OSSIC X: The first 3D audio headphones calibrated to you

Kozdyue.jpg

OSSIC X is the world’s first 3D audio headphone that instantly calibrates to the listener,
increasing the sense of auditory space, and acoustically recreating the way you hear the world
everyday.By pairing advanced 3D audio algorithms with head-tracking and individual anatomy
calibration, we deliver incredibly accurate 3D sound to your ears. Experience music like never
before.Get more immersed in virtual reality. Bring gaming to the next level.

919ea2cf5337a5702b517e2aeb8ac91f_origina

3890c8bfd98814ac7ce7217ac7d5ad06_origina

993fe9bb4ebc178ca569b5e41260dcd9_origina

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/005/408/174/ab3324930801525d811b29520bbf1d5f_original.gif?v=1456207579&w=680&fit=max&q=92&s=3a7be26ba13f0c958d4ffcf85909f093

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/005/408/176/50396603c50de857139fc41da1e4e9ad_original.gif?v=1456207635&w=680&fit=max&q=92&s=40840e8927ad09b2b53c1b2631477b97

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/005/408/175/4915437991f938c930a104a0c954c214_original.gif?v=1456207606&w=680&fit=max&q=92&s=36e98b204873b818697ec6425f64c4bd

$394,328
1,677 backers pledged of $100,000 goal
57 days to go

Source: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/248983394/ossic-x-the-first-3d-audio-headphones-calibrated-t

Shame it isn't open-back, and sound quality is probably not going to be that great since it has small drivers. And also it has glossy plastic eww

EDIT: It's pretty much just a gimmick, and unless the 3d sound becomes an industry standard, it's probably going to flop. Hopefully the surround sound is as good as creative's solution or better.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

Well I am waiting for a LinusTechTips review, and Luke could do a VR experience video with these too :ph34r:

On 2/24/2016 at 1:19 PM, ApolloEleven said:

Watch from 5:45 of this video...

Sure that guy is right about most of those 5.1 headsets. They are not doing anything that different, just copying each other over and over.

Video's like these should give you a impression, that this product is something really different than what we have seen before.
Pay attention to who these people are.

• 2 weeks later...

And here is a podcast for people that still think, it's to good to be true.

They're about to hit the 1.000.000 mark and 46 days to go.

Wasn't the N90Q by AKG considered to be the first one calibrated to you? And that's not even using more than one driver per ear.

Calling bullshit on this one. Everyone can hear 3d audio (binaural) even with a pair of shitty earphones.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

You don't need your headphones to do the 3d crap!

Linus said a while ago somewhere that 2 drivers are optimal. And i agree with that.

If you use them for gaming, the 3d effects and whatever should be renderd in the game. The game should take care of it.

Not headphones. Trueaudio from AMD can easily do this, but nobody cared.

Which i do understand, but with VR kind of finally here, we might want to take a look at Trueaudio again and game devs should try it.

If it delivers what it promises, we won't need this. The game will take care of it. And it would actually be done right.

And why should they be calibrated? Is that because they are crap if they aren't?

I mean the headphone shouldn't adjust to us, we should adjust to our surroundings. Like we always do!

A bird isn't going to change it's position so you can hear it more clearly! No, instead we adjust ourselves, but i'm not an expert so whatever...

Nice try PR guys... I'm giving it a 5/7 for effort :D

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

19 hours ago, Nisco3000 said:

And here is a podcast for people that still think, it's to good to be true.

They're about to hit the 1.000.000 mark and 46 days to go.

Just watched the entire thing and while they didn't say TOO too much about the inherent technology of calibration, their claims are fantastic and their experience and passion should be a good sign that this will be a different experience. Anyone who is calling instant BS on this should watch the podcast!

was looking alright until i saw this. Multiple drivers do not make a good headphone. This has been gone over so many times already.

https://ksr-ugc.imgix.net/assets/005/408/176/50396603c50de857139fc41da1e4e9ad_original.gif?v=1456207635&w=680&fit=max&q=92&s=40840e8927ad09b2b53c1b2631477b97

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

• 2 weeks later...

I call BS until I get proven otherwise.

I was one og those people that actually wanted AMD trueaudio, so I dont like that it didnt really happen.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

• 5 weeks later...

And another reviewer gets blown away what this headphone is capable doing.

http://wccftech.com/future-audio-ossic/

Read the full article, and don't be that person that tells around to know everything about headphones.
Because you simply don't.

PS:
6 days to go.
$2,028,394

pledged of $100,000 goal

No matter how successful, it doesn't mean they aren't shit. Ever hear of Bose.

Multiple drivers are bogus and has been proven time and time again. They can

say anything they want but I'm not buying them, and never will. Doesn't matter.

On 4/15/2016 at 3:04 AM, alphaproject said:

No matter how successful, it doesn't mean they aren't shit. Ever hear of Bose.

