Best ways to disable telemetry and data collection in Windows 7 / 8 / 10

Disable, Uninstall, and Block, Windows 7 / 8 Telemetry, and Remove Windows 10 Notifications

A series of updates that came through Windows Update for Windows 7 and 8 arrived in August 2015, adding Microsoft's telemetry to Windows 7 and 8. These updates were not required, and could be declined from installing, but if a person had automatic updates enabled, these updates were automatically installed. If a person doesn't want these to be installed, they can be quickly uninstalled, and blocked from being re-downloaded and installed by running the script that is available for download on this page:

Script for Win 7/8 to block all telemetry updates and Windows 10 upgrade components

The direct download link for the script package, also listed in the given link is here.

This script package is also good for anyone who doesn't want Windows 7 or 8 to download Windows 10, or to keep bugging them about the Windows 10 upgrade, as the download includes a script that will stop Windows 7 and 8 from notifying a PC about the Windows 10 update.

Essentially, running these scripts will result in a PC behaving as if Windows 10 had never come along: The telemetry updates won't be searched for by Windows update, and there will be no more notifications regarding Windows 10.

Disable Windows 10 Telemetry

Disable Windows 10 telemetry and data collection by following the guide here: How to disable Telemetry and Data Collection in Windows 10

There is one part of the guide which is no longer accurate, which is the part where it says:

Go to Services and Applications -> Services in the left pane. In the services list, disable the following services:

Diagnostics Tracking Service
dmwappushsvc

Since the Windows 10 version 1151 update, "Diagnostics Tracking Service" has been changed to "Connected User Experiences and Telemetry service". So a person will have to follow the same given instructions regarding "Connected User Experiences and Telemetry service" instead of "Diagnostics Tracking Service".

If you are aware of updated information regarding telemetry and data collection in Windows 7 / 8 / 10, or know improved methods to disable it, please share it.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

you know your ISP collects everything even if you dont use windows 10, right?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I disagree. The best way to disable windows telemetry is to uninstall windows.

Also I strongly advise anyone who reads this against running random scripts on their machines without understanding what they do. That would be a fantastic way to mess up your system.

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

I disagree. The best way to disable windows telemetry is to uninstall windows.

Also I strongly advise anyone who reads this against running random scripts on their machines without understanding what they do. That would be a fantastic way to mess up your system.

Random scripts, yes. But these scripts are verified by many people, including myself, and what they do is detailed in the link. So they aren't random.

No they don't. You're talking about web browsing history, which is not the data that is being collected by Windows telemetry.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Then I think its time for you to switch ISPs or start using a vpn.

Random scripts, yes.  But these scripts are verified by many people, including myself. So it isn't random.

I'm sorry but I don't trust random guys on the internet. And I'd advise that everyone else takes the same path.

If you actually want to use it read through the whole thing yourself and decide if its fine to run on your system.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

I'm sorry but I don't trust random guys on the internet. And I'd advise that everyone else takes the same path.

If you actually want to use it read through the whole thing yourself and decide if its fine to run on your system.

Well I have, and yes, it'd be smart for others to always do the same.

Does reading about people disabling telemetry and data collection in Windows make you paranoid about something?

Does reading about people disabling telemetry and data collection in Windows make you paranoid about something?

Yes, it makes me paranoid that my PC is going to crash some day because people like you disable telemetry and Microsoft won't fix the bugs  :mellow:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Yes, it makes me paranoid that my PC is going to crash some day because people like you disable telemetry and Microsoft won't fix the bugs  :mellow:

Wow, no wonder you like tinfoil. Guess you make yourself a lot hats from it.

Wow, no wonder you like tinfoil. Guess you make yourself a lot hats from it.

The one they sell nowadays is aluminium foil, it doesn't even work  :unsure:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Just don't connect to the internet and you will be fine. 

Magical Pineapples

You know that modifying the Windows 10 Install using scripts is against Microsoft's Terms and Condi

Random scripts, yes. But these scripts are verified by many people, including myself, and what they do is detailed in the link. So they aren't random.

For all I know these could be random and cause damage to PCs.

Just don't connect to the internet and you will be fine. 

There is al kinds of ways they can track you. Even without internet . They use radio frequencies to do so.  There's also NSA stuff in motherboards.

tions. So don't be surprised if Microsoft slaps and refuses to update your machine.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Well I have, and yes, it'd be smart for others to always do the same.

Good Man. Its nothing personal but its silly to blatantly trust some random script that supposedly disables telemetry to not install other things like keyloggers or bitcoin miners etc, on your system.

It kinda concerns me that you think this way while on a tech forum.

You know that modifying the Windows 10 Install using scripts is against Microsoft's Terms and Condi

There is al kinds of ways they can track you. Even without internet . They use radio frequencies to do so. There's also NSA stuff in motherboards.

tions. So don't be surprised if Microsoft slaps and refuses to update your machine.

@AluminiumTech

Oh right. Like this guy said. You no longer own windows. So you are not allowed to freely execute what you want on your machine if its running windows.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

There is al kinds of ways they can track you. Even without internet . They use radio frequencies to do so.  There's also NSA stuff in motherboards.

Don't use a computer than. 

Magical Pineapples

No they don't. You're talking about web browsing history, which is not the data that is being collected by Windows telemetry.

Actually no. Clearly you dont pay attention the the laws that get passed by your government.

