[Confirmed False] Spotify hates WIndows Phone and will stop updating their app for it.

AlTech

I feel like Microsoft should just axe Windows 10 mobile. It seems like a mess right now, and developers are treating it like the plague. They should just do a badass reskin of android, build in all their connected apps, and keep making great hardware. I mean you can still use a continuem like feature with android. Possible they could revisit windows mobile in 5 years while we wait for Intel to perfect their mobile x86 CPUs. I haven't really used Windows mobile much (ios user), and I hear it is mostly a pleasure to use, but app support is killing them.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

9 hours ago, Murdoch said:

It'll still work, just won't get updates.

You can hardly blame Spotify for not continuing to update an App on a Phone OS that almost nobody uses.

Let's stop extremely rare cancer and disease research because only few has it.

2 minutes ago, bigneo said:

That's the same exact mentality with Spotify and WP.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I know right? I used to own WP, not I own Android, but thinking to go back to newer WP just because I loved the old one. Oh and btw I didn't experience in lack of application while I was on WP7, so I'm confident I wouldn't miss any app on WP 10 that android offers.

23 minutes ago, bigneo said:

20 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

that's a really horrible analogy. A mobile OS not making it is not going to kill anyone (except maybe @AluminiumTech :p)  

3 minutes ago, Ex14 said:

that's a really horrible analogy. A mobile OS not making it is not going to kill anyone (except maybe @AluminiumTech :p)  

No it's not going to but it would piss off as much people and it is an "OK" analogy.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

28 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Not really. since one is research into a horrible disease, and the other is business decision to not spend money on a platform that makes them no profit

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

the spotify mobile app has always had retarded issues like this.

when it first came out, if you didn't pay for a subscription then you couldn't choose a song to play, only the album it was contained in. The album then played from start to finish, with only the pause function available, and you had to wait out the other shitty songs in the album just to get to the one you were looking for - which imo completely defeats the purpose of the app. 

"hey mate listen to this awesome song i just found!!..... after we listen to 6 others in a row first"

youtube music forever

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

4 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Not really. since one is research into a horrible disease, and the other is business decision to not spend money on a platform that makes them no profit

My analogy originated from a quote which said:  You can hardly blame Spotify for not continuing to update an App on a Phone OS that almost nobody uses.

This analogy was meant to say it doesn't matter if it makes a profit from a business point of view or not. What I was thinking actually was if you already have customers you don't stop supporting them because only a few people use this platform. If I was on WP and have subscribed I'd most certainly demand a refund.

10 minutes ago, bigneo said:

you already have customers you don't stop supporting them because only a few people use this platform

Yes you do, since it costs a lot of money to hire coders to write software and updates, plus server costs to keep things up just for a few people

WP is small and I bet even half of them use the free service

A refund? its a monthly service, you just cancel it if its not suitable anymore

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Just now, mikat said:

Almost nobody uses WP

OS-market-share.png

Nobody is denying the market share. My point is the discontinued updated for small market share leaves angry customers, regardless of percentage. In other words, even if people don't own WP some are annoyed by this, like me for example. I own android myself, but I do really dislike this move by Spotify. Why may you ask? This situation, to me, gives different view towards Spotify.

Conversation:

Spotify: Hey, sorry but because you have WP I will have to spot supporting you.

Customer: But why?

Spotify: Sorry, but we don't make money of you, we better w/o your race all together.

Customer:  okayguy.jpg

Microsoft pretty much killed Windows Phone themselves.  I loved my 1020 (that camera!) but they've had 3 reboots now since Windows Phone 7 without any meaningful support.  It had real potential but they never followed through with the promise. 

Take Xbox for instance - they could have driven people to the platform with that alone, but rather than allowing an open platform for developers to publish their games into the network, they only allowed integration for select studios and were mostly old titles that had been on iOS and Android for years.  They also never developed the platform further... multiplayer?

Zune was diluted, they didn't push for deals with artists, dropped the ability to keep 1 album per month (which I thought was a great incentive), renamed it twice and made the apps and software worse to the point where they are unusable (even on desktop).  The OS lost all it's charm/individuality, useful features dropped and it's paying the price - why move to an Android clone when you could just go to Android with all the apps you'll ever need?

Oh and they went a good 18 months without a decent flagship phone.  Can hardly blame Spotify.

not a loss for me. i dont use music streaming services as it is. except for that one time, where i signed up for Apple Music during the free trial. got all the music i wanted to download, and let the service expire. 

Don't fail me now as i've failed you then.

13 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Yes you do, since it costs a lot of money to hire coders to write software and updates, plus server costs to keep things up just for a few people

WP is small and I bet even half of them use the free service

A refund? its a monthly service, you just cancel it if its not suitable anymore

I don't have a service in my country which works and can be an alternative to Spotify.

Until Microsoft sorts their shit out with Groove Music and brings it to my country I have no choice but to use Spotify.

Also, if they discontinue updates and never provide a Universal app then frankly I will lose my shit and make sure to not support Spotify any longer no matter what. If a company does that then they can go milk somebody else for money cos they certainly won't receive mine. Windows Phones doesn't need advanced super code to run. In fact I'd say Spotify's code is too inefficient. Despite being C++ it feels painfully slow and the animations are dreadful. What company who respects themselves allowed that shitty excuse of an app exist? The answer sadly, is a company who only cares about most people.

And frankly it's gotten to the point where unless it runs on WP, I'm not at all interested in your app.