Multiple drivers are bogus and has been proven time and time again. They can

say anything they want but I'm not buying them, and never will. Doesn't matter.

Did you even read the article fully? I guess not, because they talk about why it has multiple drivers.

I agree the multiple driver model has a bad reputation. Why..? Because all these companies have been doing it WRONG!
Ossic X has it down to science why there multiple drivers concept is working, and most people will not believe it because they think it's already been proven to be bogus. But there were 90% of you guys go wrong, this is not a simple copy remake of the 5.1 or 7.1 headset there is a lot more to it.

Just read the article it sums up most of the important tech, that makes the difference from all those other old headsets.

BULLSHIT

The 3 dimensional reproduction of sound depends so much on the sound source, how it's recorded, remastered etc.

In the case of gaming, how the sound is implemented in the games, which I am sure differs.

So this headphone just simply take a normal analog output from any phone through 3.5 jack, analyze that signal and adapt itself in real time? Even I need different crossfeed and speaker angle settings with different recordings, this headphone can do all this and adjust itself on the fly? That is assumed that their "software" can actually distinguish the music source, which I doubt. 

And adjusting drivers according to individuals' ear anatomy? Bull fucking shit. It is damn complicated job and they can do it with just "sensors" built in in a pair of $400 headphone? Have they factored in the interference between the drivers? 

On 4/15/2016 at 11:39 AM, Nisco3000 said:

Just read the article it sums up most of the important tech, that makes the difference from all those other old headsets.

I would really love to read more on the tech. What they are showing on their page is a lot of boasting and fancy graphics. The most scientific thing I saw is a frequency response graph, which represents close to nothing in terms of spatial reproduction of sound.

On 4/15/2016 at 3:39 AM, Nisco3000 said:

Did you even read the article fully? I guess not, because they talk about why it has multiple drivers.

I agree the multiple driver model has a bad reputation. Why..? Because all these companies have been doing it WRONG!
Ossic X has it down to science why there multiple drivers concept is working, and most people will not believe it because they think it's already been proven to be bogus. But there where 90% of you guys go wrong, this is not a simple copy remake of the 5.1 or 7.1 headset there is a lot more to it.

I still don't get the hype for them. Call me stupid, but I can not possibly understand how a multi-driver pair of headphones deliver a "True 3D" experience, simply due to how close the drivers are to your ears. And if you can tell me how they make it so that sound comes from different locations when turning the head, then please do. They say that they use head tracking, but how the heck will that be good for anything when playing a game where the headset doesn't move the character around in any way.

And if you say "But they work together with VR!", then I still say "No, they don't". Because the VR headset is what will turn the character's head, and thus change the location of the audio source. Not the headphones themselves.

Because I can simply not understand how these can compete to any other quality headphones that sell for $400 (as these guys have set the MSRP at). So yeah, call me stupid. Because I have little clue of how these will drastically improve the audio experience from a normal pair of $400 headphones.

4 hours ago, Nisco3000 said:

Another article writer get amazed by this headset.

3D audio is back, and VR needs it

The key word is HRTF, make sure you read the whole article. He explains wat (what) HRTF is and why it is working whit (with) this headset.

3D audio is a thing. It's been a thing for decades. You don't need multiple drivers for it. Case in point, put your stereo headphones on, and close your eyes, then listen to this:

The problem with these "Ossic X" headphones is that they are fixing the wrong problems.

The problem isn't lack of good surround in headphones. The problem is a lack of sound software that generates good 3D audio for a stereo headset. It can be done. We know it can. There have been products and soundcards and demos in the past that have done it. But a lot of companies simply don't put the effort in to create a proper master.

I'm willing to bet that if the Ossic "calibration" for HRTF actually works, then it would sound just as good if they took out the extra drivers and simply had a stereo headset with the calibration mechanisms in place.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

3D audio is a thing. It's been a thing for decades. You don't need multiple drivers for it. Case in point, put your stereo headphones on, and close your eyes, then listen to this:

(video)

The problem with these "Ossic X" headphones is that they are fixing the wrong problems.

The problem isn't lack of good surround in headphones. The problem is a lack of sound software that generates good 3D audio for a stereo headset. It can be done. We know it can. There have been products and soundcards and demos in the past that have done it. But a lot of companies simply don't put the effort in to create a proper master.

I'm willing to bet that if the Ossic "calibration" for HRTF actually works, then it would sound just as good if they took out the extra drivers and simply had a stereo headset with the calibration mechanisms in place.

I gonna say this then if it's not clear to you. The 3D stereo sound you guys know is the SD (standard definition). The Ossic X 3D sound will be HD (high definition) and HRTF is a big chunk that makes it  sound better and more depth. And the 5.1 driver is not only for the looks, it has a purpose  to assist the HRTF format.