[Confirmed False] Spotify hates WIndows Phone and will stop updating their app for it.

AlTech
19 hours ago, Ex14 said:

not to mention you don't have a windows phone too no :P

I actually have a rather smooth experience with their current app on my L920. or maybe I'm just used to how my phone/Windows Phone is. 

back to topic.  as much as I feel that WP  is a decent OS.  I think Spotify pulling out support is telling and indicative of how most developers feel about the platform. that it's not worth really the effort. Most people don't remember, but WP8 had UWP as well (tho not as easy as it is now) I mean sure they might be making a windows 10 UWP now.  but I think it speaks loads.  that they're not supporting the current WP8 version.  1) they either are okay with the level of stability of that version. or 2) they're saving money by pulling out of a sinking platform with no real future in sight. 

How could anybody be ok with that level of stability? It stinks.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

As I've explained a million times. Groove Music doesn't work in my country.

Windows Phone has a built in VPN service, use it

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

How could anybody be ok with that level of stability? It stinks.

it has never crashed on me...so it's stable in that sense.  It's abit slow to open,  and frequently resumes. unlike you I'm really impartial to whatever device or company I'm dealing with and I understand the limitations that each device/OS has so in this case you can either blame it on my aging software, or the state of WP apps in general,  most being as bad or slow as what you feel Spotify is. Your call :P

43 minutes ago, Ex14 said:

it has never crashed on me...so it's stable in that sense.  It's abit slow to open,  and frequently resumes. unlike you I'm really impartial to whatever device or company I'm dealing with and I understand the limitations that each device/OS has so in this case you can either blame it on my aging software, or the state of WP apps in general,  most being as bad or slow as what you feel Spotify is. Your call :P

Well for me it's really bad.

It takes a long time to open and ages to resume. It is has animations which are way longer than they need to be (thus causing the feeling of being slow.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Well for me it's really bad.

It takes a long time to open and ages to resume. It is has animations which are way longer than they need to be (thus causing the feeling of being slow.

Isn't that how WP works tho? lol almost everything does that

10 minutes ago, Ex14 said:
10 minutes ago, Ex14 said:

no its not. Most things are pretty snappy.

Its not like they were updating their app anyways, the last update was many months ago. Even though I did like the Windows Phone Platform, I just cant stand how little 3rd party support it receives, and it seems like its getting smaller and smaller(except for the shit knock off apps, those have been booming within the past couple months). 

21 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Not only does that analogy not work. It's also in really bad taste.

My father has a rare form of cancer, chemo doesn't work. And I can tell you the company that researched the only medication that works against that cancer, isn't charging $9.99 a month. It's in the thousands.

Not to mention, the state funds a lot of cancer research. As well as charities.

Perhaps, you should form a "Develop Spotify on Windows Phone Charity", and see if anybody thinks it's important enough to donate?

Perhaps, I'll go with the majority on this topic - Sorry to hear about your father, but his condition is not making us enough money so we will stop supporting him. 

Did you suddenly get defensive over your father? I would... So did people who own WP's and music service when Spotify tells them they are going to be left out. That's not a nice feeling to have under your belt at all and I bet everyone agrees on that. It's totally fine that you and others don't see the angle my original post was made from, no need to get personal over this, I wasn't targeting anyone with rare conditions. I was simply saying it is not nice to be left alone or to feel that you are being left out which is exactly what Spotify did with WP customers. 

1 hour ago, QueenDemetria said:

Its not like they were updating their app anyways, the last update was many months ago. Even though I did like the Windows Phone Platform, I just cant stand how little 3rd party support it receives, and it seems like its getting smaller and smaller(except for the shit knock off apps, those have been booming within the past couple months). 

Hey! They took back what they said and now apparently they'll update their app more often.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/565782-spotify-performs-damage-control-and-takes-back-what-they-said/

8 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Hey! They took back what they said and now apparently they'll update their app more often.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/565782-spotify-performs-damage-control-and-takes-back-what-they-said/

After reading the forum thread linked in the OP, it looks like they are just quarter-assing updates and still avoiding the universal platform, which is still very sad. I cant download the update right now due to region restrictions, but in a few days that won't be an issue. Also, why are they still using the old Spotify icon?

