Rumour: AMD Planning Bristol Ridge APU With 1024 Stream Processors – HD 7850 Performance

Mr_Troll

AMD Bristol Ridge Family Could Feature a 16 CU APU – GCN 3.0 With Twice The Shaders of Carrizo APU, Beefier Than Xbox One

A rumor has emerged from Bitsnchips which alleges that AMD might introduce an insanely powerful APU under their Bristol Ridge family. The Bristol Ridge family is the name of the upcoming family of mainstream APUs that will be featured on the AM4 platform. We have previously detailed a range of SKUs that are bound to be placed in the family but the rumored APU might be packing a serious punch at consoles if its actually planned by AMD

AMD Bristol Ridge APU

AMD Planning Bristol Ridge APU With 1024 Stream Processors – HD 7850 Performance?

The AMD Bristol Ridge family will be the first to hit the AM4 platform that is expected to launch in June 2016. AMD may use Computex as a platform to showcase their new motherboards and their first processor family to be featured on AM4. We have already seen a couple of leaks surrounding Bristol Ridge and rather than being a revolution to AMD’s APU family, the Bristol Ridge will mostly remain an evolution to the current Carrizo APUs.

The main thing to note is that Carrizo was only limited to mobility platforms (notebooks). We saw some late introductions of Excavator powered Athlons in the lineup but those are limited to current sockets. AM4 will be a huge departure from AM3+ and FM2+ as it brings the latest I/O and feature support to AMD motherboards with updated chipsets that allow the next iteration of storage and PCI-E capabilities. AM4 will be the first and foremost platform to support AMD’s latest Bristol Ridge APU family in mid-2016 and Zen based Summit Ridge FX family in Q4 2016

Bristol Ridge’s Flagship Part Rumored To Feature 16 GCN 3.0 Compute Units

Straight from Bitsnchips, the rumor states that AMD is preparing a specific Bristol Ridge APU with 16 compute units that are based on the GCN 3.0 architecture. The 16 CUs mean that the chip would feature a total of 1024 stream processors which is the same amount of processors featured on the Radeon HD 7850. The Radeon HD 7850 graphics card launched back in 2012 and was particularly great in the budget department. Fast forward four years later and we could be on our way to see similar performance from an APU.

AMD Carrizo APU_Die

This specific SKU would be based on the 28nm process node from GlobalFoundries which is confirmed. The site reports that due to the Bulk High Density design that is being used on Bristol Ridge family of processors which allows greater transistor density on a small die package, AMD could incorporate more beefier embedded GPUs on their APUs. A 1024 SP core would mean the doubling of the shaders compared to current generation Kaveri and Godavari APUs. T

he massive GPU part will require a lot of bandwidth to keep the bottleneck as low as possible since bandwidth became a noticeable bottleneck for even the 8 CU based Kaveri APUs on FM2+. AM4 will have support for dual channel DDR4 memory which can provide around 50 GB/s bandwidth which isn’t as much as the 153.6 GB/s featured on the discrete HD 7850 cards but lower clocks and power requirements will compensate for overall performance penalty where efficiency of the chip doesn’t get affected much.

A 16 CU part doesn’t seem way out of proportions as AMD already has beefier chips on the PlayStation 4. A Quad core chip with a 1024 SP GPU is very possible given the increase in density offered by the BHD process node. However, another possibility exists and that also makes a lot of sense for now.

A HD 7850 in an apu sound good to me.

Source:http://www.bitsandchips.it/english/52-english-news/6676-rumor-bristol-bridge-could-have-a-16cu-gpu

http://wccftech.com/amd-bristol-ridge-16-cu-apu/

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

Would be great in budget laptops.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

2 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

Would be great in budget laptops.

Not going to happen, for some reason OEMs don't like to spend 5$ more for a decent cooling solution on laptops with APUs installed. Look at the Carrizo mobile APUs... killed by their thermal solutions

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

Looks like it could be a good option entry level gaming PCs, especially if you can still crossfire the APU with discrete GPU to give you a good upgrade path.

Just now, Agost said:

Not going to happen, for some reason OEMs don't like to spend 5$ more for a decent cooling solution on laptops with APUs installed. Look at the Carrizo mobile APUs... killed by their thermal solutions

Maybe, just maybe we'll get a laptop with decent dolling this time around.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

1024 SPs won't really do much unless Polaris is significantly more memory efficient than GCN 1.2 is. 50GB/s is also generous given how slow AMD's current DDR3 IMC is on Steamroller.

CPU: Intel Core i3 4370 (3.8GHz, 2C/4T) GPU: AMD R9 380X 4GB

Well AMD has to with the Intel IGPs getting a lot better.

FX-8120 | ASUS Crosshair V Formula | G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 | Club3D Radeon R9 290 RoyalAce |Thermaltake Chaser MkIII | 128GB M4 Crucial + 2TB HDD storage | Cooler Master 850M | Scythe Mugen 3 | Corsair Strafe RGB | Logitech G500

sounds nice, but keep in mind that you will need a ton of really fast memory if you really want to match that 7850 in performance

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

Wouldn't this be faster than a 7850 because it would be gcn 3.0? 

