[Finished] The number cruncher: Triple Xeon passive mineral oil cooling [Update 12: Final pictures and summary]

@Stefan1024 Damn! Despite not-so-great internet, I am actually slightly jealous of your new location. I've always had a weakness for spots which lie a bit off the beaten path, so to speak. Plus, I love lakes, rivers, the sea and all that good stuff.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Wow, beautiful place.

I kinda want too move too a village on the German or Swiss alps after visiting one in Germany.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

19 hours ago, alpenwasser said:

@Stefan1024 Damn! Despite not-so-great internet, I am actually slightly jealous of your new location. I've always had a weakness for spots which lie a bit off the beaten path, so to speak. Plus, I love lakes, rivers, the sea and all that good stuff.

"a bit of the beaten path" is quite a bit an understatement ;)

I'm allways thinking about if I'm genius or insane to move to a location like this. But at the moment I'm definitly on the "genius" side. Last Saturday when I had problems with my stomage in the middle of the nigth and I couldn't visit a doctor because there was no ship, it was more "insane".

18 hours ago, spwath said:

Wow, beautiful place.

I kinda want too move too a village on the German or Swiss alps after visiting one in Germany.

Yes, Switzerland has a lot of wonderful places. But when you are way up in the mountains, it get's difficult to finde a job, that doesn't take a lot of time to get there.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

1 hour ago, Stefan1024 said:

"a bit of the beaten path" is quite a bit an understatement ;)

I'm allways thinking about if I'm genius or insane to move to a location like this. But at the moment I'm definitly on the "genius" side. Last Saturday when I had problems with my stomage in the middle of the nigth and I couldn't visit a doctor because there was no ship, it was more "insane".

Yes, Switzerland has a lot of wonderful places. But when you are way up in the mountains, it get's difficult to finde a job, that doesn't take a lot of time to get there.

Yeah, there is always a downside. Also right now i only speak English und nicht gut deutsch.

But, my pictures from my trip are so pretty

Spoiler

DSCF5955.JPGDSCF5973.JPGDSCF5982.JPGDSCF6039.JPGDSCF6047.JPGDSCF6142.JPG

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Looks like a graphics card can take a LOT of beating!

It's still alive despite I abused it pretty hard until the mounting was finished. Need to do some more cable management and sealing, then I can fill the pot with oil. Te build needs to be finished quickly, I have no time for my PC at the moment....

IMG_20160623_1947256.jpg

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Update 10: Assembly

So I have a lot of work to do and therefor I need my workstation up and runnig. So I finished it as fast as possible.

I'm a bit paranoid about leaking so I used dual or even triple sealing whereover possible. Sadly the oil and temperature resistant sealing was only aviable in brown-red, but I can paint the outside black again later.

The system is a ligth load at the moment to speed up the drying process of all the adhesive and sealing used. I will fill it with oil in a couple of hours.

The only thing still missung is the metal stip to protect the IOs of the GPU and the glas plate on top.

10_1.jpg

10_2.jpg

10_3.jpg

10_4.jpg

10_5.jpg

10_6.jpg

10_7.jpg

10_8.jpg

10_9.jpg

10_10.jpg

3 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

snip

That is awesome, can't wait to see it filled. Also the red actually looks pretty decent IMO. 

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

2 minutes ago, Trey222 said:

That is awesome, can't wait to see it filled. Also the red actually looks pretty decent IMO. 

The most used color is blue, but there are two red 7-segment displays on the MoBo I can't turn off and some green LEDs, so it's not a monochome build anyway. The RAM PCB is also blue but it is jam-packed with chips so it basicly black ;)

Have you seen a therapist for your insanity yet? Also why does the audio cable have a ferrite bead?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

9 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Have you seen a therapist for your insanity yet? Also why does the audio cable have a ferrite bead?

I'm happy with my insanity so no need to change it. Also I'm normal, but everyone else seems to be strange... /s

The audio solution is very temporarly as I kooked up my smal portable speakers until I wallmounted my real once. The cable is the one that come with the speakers.

Looks like they had some EMI problems.

3 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

I'm happy with my insanity so no need to change it. Also I'm normal, but everyone else seems to be strange... /s

The audio solution is very temporarly as I kooked up my smal portable speakers until I wallmounted my real once. The cable is the one that come with the speakers.

Interesting. I have only seen them on mice and and display cables.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

7 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

3 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Interesting. I have only seen them on mice and and display cables.

They look to be the same cable that comes with acer monitors with integrated speakers.

Time out, the rubber on the noctua, will that be ok? 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

32 minutes ago, Heesleemer said:

Thank you for the hint.

It should be fine and without the fan will touch the heat sink.

Also the oil will pick up some dust from the components that have been used over the last couple of month. Unless I filled my bathtub with isoprobanol to submerge and clean every single component I can't get rid of it.

So I will use a pump and filters to clean the oil in a few weeks. If some rubber has desolved I can it out too.

54 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Thank you for the hint.

It should be fine and without the fan will touch the heat sink.

Also the oil will pick up some dust from the components that have been used over the last couple of month. Unless I filled my bathtub with isoprobanol to submerge and clean every single component I can't get rid of it.

So I will use a pump and filters to clean the oil in a few weeks. If some rubber has desolved I can it out too.

I thought you were using silicon oil? which shouldn't degrade rubber

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

1 minute ago, Maybach123 said:

I thought you were using silicon oil? which shouldn't degrade rubber

I was not able to get it on a reasonable price. 40 liter of this stuff is >500$ so I bought 60 liter of very high quality mineral oil for 160$.

