[Finished] The number cruncher: Triple Xeon passive mineral oil cooling [Update 12: Final pictures and summary]

8 minutes ago, GoZone said:

Oh okay.

It is my daily driver by now as I sold my other PC. Makes the building process even more complicated.

And I will move to a new flat in about two month, so I won't fill the PC with oil before I moved. And I'm waiting for new GPUs.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

1 hour ago, Stefan1024 said:

Yes something magnet would be perfect. I will bookmark the idea for my next project.

Doesn't even have to be magnetic. It could just slide in smoothly with swiss precision engineering.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, thekeemo said:

Doesn't even have to be magnetic. It could just slide in smoothly with swiss precision engineering.

I'm good in precision engineering, but for precision production I lack access to a milling machine. But I can do something with a hinge.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

2 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

I'm good in precision engineering, but for precision production I lack access to a milling machine. But I can do something with a hinge. Maybe if you can find some sprung hinges like those on glasses worth wearing.

If you do that, have it be an inside mounted hinge. Might require you to use a sprung hinge like that seen on glasses worth wearing.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

• 2 weeks later...

Update 7: How to submerge a HDD

After a while finaly a new update!

SSDs are really nice for silent systems, but I'm not decadent enougth to store several TBs of cold data on an SSD. So I have to use a HDD. However, running it outside of the oil is not possible as the noise is way to high compared to the rest of the parts. So it needs to be submerged.

I hade a long discussion with Cpatain_WD about if it save to submerge a HelioSeald WD Red. The answer was "in theory it should work, but we don't guarantee it". So I coated the HDD with an electronic protection spray. And I also made a ani-vibration mount with springs to supress the vibration transfer from the HDD to the case.

Springs do have a low dampening so it is endangered to hit the resonant frequency and move heavily. But the surrounding oil will add losses the mechanical system and reduce the reconant peak by a lot.

7_2.jpg

7_3.jpg

I also drilled most of the necessary holes into the heat sinks, so I can assemble them. This is only for transportation on the 16. June. The sealing is still missing, and I will take the PC apart again once I moved it with the ship across the lake. There will not be a lot of changes for the next 6 weeks as I'm super busy at the moment. Doing funn stuff like spending days at IKEA and looking for used furniture and collecting it takes a lot of time.

At least the electronic is up and running and I'm using it daily.

7_1.jpg

6 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

Update 7: How to submerge a HDD

After a while finaly a new update!

SSDs are really nice for silent systems, but I'm not decadent enougth to store several TBs of cold data on an SSD. So I have to use a HDD. However, running it outside of the oil is not possible as the noise is way to high compared to the rest of the parts. So it needs to be submerged.

I hade a long discussion with Cpatain_WD about if it save to submerge a HelioSeald WD Red. The answer was "in theory it should work, but we don't guarantee it". So I coated the HDD with an electronic protection spray. And I also made a ani-vibration mount with springs to supress the vibration transfer from the HDD to the case.

Springs do have a low dampening so it is endangered to hit the resonant frequency and move heavily. But the surrounding oil will add losses the mechanical system and reduce the reconant peak by a lot.

7_2.jpg

7_3.jpg

I also drilled most of the necessary holes into the heat sinks, so I can assemble them. This is only for transportation on the 16. June. The sealing is still missing, and I will take the PC apart again once I moved it with the ship across the lake. There will not be a lot of changes for the next 6 weeks as I'm super busy at the moment. Doing funn stuff like spending days at IKEA and looking for used furniture and collecting it takes a lot of time.

At least the electronic is up and running and I'm using it daily.

7_1.jpg

dude. Yes.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

2 hours ago, waggythegeek said:

dude. Yes.

Please dont quote images..

Also very cool.

But why do you need to disassemble to carry across the lake?

58 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Please dont quote images..

Also very cool.

But why do you need to disassemble to carry across the lake?

Oh I used the wrong words agin...

I assembled the PC to move it, but i have to disasseble it to again to finish the build.

6 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Oh I used the wrong words agin...

I assembled the PC to move it, but i have to disasseble it to again to finish the build.

Just write it in your programming language of choice

12 hours ago, thekeemo said:

Just write it in your programming language of choice

void nextStepInTheBuildLog(int money, int time)
{
	AssembleAllHeatSinks(true);

ReportToLTT(true);

while(location != Quinten) {
		newGPU = LookForNewGPU(Polaris);
		if(newGPU.TDP < 200 watts) {
			BuyGPU(newGPU);
            money = money - newGPU.Price;

if(money < 0) {
				ThrowException("Warnig: New money required immediately");
          	}

ReportToLTT(true);
			break;
		}

SleepForOneNigth(true);

if(time > 0) {
			time--;
		}
		else {
			ThrowException("Fatal Error: Livetime of Stefan1024 depleted! New builder required.");
		}
	}

AssembleAllHeatSinks(false);
	MountGPU(newGPU);
	ReportToLTT(true);

SealHeatsinks(true);
	WaitFor24h(true);

FillPCwithOil(true);
	ReportToLTT(true);

}

Hmm the formating is colplitely differen than in the preview window. Just imagine the rigth the alignment. ;)

