DisplayPort 1.4 specifications published by VESA

Trixanity

We haven't even seen DP 1.3 on products yet but VESA has apparently been working hard to move DP along despite slow adoption. DP 1.3 was published in September 2014 and today we get 1.4.

DP 1.4 further builds on the capabilities of the standard's prior incarnations. The use of video transport compression enhances the ability to take advantage of the USB Type-C connector, enabling both high-definition video and SuperSpeed USB, while also facilitating High Dynamic Range (HDR) and 8K video across the DisplayPort or USB-C connector. Examples of increased display resolution with the new standard include 8Kp60Hz HDR deep color and 4Kp120Hz HDR deep color. Other key new features include:

• Forward Error Correction - FEC, which overlays the DSC 1.2 transport, addresses the transport error resiliency needed for compressed video transport to external displays.
  • HDR meta transport - HDR meta transport uses the "secondary data packet" transport inherent in the DisplayPort standard to provide support for the current CTA 861.3 standard, which is useful for DP to HDMI 2.0a protocol conversion, among other examples. It also offers a flexible metadata packet transport to support future dynamic HDR standards.
  • Expanded audio transport - This spec extension covers capabilities such as 32 audio channels, 1536kHz sample rate, and inclusion of all known audio formats.

DP 1.4 will utilize VESA's DSC (Display Stream Compression) to compress the data. Version 1.2 of DSC is capable of a compression ratio of 3:1 and is apparently visually lossless.

So it seems like DP 1.4 will be about adding compression capabilities to the spec as well as expanding support for HDR, audio and improving compatibility with HDMI 2.0. 

It would also seem that there is no increase in raw bandwidth with the new spec, however the added compression compensates for that and will vastly improve effective bandwidth which will result in support for higher resolutions with HDR and high refresh rates.

We obviously won't see this in any 2016 products which includes Polaris and Pascal. Even 2017 is questionable. It's most likely that it'll be like DP 1.3 meaning two years after the release of the spec which in turn means 2018 at the earliest.

Source: http://www.displayport.org/pr/vesa-publishes-displayport-standard-version-1-4/

2 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

8Kp60Hz HDR deep color

WANT.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Let's get a move on AMD, nVidia, and monitor manufacturers. My modded skyrim needs this.

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

DP 1.3 hasn't appeared on anything yet... and DP 1.4 is already published? 

AxtzziK.gif

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

DP 1.3 hasn't appeared on anything yet... and DP 1.4 is already published? 

AxtzziK.gif

because hdmi caught up with DP, DP needs to advance forward.

Just now, manikyath said:

because hdmi caught up with DP, DP needs to advance forward.

I don't think anything ahead of hdmi 2.0 has been published (correct me if wrong), but DP 1.3 has already been. DP 1.2 is about the same as hdmi 2.0 (in bandwidth), and DP 1.3 is even faster. HDMI caught up but DP jumped ahead again. Now DP is just taking the lead all the way...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

4k120hz fuck yeah, much want.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I don't think anything ahead of hdmi 2.0 has been published (correct me if wrong), but DP 1.3 has already been. DP 1.2 is about the same as hdmi 2.0 (in bandwidth), and DP 1.3 is even faster. HDMI caught up but DP jumped ahead again. Now DP is just taking the lead all the way...

well, hdmi has won the game because of televisions, DP needs to prove itself as the superior standard in order to stay alive.

and with 8K TVs coming, TVs need a new standard, or need HDMI to catch up *now*

11 minutes ago, AlexGoesHigh said:

4k120hz fuck yeah, much want.

With HDR* 

Even higher without HDR ;)

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

DP masterrace.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

And with that - I will not be getting two Pascal Titan's.  I'll get two Pascal 1080's, and hope Volta has DP1.4 on their Titan's.

28 minutes ago, EChondo said:

DP, forever and ever and ever.

Seriously, best connector out there! I refuse to use anything else unless I need to plug in a TV.

Couldnt agree more....hahha itts just better than the other options! 

Hi!  Please quote me in replies otherwise I may not see your response!

I'm confused, so DP 1.4 will have built in USB C or USB C will have DP or Chuck Norris has a Mac?

30 minutes ago, RexinOridle said:

I'm confused, so DP 1.4 will have built in USB C or USB C will have DP or Chuck Norris has a Mac?

DP can run over multiple physical connectors including various "DP" connectors but also USB-C. 

What that means in practice is that you could have a USB-C port doubling as a DP port. Currently we see DP ports that also support Thunderbolt, although the third revision runs over USB-C as well. 

As I understand it, it's basically about using the same connection to send different signals whether at the same time or separately depending on the device and use. 

In any case, it'll make cables and ports more versatile. It will also allow you to put lots of USB-C ports on say a laptop and you'd potentially have access to ports that can (depending on the device on the other end) run external hard drives, displays or external graphics card - all off the same port. And not only on a single port but multiple ports. The only restriction I see is bandwidth and how complicated it would be to implement multiple ports that support all these standards interchangeably.

Tl;Dr DP can run over a USB-C cable. Not the other way around. 

here's to hoping it slowly starts replacing HDMI ports on TV's. I hate HDMI lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

here's to hoping it slowly starts replacing HDMI ports on TV's. I hate HDMI lol

It won't.

HDMI is too heavily entrenched in consumer electronics and is the de facto standard for pretty much anything video/audio related.

Displayport is the better standard (at least overall) but pretty much only used in professional settings and in other specific use cases. I'd even argue it's kind of a niche standard, even though it deserves better (although I don't know the numbers). 

Note: not including eDP in that, which if I'm not wrong, is pretty much the standard for internal displays eg. laptops.