Only through this will companies understand. And you know the funny thing? There's all kinds of crazy random apps on WP that you'd never expect. Like RATP app (you will most likely never have heard of it) and some others.

30 minutes ago, sHAYM4N said:

Microsoft pretty much killed Windows Phone themselves.  I loved my 1020 (that camera!) but they've had 3 reboots now since Windows Phone 7 without any meaningful support.  It had real potential but they never followed through with the promise. 

Take Xbox for instance - they could have driven people to the platform with that alone, but rather than allowing an open platform for developers to publish their games into the network, they only allowed integration for select studios and were mostly old titles that had been on iOS and Android for years.  They also never developed the platform further... multiplayer?

Zune was diluted, they didn't push for deals with artists, dropped the ability to keep 1 album per month (which I thought was a great incentive), renamed it twice and made the apps and software worse to the point where they are unusable (even on desktop).  The OS lost all it's charm/individuality, useful features dropped and it's paying the price - why move to an Android clone when you could just go to Android with all the apps you'll ever need?

Oh and they went a good 18 months without a decent flagship phone.  Can hardly blame Spotify.

I can and intend to blame Spotify. It was their fault. What they did was very wrong.

I will most likely never use Android. if I had to because WP died then I would use an iPhone but only as a last resort.

I really hate android and I really don't like IOS.

9 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I don't have a service in my country which works and can be an alternative to Spotify.

NONE of these are available?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_on-demand_streaming_music_services

7 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I can and intend to blame Spotify. It was their fault. What they did was very wrong.

I will most likely never use Android. if I had to because WP died then I would use an iPhone but only as a last resort.

You cant really expect spotify to spend money and time on something that makes them no money, no business would ever do that

heck microsoft killed off RT, and there are people with now completely useless tablets that cost a lot of money , everyone does it, just like microsoft ending support of Old OS'es

Honestly I pick the platform based on what software is available, WP might be a nice OS, but since nothing I want is available, it means I wont be picking one up, so really its your loss

21 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Not really Spotify's problem, you took a bet when you decided to go with WP while very well knowing it's app situation.When it's clear that a platform doesn't bring in money, killing off previously provided services is the logical thing to do. Even you're precious MS does it.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, bigneo said:

Not only does that analogy not work. It's also in really bad taste.

My father has a rare form of cancer, chemo doesn't work. And I can tell you the company that researched the only medication that works against that cancer, isn't charging $9.99 a month. It's in the thousands.

Not to mention, the state funds a lot of cancer research. As well as charities.

Perhaps, you should form a "Develop Spotify on Windows Phone Charity", and see if anybody thinks it's important enough to donate?

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

No it's not going to but it would piss off as much people and it is an "OK" analogy.

... no...  just no man.  It's not even remotely okay. you're making light of an issue with human lives over something as mundane as a business decision?  I mean just look @Murdoch. I'm all for defending your rights.  but this is in no way as serious as what you used as analogy.  totally NOT "okay"  in any way shape or form. 

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Don't worry about it. Spotify will be supporting Windows 10 proper and if you sign up on their website they will bring it to mobile. See here:  http://www.windowscentral.com/spotify-isnt-going-anywhere-and-will-continue-supporting-windows-ecosystem

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Why support a dead operating system? too much work for too little turnover for them compared to maintaining their apps across iOS / Android / Windows / OsX. and with Blackberry using android now it's just the stubborn remains of windows phone.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

2 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Not only does that analogy not work. It's also in really bad taste.

My father has a rare form of cancer, chemo doesn't work. And I can tell you the company that researched the only medication that works against that cancer, isn't charging $9.99 a month. It's in the thousands.

Not to mention, the state funds a lot of cancer research. As well as charities.

Perhaps, you should form a "Develop Spotify on Windows Phone Charity", and see if anybody thinks it's important enough to donate?

Great job genius. My Grandma died of cancer.

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Do you really expect Spotify to continue to develop for every dying platform?
I agree about iOS and Android, I much prefer Windows Phone in many ways but it's been left to rot, and what they have done with Windows Mobile 10 so far is abysmal - if they had at least kept the thing fluid on their 950 they may have stood a chance.  I don't trust google with my data, still use outlook and all the office apps on Android - (which are coincidently tons better than on Windows Phone).  Apple are the worst of the three imo, closed system, expensive overpriced hardware and updates that can render a device next to useless within 6 months (iOS7 on my iPad3). 

Like many who jumped ship recently, I'll wait and see what happens with it, but day to day I was missing out on a lot with Windows Phone.  No banking apps, an ageing browser that pretends to be Safari, a Facebook app that's barely maintained, an Instagram Beta that's been in Beta since launch about 3 years ago with no updates the list goes on and on...

Even Windows Central have gone with a click bait headline there, in the release they said support for 8.x was no longer being actively developed - looks to me that a Universal 10 app may be on the cards but again, they are probably seeing if it's worthwhile to them to even bother again.  You could try MixRadio, but oh - they sold that on and it was cancelled too wasn't it?

For consumers Windows Phone is on life support, to be honest I think it'll likely continue and be remarketed soley to business and professionals, with a consumer device to be based off of Android like Amazon have done with the Fire.  Killing off the Lumia branding and moving to Surface says it all too.

57 minutes ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

Why support a dead operating system? too much work for too little turnover for them compared to maintaining their apps across iOS / Android / Windows / OsX. and with Blackberry using android now it's just the stubborn remains of windows phone.

God I hate android. If WP ever dies completely then I'll have to go the apple way.