completely then I'll have to go the apple way.

No one is asking you to come to android. Heck I live in Hong Kong, I used Windows Phone too (Lumia 1020) and I use Spotify Premium - still do. Even ignoring this news I just couldnt call deal with what WP had to not offer. I like the idea WP has, and I would buy the HP Elite x3 - but spotify is 99% of what I do on my phone. Not to mention, in 2016 to not have a phone capable of *Basic* things such as Snapchat and other non-WP devices is unacceptable to me. Am I part of the reason WP is dying? the community that refuses to invest into an operating system with nothing in the hope that something comes from it? Yes, most likely. But Microsoft needs to get their shit together and either start accepting non-official Android or iOS ports natively, such as what Blackberry is doing, or come up with a really convincing way to get thousands of app developers onto their platform.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

10 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Great job genius. My Grandma died of cancer.

Did you take what I said the wrong way or something?

I thought the analogy of relating cancer research to dropping support for a Music app on a phone, was in incredibly poor taste.

Cancer Research is significantly more important than whether you can listen to music on a phone. Which is evidenced by the fact that "live saving" drugs are very profitable (even for rare illnesses), and that private investment isn't the only source of income for that vital research.

I can't help you understand beyond saying that, so have a good day.

6 minutes ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

No one is asking you to come to android. Heck I live in Hong Kong, I used Windows Phone too (Lumia 1020) and I use Spotify Premium - still do. Even ignoring this news I just couldnt call deal with what WP had to not offer. I like the idea WP has, and I would buy the HP Elite x3 - but spotify is 99% of what I do on my phone. Not to mention, in 2016 to not have a phone capable of *Basic* things such as Snapchat and other non-WP devices is unacceptable to me. Am I part of the reason WP is dying? the community that refuses to invest into an operating system with nothing in the hope that something comes from it? Yes, most likely. But Microsoft needs to get their shit together and either start accepting non-official Android or iOS ports natively, such as what Blackberry is doing, or come up with a really convincing way to get thousands of app developers onto their platform.

It is rumored that snapchat they're working on a Windows Phone app but seriously I hate the bastard which is the head of snapchat. He didn't think anybody, and I mean ANYBODY, used windows phones. Refused to accept them.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

Did you take what I said the wrong way or something?

I thought the analogy of relating cancer research to dropping support for a Music app on a phone, was in incredibly poor taste.

Cancer Research is significantly more important than whether you can listen to music on a phone. Which is evidenced by the fact that "live saving" drugs are very profitable (even for rare illnesses), and that private investment isn't the only source of income for that vital research.

I can't help you understand beyond saying that, so have a good day.

Everybody will die of something. As soon as cancer is cured we'll die of something else.

15 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

God I hate android. If WP ever dies completely then I'll have to go the apple way.

What is it that makes you want to stay WP over alternatives 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

It is rumored that snapchat they're working on a Windows Phone app but seriously I hate the bastard which is the head of snapchat. He didn't think anybody, and I mean ANYBODY, used windows phones. Refused to accept them.

US-Smartphone-OS-market-share-Aug-2014-c

I don't blame him for thinking that way because it's pretty spot on. This graph doesnt take into account that Blackberry now supports and runs android meaning that Windows Phone is 3.4% vs Android's 54.3% vs Apple's 42%. If I had to decide if I wanted to spend thousands of dollars supporting an outdated niche market - nevertheless a market which for snapchat might not exactly have that much use anyway (think of the people who use WP, not exactly the 12-20y/o people who send thousands of snaps a day).

Especially as an unpaid app it makes no sense to waste money on a select few - Where is Symbian's app?

2 minutes ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

US-Smartphone-OS-market-share-Aug-2014-c

I don't blame him for thinking that way because it's pretty spot on. This graph doesnt take into account that Blackberry now supports and runs android meaning that Windows Phone is 3.4% vs Android's 54.3% vs Apple's 42%. If I had to decide if I wanted to spend thousands of dollars supporting an outdated niche market - nevertheless a market which for snapchat might not exactly have that much use anyway (think of the people who use WP, not exactly the 12-20y/o people who send thousands of snaps a day).

Especially as an unpaid app it makes no sense to waste money on a select few - Where is Symbian's app?

Hmm no. Blackberry has 1 phone running Android, and it is considered part of the Android section.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Hmm no. Blackberry has 1 phone running Android, and it is considered part of the Android section.

Also happens to be their latest phone as well - and considering this article (below) I intend to see blackberry move completely onto the android ecosystem.

http://www.cnet.com/news/blackberry-going-all-in-on-android-phones-for-now/

Doesn't matter. Right now it isn't the case. If it becomes so, than Blackberry will shrink, and Android increase.

15 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

WTF SPOTIFY! AHhh! Mothertruckers. I paid for 6 months of premium for this? WTF. I'm seriously going to consider not renewing subscription.