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

No, not unless Bristol Ridge is getting quad-channel DDR4 support. It's absolutely pointless to make an iGPU this big for anything other than bragging rights. I'm calling this rumor as BS right now.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

It would be a monster if they went for 14nm + some HBM in that configuration. This doesn't make much sense since it would be bandwidth starved no matter how powerful the GPU. 

3 hours ago, Agost said:

no, they got killed by running singlle channel RAM. Because the OEMs pressured AMD into making a single socket for their super low end stuff AND their top end APUs... the super low end stuff can ONLY run single channel RAM....

with only 12GB/s memory bandwidth AT BEST, they are starved to death on memory bandwidth.... Anandtech made a HUGE review about it. You can read it here.

http://anandtech.com/show/10000/who-controls-user-experience-amd-carrizo-thoroughly-tested

2 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

So... 7850 = 265 = 370.. Decent.

I'd say 7850 = 98.75% R7 265 = 95% R7 370, at stock of couse :) 

2 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

Well, broadwell is a 750.... so yeah :P

The Iris Pro Graphics 6200 is like 10%? faster than the R7 in the 7850K so not even close to a 7850 lol

2 minutes ago, Prysin said:

no, they got killed by running singlle channel RAM. Because the OEMs pressured AMD into making a single socket for their super low end stuff AND their top end APUs... the super low end stuff can ONLY run single channel RAM....

with only 12GB/s memory bandwidth AT BEST, they are starved to death on memory bandwidth.... Anandtech made a HUGE review about it. You can read it here.

http://anandtech.com/show/10000/who-controls-user-experience-amd-carrizo-thoroughly-tested

I really hope AMD pressures the fuck out of OEMs to make better laptop designs, but it's not gonna happen.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

7 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I'd say 7850 = 98.75% R7 265 = 95% R7 370, at stock of couse :) 

The Iris Pro Graphics 6200 is like 10%? faster than the R7 in the 7850K so not even close to a 7850 lol

I really hope AMD pressures the fuck out of OEMs to make better laptop designs, but it's not gonna happen.

they cant...

they NEED to sell units, they have next to no bargaining room with their current economy.

If they go in slamming their fist on the table and claiming "this is how you gonna do it"... then the OEMs just gonna say, "k, bai"... because they dont want to minimize profit, and they know damn well AMD cannot lose any profit at all.

Just now, Prysin said:

they cant...

they NEED to sell units, they have next to no bargaining room with their current economy.

If they go in slamming their fist on the table and claiming "this is how you gonna do it"... then the OEMs just gonna say, "k, bai"... because they dont want to minimize profit, and they know damn well AMD cannot lose any profit at all.

yep

and that's what sucks about the laptop market, anything under $600 is more than likely to be a shite design

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

What would truly be impressive is if they put a Fury X/Nano chip into it. Would be amazing to have HBM inside a CPU/APU.

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

2 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

No, not unless Bristol Ridge is getting quad-channel DDR4 support. It's absolutely pointless to make an iGPU this big for anything other than bragging rights. I'm calling this rumor as BS right now.

and since ITX is dual channel at most. it is totally pointless... And ITX and laptops are the only damn place where APUs make sense anyway :|

aint gonna be more then 512SPs, maybe 768SPs clocked way low, at the very very most....

5 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

I thought the AM4 socket was getting quad channel support? Also,  having a 4GB stack of HBM2 on die would definitely fix it. I remember there were rumors of AMD putting stacks of HBM on die for AM4 APUs. Even if it's only HBM1, 1GB with really good memory management to get the best out of that and quad channel DDR4 should be plenty for a 7850 class GPU, i'd imagine? We're talking a GPU meant for medium quality 1080p.

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

10 minutes ago, BobbyG2 said:

I thought the AM4 socket was getting quad channel support? Also,  having a 4GB stack of HBM2 on die would definitely fix it. I remember there were rumors of AMD putting stacks of HBM on die for AM4 APUs. Even if it's only HBM1, 1GB with really good memory management to get the best out of that and quad channel DDR4 should be plenty for a 7850 class GPU, i'd imagine? We're talking a GPU meant for medium quality 1080p.

Just because AM4 will have it doesn't mean the Bristol Ridge platform will support that many channels, and I doubt it will. These are Carrizo SOCs for desktop. I doubt the die will change at all between the FX8800P and these chips. Second, you're not getting 4GB of HBM or HBM2 on-package in a basic consumer part. Seriously what planet are you people on? Further, dual-channel DDR4 has as much bandwidth potential as single-channel HBM1. All you'd do is change the size of the data chunks moving with each call. Medium quality? Broadwell GT3e and Godavari can already do 1080p medium. If you want to bring in AA and other special effects, that's high-quality. Why do you people so easily believe this? AMD cannot afford to be spending so much money on a platform that is planned to be phased out with the release of Zen. There is no reason for AMD to change the Bristol Ridge dies away from what they already exist as on Carrizo. It's too much money spent on new masks for the foundry to be worth it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

g1329366949551901920.jpg

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS