Who's excited for the Pascal Titan!? And what do we know so far?

Johnmakuta

So what I have heard is:

• It's gonna have 16 GBs of HBM2
  • 10x the compute power (not game performance)
  • 17 billion transistors
  • it might be quite short compared to previous Titans

What I want to know is:

• Will it be on the 14 nm Finfet process (if it's actually 12 please don't wreck me in the comments)
  • How early will we see waterblocks after it's launch?
  • Will it be the one we see in April?
  • If it is shown in April how long till it hits the shelves?
  • Will the smaller die size increase or decrease the heat output? I think this is a stupid question but I was trying to take into consideration those stacks of HBM2 memory which were partially to blame for the Fury X's heat problems
  • Based on previous Titan releases will it be before or after the first GTX 1xx0 cards are released? I am pretty sure the TItan's have previously come out before the other cards.
  • Will it be $1000 like always?
  • Can it run crysis?

im not excited for anything anymore because it always leads to disappointment

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

i'm excited for Zen, Greenland, Pascal, and Asus claymore :D

I'm more excited for Polaris than any of those xD

OP, it's 16nm not 14nm. Polaris is 14nm.

Just now, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I'm not paying $1000-$1500 for a video card. Fuck the Titan.

Yeah... once you get the that price on a graphics card it's kind of like "what am I doing with my money anymore.."

Processor i5 4440 Graphics Card GTX 980ti Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 Memory 8GB Storage 1TB HDD Power Supply XFX TS 750W Case Fractal Design Core 1300

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I'm not paying $1000-$1500 for a video card. Fuck the Titan.

build aa pretty decent pc or buy a card hmm

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Just now, Matt_Twinkletoes said:

Yeah... once you get the that price on a graphics card it's kind of like "what am I doing with my money anymore.."

Yeah, we are the 99% who can´t afford that crap.

32 minutes ago, Johnmakuta said:
  • Will it be on the 14 nm Finfet process (if it's actually 12 please don't wreck me in the comments)
  • How early will we see waterblocks after it's launch?
  • Will it be the one we see in April?
  • If it is shown in April how long till it hits the shelves?
  • Will the smaller die size increase or decrease the heat output? I think this is a stupid question but I was trying to take into consideration those stacks of HBM2 memory which were partially to blame for the Fury X's heat problems
  • Based on previous Titan releases will it be before or after the first GTX 1xx0 cards are released? I am pretty sure the TItan's have previously come out before the other cards.
  • Will it be $1000 like always?
  • Can it run crysis?

It will likely be on TSMC 16nm process.

Size does not affect heat output. Heat output only depends on power draw. HBM draws significantly less power than GDDR5 per gigabyte, so using HBM2 will reduce power draw and reduce heat output compared to the same configuration with GDDR5. Heat output of the card depends on total power draw though, not just the power draw of the memory, so if the GPU core itself draws more power than the HBM2 saves, the GPU will output as much or more heat than previous cards (as with the Fury X). If not, then it won't.

The original Titan family was based on the Kepler architecture. The first wave of Kepler cards were based on the second-tier chip, GK104, with 1536 Kepler cores. This was the GTX 680, 670, etc., the top end cards for the initial Kepler launch in 2012. The highest-tier Kepler chip, GK110, with 2880 Kepler cores, was not used until the next year in 2013, with the second wave of Kepler cards (the 700 series) lead by the original Titan.

In 2014, the first wave of Maxwell cards came, and were based on the second-tier chip, GM204, with 2048 Maxwell cores. This was the GTX 980, 970, etc., the top end cards for the initial Maxwell launch. The highest tier Maxwell chip, GM210, with 3072 Maxwell cores, was not used until the next year in 2015, with the Titan X and the GTX 980 Ti.

Based on past history, it's likely that the first Pascal cards will be based on the second-tier chip, with performance similar to the GTX 980 Ti, and may or may not use HBM2, as we know the lower and mid-range cards will probably use GDDR5X, what qualifies as "mid-range" is unknown. The real performance increase will not come until the Pascal Titan launches, if there is one, but if NVIDIA follows the same release model it will probably not be seen until 2017 with the second wave of Pascal cards. Though, there is no law of the universe which forces NVIDIA to things the same way they have done in the past, they can always change things up and release the top-end chip with the first wave of cards. Historically, they have not done this though.

I'm going for SLI 1080s this time, hurry up and deplete my savings already!

Linus is my fetish.

i'll be buying two the moment evga sc reference versions become available to replace my two 980ti's. However this is only if they remain around the 1k price point.