[Finished] The number cruncher: Triple Xeon passive mineral oil cooling [Update 12: Final pictures and summary]

Hello, 

I need help,
My xeon phi burned, and I need someone who has a coprocessor 31s1p to send me a picture with a lot area of quality shown in the photo
(to read the name of the components) to order for repair.

It was a storm, power was down and burned!

Thank you!

xeon phi.jpg

7 hours ago, dd3d said:

- snip-

I'm sorry but my Phi is already sandwiched between the heat sinks so I can't make a photo of the area anymore. Also don't have a better picture on the archive :(

2016-03-26 17.25.41.jpg

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

4 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

I'm sorry but my Phi is already sandwiched between the heat sinks so I can't make a photo of the area anymore. Also don't have a better picture on the archive :(

2016-03-26 17.25.41.jpg

I'm sorry for dd3d, this this picture of a Phi sandwich is sexy!

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

any weird looks while getting that? 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

3 minutes ago, Heesleemer said:

any weird looks while getting that? 

It was delivered encoused in cardboard, so no. But I will get some when I have to move.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

On 4/12/2016 at 3:28 PM, dd3d said:
Hello, 

I need help,
My xeon phi burned, and I need someone who has a coprocessor 31s1p to send me a picture with a lot area of quality shown in the photo
(to read the name of the components) to order for repair.

It was a storm, power was down and burned!

Thank you!

Click on the image it is high res enough to be read :)

Also why not use acrylic? It isnt as nice but it is alot easier to cut than glass.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

17 hours ago, thekeemo said:

Also why not use acrylic? It isnt as nice but it is alot easier to cut than glass.

Glas just looks and feels better.

I have to use acrylic anyway because of the price, but nevertheles I will have a look at glas first.

1 hour ago, Stefan1024 said:

Glas just looks and feels better.

I have to use acrylic anyway because of the price, but nevertheles I will have a look at glas first.

You can try finding a piece of glass that is roughly the right size and using suction cups to hold in place

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

9 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

You can try finding a piece of glass that is roughly the right size and using suction cups to hold in place

I need cutouts in the glass for the GPU outputs. It will be hard to finde such a piece by coincidence.

4 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

I need cutouts in the glass for the GPU outputs. It will be hard to finde such a piece by coincidence.

Might have to make the glass section "skinnier" allowing you to add some metal or vents or something around the video outputs.

Untitled.png

Or figure out a way to seal the edge around the display outputs without permanently scarring the card (also had an idea for the PSU cable if you are interested)

16 hours ago, thekeemo said:

Might have to make the glass section "skinnier" allowing you to add some metal or vents or something around the video outputs.

Untitled.png

Or figure out a way to seal the edge around the display outputs without permanently scarring the card (also had an idea for the PSU cable if you are interested)

A metal strip around the GPU outputs is a good idea, so I can save on glas cutting.

My intention for the PSU cable was to embed a plug next to the IO shield and run an extention to the PSU. What is your idea?

21 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

Quotes are broken again.. Anyway my idea was to cover the PSU in some kind of impermeable membrane. Add some kind of sealant around the edges facing the outside in rings. And drill a hole for the cable.

4 hours ago, thekeemo said:
On 18.4.2016 at 7:58 PM, Stefan1024 said:

Quotes are broken again.. Anyway my idea was to cover the PSU in some kind of impermeable membrane. Add some kind of sealant around the edges facing the outside in rings. And drill a hole for the cable.

I have to cool the PSU with the oil as well. And I try to make as less hohles as possible into the surrounding. It would look a little bit cleaner, but I have a lot of cables at the IO plate anyway.

28 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

I have to cool the PSU with the oil as well. And I try to make as less hohles as possible into the surrounding. It would look a little bit cleaner, but I have a lot of cables at the IO plate anyway.

You wouldnt be covering the entire PSU. Another solution for the GPU outputs woould be to have extensions going out from the pcie expansion slots.

1 minute ago, thekeemo said:

You wouldnt be covering the entire PSU. Another solution for the GPU outputs woould be to have extensions going out from the pcie expansion slots.

I already have PCIe risers. Making extensions for all 8 GPU outputs is possible, but messy and expenisve.

On 4/19/2016 at 2:51 PM, Stefan1024 said:

I already have PCIe risers. Making extensions for all 8 GPU outputs is possible, but messy and expenisve.

You wouldnt need all 8 would you?

You can also just plug the cord in and run it around the side to the PCI-E expansion slots.

there should be an update on monday to fix the website issue

• 2 weeks later...

I really do not like how the wires just come up from the top.

Perhaps something like the lid on the RV02?

15 hours ago, thekeemo said:

I really do not like how the wires just come up from the top.

Perhaps something like the lid on the RV02?

The once from the MoBo I can route nicely as they face the wall. But the DP connectors from the GPU are a pain. There are next to no 90 degree DP cables out there, only HDMI.

A lid is nice to hide the cables, but it also covers the unused ports.

2 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

The once from the MoBo I can route nicely as they face the wall. But the DP connectors from the GPU are a pain. There are next to no 90 degree DP cables out there, only HDMI.

A lid is nice to hide the cables, but it also covers the unused ports.

It doesn't have to be a permanent lid. It can be something that you easily take on and off.

4 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

It doesn't have to be a permanent lid. It can be something that you easily take on and off.

Yes something magnet would be perfect. I will bookmark the idea for my next project.

7 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Yes something magnet would be perfect. I will bookmark the idea for my next project.

Is the project finished?

"Simple Yet Complex" 

1 minute ago, Stefan1024 said:

Let me see....

current state.jpg

No it is not ;)

It will take a few more month.

Oh okay.

"Simple Yet Complex"