This is what Spotify had to say:

and this is what Windows Central had to say

OMG Spotify! Are you high? WTF?

http://www.windowscentral.com/spotify-confirms-it-has-ended-support-its-windows-phone-app?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Should just get Groove Music subscription.  Its pretty much better in everyway.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

17 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

He went to such extreme lengths to exclude the WP group that he basically threatened Rudy with years of legal red tape and made him take down 6snap.  I'll never forgive the bastard for ruining Rudy like that.

(I personally think he was so fucking mad that Rudy made a better app than his app)

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

42 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I hate to say it but I think I agree with the last 2 lines of what you said.

My problem is that there's nothing like WP but with the app support.

They ended it with killing the Nokia branding for me, there was a loyal Nokia following that would have likely continued support had they not phased it out like they did.  The Microsoft name (apart from maybe with the Surface) taints things for a lot of people, and doesn't have the pedigree that Nokia had (particularly with hardware).  It's like if Alfa Romeo started putting FIAT badges on all their cars.  

They moved away from the high-end phones too, concentrated on budget had a little success with it, but for budget smartphones people still expect them to cover the basics with music, banking and social apps etc..  They're simply better covered by Android and always have been.  If they're losing money on developing for Windows Phone then why would they bother?  With 3.4% marketshare you should be appreciative that Windows Phone even had an app in the first place.

When I switched banks I was actually pleased to see they have an app in the Windows Store (one of the minor reasons why I switched) then found out it was a crappy web wrapper I could have just fired up in ie (which would probably then push me a load of Apple Store ad's because it pretends to be an iPhone). Last straw for me.

4 hours ago, AlexTheRose said:

Not that I’m disagreeing particularly, but you prooobably wanna provide a source for that. Just sayin’.

Even if Intel starts making good x86(-64) CPUs, by nature of Intel they’re likely going to be pricier in price-per-watt and price-to-performance than a lot of competing ARM CPUs. That’s just how Intel is. They’re huge. And unlike MS they know better than to try to unnecessarily expand their boundaries, which I go on about below.

As far as Windows Phones go, I’m of the opinion that by and large it was a failed experiment, and the whole idea of it from the start is just Microsoft screaming for relevancy in a market where their reputation undoubtedly continues to shrink smaller and smaller. People hated the UI of Windows 8 (and 8.1, sadly enough, ‘cause they waited until 10 to change it lol), and a bunch of other people are pissed over Microsoft trying to “be like the rest” and start cracking down on their big data department and instate a bunch of anti-privacy nonsense. When you have a substantial amount of users vehemently disliking your product for any reason, that is a big, big red flag that you need to pony up and make haste for the days of old. Microsoft has made a big mistake in continuing to drive forward with their neue style and flair acting like all of that stuff didn’t happen, to the point where many users openly prefer their operating system from 2-3 iterations ago.

/endrant

Not entirely the case, Metro didn't work for me (and many others) on desktop but there was something pretty stunning about 7 and the hubs when it launched.    It had a lot of plaudits for it's design style and language (also a lot of which inspired iterations in iOS, Android, and any other of the million flat UI designs that are used today) In comparison, Windows 8 was garish and impractical.   Phone was then diluted by lesser designers to the point where it is now a poor Android clone with just the live tiles remaining.  

The real problem with 7 was that they had integrated too many third party services deeply into the system (Yahoo, Gmail, Facebook, Twitter etc) and as those services were updated with new features it was either too time consuming or next to impossible to implement them.  Also I can't imagine those particular companies being too keen to help with losing ad revenue etc..  

Windows-Phone-7-Music+Video-hub (1).png

metrodesign.jpg

news_3344DCD0.png

Just because a company stops updating their program for a platform (they actually gave it a try, collected statistics on usage and made a decision)does not mean that company hates that platform. All it means is that the marketshare is not big enough to be worth the investment of continuing development.

It's not even like they are refusing to develop for Windows Phone. They actually gave it a shot and then decided that it was not worth it. If we look at the GNU/Linux desktop, you will see that barely anyone even bothers giving it a try. Does that mean that Microsoft, Adobe, all game developers etc HATES GNU/Linux? No... It just means the marketshare is not big enough to be worth the investment.

By the way, my GNU/Linux comparisons just becomes more and more accurate for each passing day.

The latest numbers from Kantar WorldPanel puts WP's US marketshare at 1.6% in December 2015. GNU/Linux has a 1.87% markshare according to NetMarketshare.

WP is now less significant than GNU/Linux on desktops.

I know people will bring up Europe, but the numbers shows that WP is losing marketshare there as well.

19 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

WTF SPOTIFY! AHhh! Mothertruckers. I paid for 6 months of premium for this? WTF. I'm seriously going to consider not renewing subscription.

