Apple could be in trouble? Potentially?

Damikiller37

So here are the back variants for the Nokia Lumia 620 (Released January 2013):

lumia620covers.jpg

...and now here are the back variants of the brand new iPhone 5c:

iphone-5c1-590x330.jpg

Seems like they copied nearly the exact same shades of each colour. I wonder what Nokia will make out of this?

It would be interesting if Nokia (or Microsoft) sue Apple becoz of the color of the new iphone....

I don't think you can patient colours somehow

I'm sure if the tables were turned Apple would not be saying that :D

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

So here are the back variants for the Nokia Lumia 620 (Released January 2013):

lumia620covers.jpg

...and now here are the back variants of the brand new iPhone 5c:

iphone-5c1-590x330.jpg

Seems like they copied nearly the exact same shades of each colour. I wonder what Nokia will make out of this?

See, my friend:

If it was the other way around, you could bet that Apple would:

a) patent them colors

b) proceed to sue Nokia/Microsoft

But since it's Apple using common colors which also happen accidentialy to be the same colors of Nokia Lumia phones, nothing will happen as it was accident and not intentional copying.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Personally I hope they do sue Apple since they seem to be getting away with all the lame patent rights and they don't seem to be noticed when they copy others. I mean come on they could pick virtually ANY 5 colours.

there colours... just... colours

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Apple is known for copying things. This is nothing new. Those colors may also be the most popular.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

See, my friend:

If it was the other way around, you could bet that Apple would:

a) patent them colors

B) proceed to sue Nokia/Microsoft

But since it's Apple using common colors which also happen accidentialy to be the same colors of Nokia Lumia phones, nothing will happen as it was accident and not intentional copying.

...and how do you know that they didn't do it intentionally? Maybe those colours got popular and liked? Why should nothing happen each company has the right to protect what they create and sue whoever they decide the need to.

Sue sue sue sue!!!!!

Everyone here knows  fine well if Apple did this first, they would sue Nokia for doing this.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

I don't think you can patient colours somehow

I didn't think you could sue another company for making a "rectangular device with rounded corners", but it happened lol. Nothing surprises me at this point. 

i5-3570K @4.2ghz | Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | 16GB G. Skill Ripjaw 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 (2x8GB) | 120GB Vertex 3/640GB WD 7200RPM | AMD HD7950 @ 1025mhz | 600W Corsair CS600 | Hyper 212 CPU Cooler | 5x 120mm fans 79cfm | Ultra Defender Case

So does this mean LG will sue Samsung for using black plastic in a TV?

No. They're colours, you can't patent them.

Are they similar colors? Yes. Are they the same colors? Absolutely not. Like with cars, companies own the rights to certain shades or variants of a color. For example, "Lamborghini Yellow", or "Ferrari Red." (I think lol)

Knowing Apple, they did their research and made it somehow different. From the pictures alone, I feel that the red, blue and yellow are very different from eachother.

You won't be seeing a lawsuit anytime soon.

On the side note this was posted by Nokia not long ago responding to Apple's new devices today. Also look at the comment on the right hand side and Nokia's reply to it xD

2013-09-10%2020_48_00-Facebook.png

Source: https://www.facebook.com/NokiaUS

I bet market studies show they are the best selling colors... Just that, and yes, im Apple fanboy (not really, but i like iOS)

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

Those are totally different colours.

Also, Nokia can't patent colour choices.

Apple could, and would.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

On the side note this was posted by Nokia not long ago responding to Apple's new devices today. Also look at the comment on the right hand side and Nokia's reply to it xD

Source: https://www.facebook.com/NokiaUS

I love Nokia's subtle way of knowing somebody copied them xD

Offtopic. Patent thing is sometimes really absolutelly ridicolus. For example xxx company patented xxx new found material that conducts heat very good, that it serves to dissipate the heat in mobile phones. The materials property of dissipating heat is pretty obvious, so if xxx phone company want to use it ( its pretty obvious use- just like copper in heatsinks ) it has to pay to get right to use it that way. 

So stupid. Some companies just patent some very broad and obvious things, then we have this birocracy.

Not to mention that people that confim patents, "only" need to have 2 PHDs - law and science usually, but when it comes to patents, that dont originate in their field - they often screw up... for instance, if a guy that has masters in chemistry tries to determine if patent in hardware industry is ok... a mess.  

Apple could, and would.

Apple actually own design patents that involves the device being black.

Apple even suggested that Samsung stop making device with black front surfaces in order to avoid infringing on Apple's design patents. So yeah, Apple actually already own a patent for black. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't try (and probably succeed) in patenting these colors as well.