TSMC Damaged by Earthquake, Could Impact NVIDIA GPU production

Mr_Troll

The recent 6.4 magnitude Taiwan earthquake, which hit the island nation on February 6th, affected TSMC worse than expected. Taiwan's premier semiconductor foundry, TSMC, had initially expected semiconductor wafer shipments to be down by less than 1%, but it is now emerging that the drop in shipments could be higher, because the damage to one of its facilities, Fab-14, is worse than originally assessed.

TSMC, in an official communication to its clients, assured that 95% of the foundry machines could return to functionality within 2-3 days after the earthquake. To that effect, machines in Fab-6 and Fab-14B have been fully restored. Despite the disaster, the company appears confident of reaching revenue targets of US $5.9-6.0 billion for Q1-2016. TSMC is the primary foundry partner of major fabless semiconductor companies, such as Qualcomm, NVIDIA, and AMD. AMD recently moved its next-generation GPU manufacturing to Korean silicon giant Samsung, while NVIDIA is building its next "Pascal" GPU family on TSMC's process

Makes me wonder how fast they will fix the damages that were done. Better idea would be to rebuild or move the fab somewhere else where its safe.

Source:http://www.techpowerup.com/220128/tsmc-hit-harder-than-expected-by-recent-taiwan-earthquake.html

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

Title seems biased, don't think it will ever affect Nvidia

TSMC, in an official communication to its clients, assured that 95% of the foundry machines could return to functionality within 2-3 days after the earthquake. To that effect, machines in Fab-6 and Fab-14B have been fully restored. Despite the disaster, the company appears confident of reaching revenue targets of US $5.9-6.0 billion for Q1-201

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

"damages done" = extremely sensitive robotic manufacturing components misaligned by earthquake

solution = bring in engineers to realign the components for the chips to continue manufacturing

not that big of a deal tbh, its not like the roof collapsed xD

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yay we definitely need higher video card prices, because we haven't been paying enough since the 500 series

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

250$ 960s? :D

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Whelp, still gonna get a 980ti and not wait for Pascel.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

4 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

That's how much my friend got his 960 STRIX 2GB for from Micro Center.

I used to be quite active here.

Just now, Kobathor said:

That's how much my friend got his 960 STRIX 2GB for from Micro Center.

my condolences

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just now, don_svetlio said:

my condolences

I made fun of it for a few weeks, but then I understood that he had absolutely no idea what he was doing when he bought it. Mind you, this was before the 4GB versions, but everywhere else it was ~$200 anyways. He never asked me first, so he kinda deserved it.

I used to be quite active here.

21 minutes ago, Enderman said:

"damages done" = extremely sensitive robotic manufacturing components misaligned by earthquake

solution = bring in engineers to realign the components for the chips to continue manufacturing

not that big of a deal tbh, its not like the roof collapsed xD

the worst damage is DUST.

imagine what happens when you shake EVERY CRACK in a building in an enviroment that is insanely sensitive to dust. Aligning things, fixing broken wiring, water (often used for cooling systems), thats no biggie.

but cleaning a whole fab floor of 100% of every spec of dust. that is the issue at hand. Mechanical damage is just a few days downtime at worst. Cleaning can take a week maybe two or three weeks since we are talking of ridiculously sensitive equipment.

27 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

I made fun of it for a few weeks, but then I understood that he had absolutely no idea what he was doing when he bought it. Mind you, this was before the 4GB versions, but everywhere else it was ~$200 anyways. He never asked me first, so he kinda deserved it.

Not to mention the R9 280Xs going for 250$ back then :/

This reminds me of tje flooding that caused ram to go up in price. Im glad that they probably wont lose money on this. 

Good thing this didn't turn out that badly the last thing we need is a GPU shortage that turns into the insanity that was HDD shortages a few years ago.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I've worked in a clean room factory. If they get it up (as they assured) in 2-3 days, there's no doubt in my mind that they are severely abusing their work force doing so. There's no shitting way they'll get a dusty clean room fab up to speck-free state in 3 days unless they drive them to the brink of death.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Isn't TSMC behind or done though? Thought the new chips were pretty much produced by Samsung and GlobalFoundries for both AMD and Nvidia.

9 minutes ago, dragosudeki said:

Isn't TSMC behind or done though? Thought the new chips were pretty much produced by Samsung and GlobalFoundries for both AMD and Nvidia.

No, tsmc is making pascal. Samsung is making polaris high end and Zen. GlobFo Is making Polaris low end. Nvidia are using tsmc only I think (there using the 16nm) amd are using samsung and glofo's 14nm process. 

is Samsung better than TSMC? Or vice versa?

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

3 hours ago, Mr_Troll said:

Makes me wonder how fast they will fix the damages that were done. Better idea would be to rebuild or move the fab somewhere else where its safe.

Source:http://www.techpowerup.com/220128/tsmc-hit-harder-than-expected-by-recent-taiwan-earthquake.html

isn't it already in the source topic??

they say that all fabs are fully running and functional

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

meh, nothing serious, i don't think this will impact gpu production by much

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

AMD stops using TSMC. 

TSMC is hit by earth quake that negatively impacts it's main competitor. 

AMD caused that earth quake xD

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

4 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

You mean that's not normal for you? 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

33 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You mean that's not normal for you? 

You're right, they've always been overpriced