[Finished] The number cruncher: Triple Xeon passive mineral oil cooling [Update 12: Final pictures and summary]

7 hours ago, ninninon said:

Be careful about Metal fume fever if you do do it. You'll also need a pretty large furnace that gets very hot, I've melted beer cans with a tin can some charcoal and a hair drier before. It was pretty cool, until the bottom of the tin can fell out and burnt a patio...

Oh we figured out a much better solution 

1 minute ago, ninninon said:

He's not making it out of steel...jeez, calm it down...

I was talking about the casting of heatsinks out of aluminum. Better to just buy a crapload of heatsinks

how can a mobo have coil whine?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

27 minutes ago, IMPERIUS said:

motherboards have coils

also stefan stop making all these amazing builds

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1 hour ago, IMPERIUS said:

It certainly can. And it does.

I uploaded two videos in the dedicated thread.

1 hour ago, thekeemo said:

motherboards have coils

also stefan stop making all these amazing builds

Why? :o

As long as I can sell them and don't run out of money or time I will continue ;)

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Just now, Stefan1024 said:

It certainly can. And it does.

I uploaded two videos in the dedicated thread.

Why? :o

As long as I can sell them and don't run out of money or time I will continue ;)

Wait you are selling them?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, thekeemo said:

Wait you are selling them?

The first one I made I sold about a week ago.

I will hand over the silent cube to my girlfriend once this build is up and running. If I do a fourth build I have to sell one of this two first.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

1 minute ago, Stefan1024 said:

The first one I made I sold about a week ago.

I will hand over the silent cube to my girlfriend once this build is up and running. If I do a fourth build I have to sell one of this two first.

You could probably make a webstore for them.

Just now, thekeemo said:

You could probably make a webstore for them.

With one build per year? Yes maybe. But setting this up will require quite some time.

Or wait: "Squarespace: Buid it beautiful!" /s

4 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

With one build per year? Yes maybe. But setting this up will require quite some time.

Or wait: "Squarespace: Buid it beautiful!" /s

Or you could hire me..

For the price of your silent cube...

/jk

Though I actually can make you a site for less money than squarespace and use that money to passively cool my own system.

Just now, thekeemo said:

Or you could hire me..

For the price of your silent cube...

If you come over, pick it up and carry it to Canada by hand.... ?

On 2/12/2016 at 2:07 PM, Stefan1024 said:

If you come over, pick it up and carry it to Canada by hand.... ?

I edited.

Though I can probably make my transit from Canada to Egypt in Switzerland instead of London Paris or Frankfurt..

edit: just checked I can..

edit: as of may I no longer can

Update 2: Design finalized

Due to the change of the heat sinks I had to redo the design work. I decreased the heat sink weigth from ~64kg to ~31 kg, but increased the oil volume from 30.8 liter to 44.8 liter. As I can take the oil out to move the build, I will actually be able to move it once assembeled.

The size is 480x400x400mm.

5.thumb.JPG.bf118df1bd2aa8170f3e95512936

4.thumb.JPG.386854313144e746179cdb1d702d

3.thumb.JPG.661ea92d4ac8a74cf1f919e9849b

This looks really nice. Can't wait to see the final product

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Update 3: Xeon Phi

I disassemebled the Xeon Phi to prepare the cooling. Somebody at Intel knows a decent amount about cooling and got a huge budget to do his job. Nvidia and AMD should learn from this example!

The backplate makes the card very stiff and it makes direct contact with the VRAM chips on the back. Also there are heat pipes embedded in to back plate and there are two copper heat bridges to the main cooler on the front side. Looking at you Titan X with VRAMs on the back in the 90°C range.

DSC01365.thumb.JPG.aff9591a75887c251ed9f

DSC01367.thumb.JPG.dd2442ab7401c918a0fa0

The coolir itself is made out of copper and aluminum and has two more heat pipes. And it also makes direct contact to all important components:

DSC01366.thumb.JPG.f42fd458ef012c29d1ff8

DSC01369.thumb.JPG.34a7952ef0be3d369a2e0

And the core itself is cooled by a big vapor chamber with copper finns direct soldered onto it. I assume the 200$ intel sells this card for is just the BOM cost or even less.

DSC01371.thumb.JPG.bc77653da746311f1fcc3

I will try to cut off the finns from the vapor chamber to reuse it. But I only have one singel try and it is very vulnerable.

Also I like the blue shroud much more than the aggressive green ore red look of the GPUs from some unnamed manufacturers.

DSC01364.thumb.JPG.98f361bee830be6ea54e0

7 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

200$ intel sells this card for is just the BOM cost or even less.

Um, how'd you get a Phi for $200? Intel's price for them is $1000+.

Woah, there are places selling them for $200. Consider me surprised.

The Cheap SFF Wonder -- Turning a Core 2 Duo SFF machine into a useful member of computer society!

i5 3570 -- AS.Rock Z77 Pro3 -- 12GB DDR3 -- R9 380X -- 840Evo 500GB/1TB HDD 

I speak the honest truth with a bit of snark mixed in. I'm sorry if it doesn't line up with your beliefs.

Just now, fire219 said:

Um, how'd you get a Phi for $200? Intel's price for them is $1000+.

Woah, there are places selling them for $200. Consider me surprised.

They preproduced a lot of them for a supercomputer that was redesigned afterwars. So Intel is sitting on a warehouse full of this cards they can't sell anymore. They just want to get rid of them. The  price of all other Phis (including the same model, but with the active cooler) is way up in the sky.

this looks cool definitely interested in this

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Update 4: Vapor chamber

I cut off the finns of the heat sink of the Xeon Phi. As it has a vapor chamber as a base plate I have now a perfect heat spreader for the Xeon Phi core. And it was even free ;)

56c4d1d494ebd_2016-02-1720.36.00.thumb.j

56c4d1db604f6_2016-02-1720.36.36.thumb.j

37 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Update 4: Vapor chamber

I cut off the finns of the heat sink of the Xeon Phi. As it has a vapor chamber as a base plate I have now a perfect heat spreader for the Xeon Phi core. And it was even free ;)

is the vapor chamber predone or are you going to pull the vacuum yourself?

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

8 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

@Maybach123

It is predone. I do not have the tools nor the skills to di it myself.

thats always been something i want to try but i dont have the resources to do it myself as well 

Interim report

I got the replace MoBo and this one is marvellous quiet. Also it runns up to 104 MHz BCLK and so I was able to squize out a bit more performance:

2182.thumb.png.7281b8ad08f9549e55e71e869

On 13/02/2016 at 9:10 AM, Stefan1024 said:

Update 1: Super loud coil whine

I got the MoBo and the RAM yesterday. The first thing I did was a benchmark: 2100 in Cinebench R15. Not to bad for two 200$ CPUs

run4.thumb.jpg.3759c60fc36567857436a31ca

However the MoBo has massive coil whine >:(

It's even louder than the two Noctua fans on max speed! Here is a sample if you like: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/srbacaffpmj4b1y/AADeAuNx3Q9HkL9C76jn6miUa?dl=0

The oil can dampen some coil whine, but it will never be aber to silence that amount :(

If you know how to fiy it, please give me a hand here:

Thank you.

On 13/02/2016 at 9:10 AM, Stefan1024 said:

OCCT the board for a few hours,if thats doesnt do it then use superglue on the cap body or cover it in heatshrink. They will quieten them down eventually,if its a new board then just RMA it for peace of mind.

And yes,I am 2CPU.

GxORJdF.jpg

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.