10 hours ago, Heesleemer said:

Good point I forgot rubber is destroyed in oil.

My Work in Progress PC http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/522048-xeon-build/ <-- That PC was built but never booted:(

My Work in Progress PC 2.0 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/540583-xeon-build-20-code-name-xenox (Hopefully this one boots.) 

Update 11: Filled the PC with 40 liter of oil!

So I finally filled the pot with medical grade mineral oil and I needed exactly 40 liter.

However, i have bad news: It is leaking. Not very much, I can catch all leaked oil of the last four hours with a single paper towel but still. And I'm not sure how to seal it. The in- and outside already have lots of silicone seal, so adding more won't help much. I', thinking about casting the bottom 3 cm of the build.

The second bad news is power consumption. With Prime95 and Furmark concurently running, the PC pulls about 900 watts from the wall. This is significantly more than the estimated 600 - 650 watts. The stress test is still running, but it won't be able to get rid of next to 1kW passivly.

The reason is the Xeon Phi with an idle power consuption of 120 watts. And Prime95 is pushing the CPU beyond the rated TDP.

But for now, enjoy the pictures:

11_1.jpg

11_2.jpg

11_3.jpg

11_4.jpg

11_5.jpg

And a dust cover until I finished the top.

11_6.jpg

So it looks like 900 watts is simply to much for this 4 tiny heat sinks. But the thermal capacity is so huge I can run it under the extreme load of Prime95 and furmark for 2,5 hours before it gets a bit toasty. Once the system was hot, I switched to unigine heaven and the temperatures stoped rising. But I have to admit the GPU throttled from 1189 MHz down to 1113 MHz (-6.3%). But I can game for hours before I reach this point. Still one of the fastest passively cooled Titan X on the planet.

Rigth now I'm folding to see the load of a reasonable application, but the CPU is not getting an WUs. @Whaler_99 , how it the state of CPU folding ATM?

Keep in minde the graph is showing the time frame of 4 hours.

Screenshot 2016-06-26 10.30.11.png

Screenshot 2016-06-26 11.09.41.png

1 hour ago, Stefan1024 said:

So it looks like 900 watts is simply to much for this 4 tiny heat sinks. But the thermal capacity is so huge I can run it under the extreme load of Prime95 and furmark for 2,5 hours before it gets a bit toasty. Once the system was hot, I switched to unigine heaven and the temperatures stoped rising. But I have to admit the GPU throttled from 1189 MHz down to 1113 MHz (-6.3%). But I can game for hours before I reach this point. Still one of the fastest passively cooled Titan X on the planet.

Rigth now I'm folding to see the load of a reasonable application, but the CPU is not getting an WUs. @Whaler_99 , how it the state of CPU folding ATM?

CPU folding still isn't the greatest. You generate points but not huge. If you want to fold on CPU I would recommend the Chrome client and just crank out a huge number of WU's...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

8 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

Nice job with the build. Maybe you should paint the seams with a Engine Enamel  like this https://www.zoro.com/rust-oleum-engine-enamel-hi-ht-flt-alum-12-oz-spray-248904/i/G2819117/?gclid=CjwKEAjw-r27BRCzsNyzrMrM-j0SJACp2TiBhk7I1GTDhlmRnWGSO_RJd4-L93xuP9FrbO02uge13BoCe2Pw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds. It should hold back any leaks and it can handle heat just fine. 

Also as Whaler said CPU folding is not great I have accumulated about 500K points from my E5 2670 and I run it a decent amount of the time, however your Titan X would be amazing at folding.  

11 minutes ago, Trey222 said:

Nice job with the build. Maybe you should paint the seams with a Engine Enamel  like this https://www.zoro.com/rust-oleum-engine-enamel-hi-ht-flt-alum-12-oz-spray-248904/i/G2819117/?gclid=CjwKEAjw-r27BRCzsNyzrMrM-j0SJACp2TiBhk7I1GTDhlmRnWGSO_RJd4-L93xuP9FrbO02uge13BoCe2Pw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds. It should hold back any leaks and it can handle heat just fine. 

Also as Whaler said CPU folding is not great I have accumulated about 500K points from my E5 2670 and I run it a decent amount of the time, however your Titan X would be amazing at folding.  

The spray is a good idea.

CPU folding was only to put load on the system and make use of the electricity. And I will use the Titan to fold but only during the winter ;)

3 hours ago, Stefan1024 said:

The spray is a good idea.

CPU folding was only to put load on the system and make use of the electricity. And I will use the Titan to fold but only during the winter ;)

You should consider brazing each of the aluminum pieces together. you can do it at home without welding.  That would seal everything up quickly and reliably. 

7 hours ago, nycesquire said:

You should consider brazing each of the aluminum pieces together. you can do it at home without welding.  That would seal everything up quickly and reliably. 

I already recommended this earlier, but apparently he has to attach all the computer hardware to the heat sinks before assembling the sides, so it is not possible to braze the sides together.

Check out my YouTube channel here and don't forget to subscribe :D

Current build: Project Athena

8 hours ago, nycesquire said:

1 hour ago, nmil said:

I already recommended this earlier, but apparently he has to attach all the computer hardware to the heat sinks before assembling the sides, so it is not possible to braze the sides together.

Yes, sadly I have no equipment, skill and knowledge to braze. And it will fry my electronics.

My new plan is:

- get a pump and take out all the oil

- seal the bottom with a spry

- add a hardware power switch for the Xeon Phi

- refill the oil

- if it's still leaking just cast the *** thing in the safety basins