On 3/14/2016 at 4:18 AM, AluminiumTech said:

If they make a Universal App then will they get rid of their standard "Windows Desktop" client?

Dear God, please, no. These W10 Universal Applications aren't nearly as productive as their less-native original counterparts, they just feature less elements on the screen and tend to include lots and lots of whitespace it's almost ridiculous. I could code a HTML5/CSS3 interface that's nicer and more productive than the stuff that comes out of the Windows Store.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

13 minutes ago, QueenDemetria said:

After reading the forum thread linked in the OP, it looks like they are just quarter-assing updates and still avoiding the universal platform, which is still very sad. I cant download the update right now due to region restrictions, but in a few days that won't be an issue. Also, why are they still using the old Spotify icon?

They'll have it soon enough. It'll probably be a straight up copy of the IOS app using the new Windows Bridge.

16 minutes ago, Pesmerga said:

I posted that in new thread ..................

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

I posted that in new thread ..................

sorry didn't see that :D

Just now, Pesmerga said:

sorry didn't see that :D

What happened was Spotify Customer service screwing up and saying it in a way which suggested they would stop supporting it entirely.

10 hours ago, bigneo said:

Perhaps, I'll go with the majority on this topic - Sorry to hear about your father, but his condition is not making us enough money so we will stop supporting him. 

Did you suddenly get defensive over your father? I would... So did people who own WP's and music service when Spotify tells them they are going to be left out. That's not a nice feeling to have under your belt at all and I bet everyone agrees on that. It's totally fine that you and others don't see the angle my original post was made from, no need to get personal over this, I wasn't targeting anyone with rare conditions. I was simply saying it is not nice to be left alone or to feel that you are being left out which is exactly what Spotify did with WP customers. 

I know you weren't targeting individuals, I didn't take it personally.

And no I didn't get defensive, I literally only mentioned a personal case, to illustrate your false equivalency. Which you still seem to be adamantly sticking to, so I won't hit you over the head with it.

Yup, the comparison is ridiculous. I'm all for hyperbole and extremes but I really don't think there's a way to put cancer treatment and Spotify access as being equals. Try reading that comparison aloud a couple of times. If it still sounds good, then you'll momentarily hear the sound of a thousand palms being placed upon a thousand faces.

I'm not even offended. The comparison is just that inept.

12 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Yup, the comparison is ridiculous. I'm all for hyperbole and extremes but I really don't think there's a way to put cancer treatment and Spotify access as being equals. Try reading that comparison aloud a couple of times. If it still sounds good, then you'll momentarily hear the sound of a thousand palms being placed upon a thousand faces.

I'm not even offended. The comparison is just that inept.

14 hours ago, Murdoch said:

I know you weren't targeting individuals, I didn't take it personally.

And no I didn't get defensive, I literally only mentioned a personal case, to illustrate your false equivalency. Which you still seem to be adamantly sticking to, so I won't hit you over the head with it.

My apologies for not making my initial comment clearer to what I meant. To put cancer treatment against Spotify access is no brainer, how can you read something and think of complete the opposite from what is being said. I believe you both misunderstood what is being commented on the quote. I imagine that you read Spotify vs. Cancer is what I said, which is not. I would never put Spotify access being equal to a cancer treatment, I never said that. What I did say is that stopping support customers would be very unfair, in my mind, similarly, while some disease research is in progress stopping it just because only a few people has developed would be unfair. One may say that business is alway unfair deal with it. Yes, I do agree from the business point of view they could have done this, but my comment was only meant to say it is an unfair move, not the comparison of Spotify to cancer.

Does that make sense? Do you agree that it would be unfair? I'm sorry for not making this clear in the initial comment and I hope I'm making my self-clear that I do not compare any sort of disease to Spotify access, I'm simply saying that it is unfair to leave some customers out while others can enjoy it. Similarly, It is unfair to treat some patients but leave others to suffer.

Either way, the initial topic post is now clear, we can move along.