This is what Spotify had to say:

and this is what Windows Central had to say

OMG Spotify! Are you high? WTF?

http://www.windowscentral.com/spotify-confirms-it-has-ended-support-its-windows-phone-app?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

OMFG, YOU CAN'T READ

UPDATE: Spotify reached out to tell us that this story is based on a tweet that was incorrectly released. As it turns out, Spotify has sent out an update to its Windows Phone 8.1 app today. This new version, 5.2, also includes support for Windows 10. Spotify has issued a statement: "Our main goal at Spotify is to offer the best music experience on the market, covering all platforms. To clarify our recent information regarding the Windows Phone experience, we will continue supporting the Windows Phone 8.1 experience moving forward and we are actually improving our support for Windows 10 in our coming update 5.2, which will be available starting today."

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Spotify-stops-support-for-Windows-Phone-app-UPDATE_id79229

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

If I am understanding this correctly, they're just dropping support for the old version of windows phone?  Honestly I wouldn't even be surprised if they dropped Windows phone completely, but it sounds like they're just dropping the old one.  What exactly is the issue here?  That's like some developer saying they're not going to support their program on Windows XP any more

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

10 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If I am understanding this correctly, they're just dropping support for the old version of windows phone?  Honestly I wouldn't even be surprised if they dropped Windows phone completely, but it sounds like they're just dropping the old one.  What exactly is the issue here?  That's like some developer saying they're not going to support their program on Windows XP any more

So far they are still supporting 8.1 and 10. It was a miss information that was provided.

But what many fail to realize is that many who pull the plug on their Windows Phone app, they are bringing a Universal App version, which in turns runs on Windows 10 Mobile, which most app dev have no problem supporting, as the code is the same. Take a universal app, scale the window as if it was a phone, and boom, Windows 10 Mobile version looks like that. Microsoft was pretty cleaver with this. Windows 10 tablets and convertible/hybrid laptop-tablet/2-in-1 (how ever you want to call them), are growing, and the number does show that this is serious growth. Hence why Dell, HP, and even Samsung enter the race to take a piece of the pie of the Surface line.

And YES, devs are interested in Windows 10 tablet support, so they are making a touch friendly version, and doing touch app in Universal Apps is MILES easier than on Win32. Win32 you have to do the whole touch tracking, gestures, etc, yourself. Universal App is all done for you/dev.

Eh those music services re all shit and are only there to rip you off. It is cheaper to buy an album and have it forever than pay for subscription for access to the library that has all of the popular songs but none of older ones less popular..only commercial crap of music in on those services

Specs: 

Spoiler

PC:CASE: FD Define r6 | CPU:Intel Core i7-8700k | MB: MSI z370 PC Pro RAM: 32GB Corsair vengance LPX 3000 GPU: Asus rx 6900xt Tuf STORAGE: nand 500GB Samsung 970Evo plus ; Game Storage: 2TB Samsung 860QVO Storage: 2 x WD Green 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | CPUCooler: Noctua NH-D15   DISPLAY: LG 27GL850

30 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

All I said was that not supporting a platform with 1.6% marketshare (less than GNU/Linux on desktops) after having given it a chance is not the same as hating the platform.

But as it turns out, that wasn't even the case since it seems like they are still updating the app. I think that's a bigger surprise than Spotify not dropping support.

Skype (aka Microsoft) hasn't updated their Linux version in the last few years, it would only be fair if they get a taste of abandonware themselves.

Spotify also hasn't updated their Linux version in years, but I'm not writing a post called "Spotify hates Linux" and starting a flamewar, simply because I understand it's commercially not viable to have developers spening time on my platform.

Anyway, since no one is reading my post above apparently, I'm gonna repeat myself: Spotify says it won't be dropping Windows Phone any time soon

http://www.irishexaminer.com/technow/tech/spotify-says-it-wont-be-dropping-windows-phone-any-time-soon-387359.html

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Aaaaand Spotify upgraded the app today

http://www.windowscentral.com/spotify-windows-phone-app-update-rolling-out-bug-fixes

Too much mouths shut down immediately....

Btw, it works pretty well on my lumia 950. Live tiles give such a huge bump on the usability of this kind of apps...

i7 5775c @4.1GHz // 2x4GB 2400MHz CL10 // R9 285 @1120/1575MHz // SSD MX100 512GB // Z97M Gaming // RM550 // Prolimatech Megahalems+ NF-P14s Redux // Cooletk U3

6 minutes ago, Ansau said:

Aaaaand Spotify upgraded the app today

http://www.windowscentral.com/spotify-windows-phone-app-update-rolling-out-bug-fixes

Too much mouths shut down immediately....

Btw, it works pretty well on my lumia 950. Live tiles give such a huge bump on the usability of this kind of apps...

Could technically mean that any major upgrades/changes to the actual app will not be applied to the Windows version, such as an UI update or added feature. Nice to see them rolling out bug fixes though. Much better than leaving it completely abandoned.

8 hours ago, JefferyD90 said:

Should just get Groove Music subscription.  Its pretty much better in everyway.

As I've explained a million times. Groove Music doesn't work in my country.

i understand with how little market share windows phone has and reportedly how hard it is to program for windows phone