[Finished] The number cruncher: Triple Xeon passive mineral oil cooling [Update 12: Final pictures and summary]

exciting stuff... now to create a lake of oil of your own

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

Why isn't oil used in water cooling loops? Is it the viscosity? Doesn't it transfer heat better? Or is it the other way around, the only reason water isn't used is because it / can be conductive?

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

2 minutes ago, ElfenSky said:

Why isn't oil used in water cooling loops? Is it the viscosity? Doesn't it transfer heat better? Or is it the other way around, the only reason water isn't used is because it / can be conductive?

Water has:

- The best heat capacity of all (reasonable priced) fluids

- much lower viscosity, especially at low temerature

As fat as I know there are loops with oil, but it's only because "you can". When your oil loop leaks, the compenents don't get's shortend out, but you will never be able to clean all oil off and the dust will stick to it making it just bad loking.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

7 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Water has:

- The best heat capacity of all (reasonable priced) fluids

- much lower viscosity, especially at low temerature

As fat as I know there are loops with oil, but it's only because "you can". When your oil loop leaks, the compenents don't get's shortend out, but you will never be able to clean all oil off and the dust will stick to it making it just bad loking.

I see thanks.

Tbh what I imagine your next build be:

pnJUV1c.png

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Most unbalaced, yet a good build nevertheless :P 

Groomlake Authority

51 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Haha, yes this would be hilarious :)

Oooh are you ready for this PC enthousiasts?

Aye aye, Captain

*sound of a spinning hard drive that's too loud*

I can't hear you!

"AYE AYE CAPTAIN!"

Oooooooh.

Who lives in a massive black block of thick steel?

"Stefan, M-byte!"

So quiet and oily and cooled is he!

"Stefan, M-byte"

If quiet computers be something you wish!

"Stefan, M-byte"

Then drop a few thousand and pray for a dish!

"Stefan, M-byte"

READY?
"Stefan, M-byte"
"Stefan, M-byte"
"Stefan, M-byte"

Stefaaaaan M-BYYYYYTE! AH AHH AHH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHH...

4 minutes ago, ElfenSky said:

Oooh are you ready for this PC enthousiasts?

Aye aye, Captain

*sound of a spinning hard drive that's too loud*

I can't hear you!

"AYE AYE CAPTAIN!"

Oooooooh.

Who lives in a massive black block of thick steel?

"Stefan, M-byte!"

So quiet and oily and cooled is he!

"Stefan, M-byte"

If quiet computers be something you wish!

"Stefan, M-byte"

Then drop a few thousand and pray for a dish!

"Stefan, M-byte"

READY?
"Stefan, M-byte"
"Stefan, M-byte"
"Stefan, M-byte"

StefanM-BYYYYYTE! AH AHH AHH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHH...

Love it!

Budget Rig "Curable":     | FX 6300 @4.5Ghz | Asus R9 270x | Asus Crosshair IV Extreme | 16GB HyperX Beast | 120GB PNY SSD

Tablet "Buddy":                 Trekstor Wintron 10.1|

46 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

-snip-

Well, i really dont know your needs and you didnt seem to state specifically which they where (The Number Crusher as in crushing benchmarks?), but with a build with dual Xeons (i understand theyr from 2012 and you needed to save on costs) and a huge Xeon Phi coprocessor, dont you think a Titan X and Samsung 850 Evos are not very appropriated? With a build like this, it would be Quadros, Teslas and some sort of enterprise grade ssd? But yeah, if im not wrong, you had a fixed budget (Because if you were to follow my point you would have gotten Skylake Xeons, Quadro M6000, Tesla K80, Samsung PM1633 and so on). Im not saying you could have done better with the resources you had, im just saying that for its purpose its unbalaced from my perspective :P

Groomlake Authority

7 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Well, i really dont know your needs and you didnt seem to state specifically which they where (The Number Crusher as in crushing benchmarks?), but with a build with dual Xeons (i understand theyr from 2012 and you needed to save on costs) and a huge Xeon Phi coprocessor, dont you think a Titan X and Samsung 850 Evos are not very appropriated? With a build like this, it would be Quadros, Teslas and some sort of enterprise grade ssd? But yeah, if im not wrong, you had a fixed budget (Because if you were to follow my point you would have gotten Skylake Xeons, Quadro M6000, Tesla K80, Samsung PM1633 and so on). Im not saying you could have done better with the resources you had, im just saying that for its purpose its unbalaced from my perspective :P

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Stefan solely interested in CPU-intensive workloads and the GPU in general was an unexpected splurge? And for home use isn't an EVO2sexy-reference, MCM represent enough? I remember some test existing where it performed way above its promised livespan?