20 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

void nextStepInTheBuildLog(int money, int time)
{

ReportToLTT(true);

while(location != Quinten) {
		newGPU = LookForNewGPU(Polaris);
		if(newGPU.TDP < 200 watts) {
			BuyGPU(newGPU);
            money = money - newGPU.Price;

if(money < 0) {
				ThrowException("Warnig: New money required immediately");
          	}

ReportToLTT(true);
			break;
		}

SleepForOneNigth(true);

if(time > 0) {
			time--;
		}
		else {
			ThrowException("Fatal Error: Livetime of Stefan1024 depleted! New builder required.");
		}
	}

AssembleAllHeatSinks(false);
	MountGPU(newGPU);
	ReportToLTT(true);

SealHeatsinks(true);
	WaitFor24h(true);

FillPCwithOil(true);
	ReportToLTT(true);

}

Hmm the formating is colplitely differen than in the preview window. Just imagine the rigth the alignment. ;)

This is hilarious.

3 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

01001001 00100000 01110000 01110010 01100101 01100110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

2 minutes ago, Trey222 said:

01001001 00100000 01110000 01110010 01100101 01100110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 

I like binary too :)

• 2 weeks later...

So what is the verdict on the GPU?

Pascal Vega Polaris?

3 hours ago, thekeemo said:

So what is the verdict on the GPU?

Pascal Vega Polaris?

- Pacal is out of the equation: very high price in Switzerland, high heat putput for 16 nm and therefore nasty heat density.

- Polaris looks like an easy to cool card and should deliver ok performance.

- It looks like Vega will be a great GPU, but I like to be finished before Q1 2017.

At the moment I'm looking for a cheap used 980Ti or Titan X. Down the road I may upgrade to Vega. The build was ment to have 2 GPUs, but I don't have that much time to game anymore, and I think I'm fine without CF / SLI.

16 hours ago, nycesquire said:

Why are you concerned with heat density?  How do you plan to spread the heat?

I usually use a copper block and then the aluminium base of the heat sink to transport the heat.

But reusing the vapor chamber of the original cooler to replace the copper block like I did with the xeon phi worked out nicely. So I will do this with the GPU as well.

With the vapor chamber the heat density is less of en issue, but I'm not supporting nvidias tactics on the 1070/1080 so I'm not going to buy one. I found a very good deal on a used titan X and I will ise it until I can get a cheap (used) vega GPU.

The only downside is, that I'm pretty sure my money will end up in nvidias pockets as the guy I bougth the Titan x from will most likely get a 1080. But there is nothing I can do about it.

6 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

I usually use a copper block and then the aluminium base of the heat sink to transport the heat.

But reusing the vapor chamber of the original cooler to replace the copper block like I did with the xeon phi worked out nicely. So I will do this with the GPU as well.

With the vapor chamber the heat density is less of en issue, but I'm not supporting nvidias tactics on the 1070/1080 so I'm not going to buy one. I found a very good deal on a used titan X and I will ise it until I can get a cheap (used) vega GPU.

The only downside is, that I'm pretty sure my money will end up in nvidias pockets as the guy I bougth the Titan x from will most likely get a 1080. But there is nothing I can do about it.

With polaris news out which would you choose? Pascal or polaris? Polaris seems to be a much nicer fit in this situation tho... With that efficient perf/TDP

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

2 hours ago, xnoobftw said:

With polaris news out which would you choose? Pascal or polaris? Polaris seems to be a much nicer fit in this situation tho... With that efficient perf/TDP

I will not buy a pascal nor polaris GPU of the current generation. But this is my opinion:

- The RX480 is a smart buy because it delivers good performance for a low price. The perf/watt seems excellent compared to older generations, but I need some hard numbers for the performance to comute the ratio. 150 watts is not a problem by any means. And singe slot IO is a huge bonus.

- 1080: freaking overpriced, not going to happen.

- 1070: could turn out to be a readonable card. But the few % pore perfromance over the RX 480 on a higher price point is not very appealing.

For 1440p / 144 Hz RX480 CF is needed. However, I first like to see if AMD figured out a better (HW-based) method to get rid of the usual SLI / CF problems. And CF will also require about 300 watts, as much as my titan x. And with vega down the road I'm looking at 3 GPUs. Just overkill.

On 6/1/2016 at 11:21 PM, Stefan1024 said:

-snip-

Hardware Cannucks just released this and I immediately thought of your build.

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k

1 hour ago, ConnorDahne said:

Hardware Cannucks just released this and I immediately thought of your build.

Hide contents

Haha he said "unique" about 20 times.

The design is nice, but the heat sinks are a bit to smal for a full featured PC. I still love it nevertheless.

Update 8: It realy hurts doing this!

I found a good deal on a used Titan X so I counl'd resist to buy it. However, after testing I know why it was so cheap: The cooler is very dusty and the card thermal throttles all over the place unless you set the fan to 95%. Stupidly loud, but the GPU itself is working fine. That's all I need.

Sadly Nvidia still used this terrible DVI connector so I had to cut it off. When a hacksaw is your only tool available , it  looks as bad as when Linus is doing hardware modding. You may cried inside when you whatched Linus doing it in the video. But doing it yourself is even worse.

2016-06-04 20.45.15.jpg

2016-06-04 21.40.33.jpg

2016-06-04 21.40.41.jpg

Oh rest in pieces :/ at lease you got it cheap on the bright side :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

I really do not understand why companies still put DVI ports on their high end cards. 

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.)