7 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

I will use it (and have already used it) for large Matlab compute tasks that take several hours even with all 16 cores maxed out. The Xeon Phi is supposed to bring the time down, and at it's relatively low price point (for a Xeon Phi in general an extremly low price point) it is a worth a try for me. Also ECC memory is a nice add-in for this taks.

However, the machine is not "misson critical", otherwise it woulbe be insane to passive oil cool it. So I saved the money for the sever grade storage. As for the GPU: I just sold my other PC and hade some cach and there was this guy selling a Titan X for the price a GTX980 used to be here. I have to admit it was an "impulse buy" but I don't regret it. I only do ligth CAD and even a GTX970 was doing fine. The Quadros are just to expensive, let alone the Teslas. And I will game on this machine in my (at the moment not existent) free time.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

27 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

- snip -

But you are rigth, with an unlimitted budget I would have used 2x E5-2687W v4 and a NVME SSD. On the GPU side I'm not sure, the Quadros are not worth the extra cost for what I'm doing. But I would have gotten two.

Something that you might want to think about is the base plate of the whole system later. Have to make sure that it doesn't leak anything. Not sure what the best solution would be (welding?). 

On 15.6.2016 at 6:08 PM, GlassBomb said:

Something that you might want to think about is the base plate of the whole system later. Have to make sure that it doesn't leak anything. Not sure what the best solution would be (welding?). 

Welding is not ossible as it would heat up the heat sinks to much and frie the attached electronic. I will use silicone compound that is oil and heat resistant and also pretty cheap to buy.

Update 9: Moved the build across a lake

So I moved to a new flat that can only be be reached by ship. It is not an island, but sandwiched between the lake and mountains so there is no street. Without the oil it was not even to hard to move the big block of metal that is supposed to be a PC.

2016-06-16 08.54.11.jpg

2016-06-16 14.46.45.jpg

2016-06-16 10.42.16.jpg

2016-06-16 10.40.13.jpg

2016-06-16 10.51.02.jpg

2016-06-16 10.51.08.jpg

2016-06-16 10.51.41.jpg

2016-06-16 11.27.37.jpg

2016-06-16 11.55.23.jpg

5 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Update 9: Moved the build across a lake

which lake is this?

BTW servus aus Bayern ;) 

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

That is awesome and those are some pretty nice pictures. However I gotta ask what kind of internet speeds does somewhere like that get?

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

53 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

which lake is this?

BTW servus aus Bayern ;) 

It is the "Walensee"

walensee.png

46 minutes ago, Trey222 said:

That is awesome and those are some pretty nice pictures. However I gotta ask what kind of internet speeds does somewhere like that get?

The cable is pathetic, like 1 MBit/s, but LTE is pretty good with 25 - 32 MBit/s down and 15 - 20 MBit/s up. And we have one ISP that offers unlimitted (not sure if they throtle over 100 GByte or so) wireless data for only 35$ a month, the others are >80$.

2 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

It is the "Walensee"

The cable is pathetic, like 1 MBit/s, but LTE is pretty good with 25 - 32 MBit/s down and 15 - 20 MBit/s up. And we have one ISP that offers unlimitted (not sure if they throtle over 100 GByte or so) wireless data for only 35$ a month, the others are >80$.

I have driven by muhlehorn. our family has a house in geneva and a farm a little west of a small town named murten. Its on the french side, but we have driven all over switzerland. I would like to move to geneva when i am finished with grad school. 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

8 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

It is the "Walensee"

That LTE is still faster than what the majority of Australia gets. :(

Check out my YouTube channel here and don't forget to subscribe :D

Current build: Project Athena

4 hours ago, nmil said:

That LTE is still faster than what the majority of Australia gets. :(

I'm genuinely surpriced it works so well. Even 5 years ago I would have been stuck with the 1 MBit/s cable for about 40$ a month.