Your ISP is required by law to store all data sent over the network between your house and the web. ALL data. Doesnt matter if its from your phone, your laptop, your PC, anything that connects to the internet.

And no, it is not web browsing history. That's what browsers collect. The ISP collects all the data packets sent, even if youre not browsing the web, such as emailing someone, or sending a file to someone, or anything that uses internet.

And yes, they are also required by law to give all that information to the government when requested. Not that long ago a law was passed that allowed this (which has been going on for years btw) to happen without the client being notified, so if the government asks the ISP to give them all the data from your internet connection between X and Y dates, they are required to give it, and you wont find out.

All ISPs are required to do it by law, at least in most countries such as the US, canada, australia, etc...

A VPN does not magically make your internet connection bypass your ISP

Your ISP is still the connection between you and the web. It's just that with a VPN they will get additional levels of encryption on your data.

Which if the NSA wants to crack they can anyway, but nobody is going to bother unless youre doing something illegal and the government is trying to track you

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

EhGfpiw.png

Oh right. Like this guy said. You no longer own windows. So you are not allowed to freely execute what you want on your machine if its running windows.

You never owned windows. It was always the license to use windows, just like now, nothing changed in that front.

Spoiler

Good Man. Its nothing personal but its silly to blatantly trust some random script that supposedly disables telemetry to not install other things like keyloggers or bitcoin miners etc, on your system.

@AluminiumTech

You can execute any piece of code. But microsoft can do the same. And yeah, you don't own a copy of Windows. You're buying the right to use it.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Actually no. Clearly you dont pay attention the the laws that get passed by your government.

Your ISP is required by law to store all data sent over the network between your house and the web. ALL data. Doesnt matter if its from your phone, your laptop, your PC, anything that connects to the internet.

And no, it is not web browsing history. That's what browsers collect. The ISP collects all the data packets sent, even if youre not browsing the web, such as emailing someone, or sending a file to someone, or anything that uses internet.

And yes, they are also required by law to give all that information to the government when requested. Not that long ago a law was passed that allowed this (which has been going on for years btw) to happen without the client being notified, so if the government asks the ISP to give them all the data from your internet connection between X and Y dates, they are required to give it, and you wont find out.

All ISPs are required to do it by law, at least in most countries such as the US, canada, australia, etc...

Your ISP is still the connection between you and the web. It's just that with a VPN they will get additional levels of encryption on your data.

Which if the NSA wants to crack they can anyway, but nobody is going to bother unless youre doing something illegal and the government is trying to track you

Yes but a VPN will mask your data. Also the fact that there is all of this logging and crap shows that people are bothering the user even when they aren't doing something illegal. I have nothing to hide therefore you have no reason to look. It shouldn't be the attitude a lot of people seem to accept now that is "I have nothing to hide so feel free to sift through everything I do. Oh and if you want to stand over my shoulder and breath down my neck while you're at it feel free to do so."

EhGfpiw.png

You never owned windows. It was always the license to use windows, just like now, nothing changed in that front.

Explain to me what part of my sig is incorrect.

As for the never owning windows I don't get why you are ok having the maker of your software limit what you can do with your hardware. This just seems ridiculous to me.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Explain to me what part of my sig is incorrect.

As for the never owning windows I don't get why you are ok having the maker of your software limit what you can do with your hardware. This just seems ridiculous to me.

It's as paranoid as it gets.

Can you explain what you think is limited?

Spoiler

The Windows 10 guide doesn't involve any scripts. Regardless, that bit of information is something I will have to see for myself, as it doesn't sound very practical, considering all the ways people customize their Windows OS.

Microsoft will not stop updating machines out of spite for people disabling Windows telemetry - and in fact Microsoft has made it easy for Enterprise versions of Windows 10 to disable telemetry. It sounds like the thought of people not being snooped on makes you angry. That's very odd.

You can execute any piece of code. But microsoft can do the same. And yeah, you don't own a copy of Windows. You're buying the right to use it.

A person with a Windows license owns a license to Windows. That means that they own an instance of the software. A person doesn't buy the IP that is the software, but they buy a license for it, and that license is a usable instance of the software, and is protected by bartering and property laws. Microsoft cannot treat that instance of the software which is the property of an individual as if it is still Microsoft's property, because it isn't. There is a difference in law between borrowing, leasing, and buying. A software license is bought by an individual, and that license becomes their property, in the same manner that your physical PC is your property.

This is also the basis behind the EU supreme court ruling that software licenses, including digitally-bought ones, may be resold by the person who own them.

Whoa there. First off, the data collected by ISP's is not the data collected by Microsoft through Windows telemetry and data collection.

Windows telemetry and data collection largely pertains in-OS processes, which, if not collected by MS, are not being collected anywhere. It is only for the purpose of transmitting this information to MS after it has been gathered via telemetry services that it passes from a person's home and through the internet at all. So if Windows telemetry isn't collecting it, it isn't going anywhere.

Second, the information that passes through your home network is not collected by ISP's, and doesn't leave the home network. ISP's have no access to that data.

Third, ISPs do not collect all the data that transmits from your PC.

Yes but a VPN will mask your data. Also the fact that there is all of this logging and crap shows that people are bothering the user even when they aren't doing something illegal. I have nothing to hide therefore you have no reason to look. It shouldn't be the attitude a lot of people seem to accept now that is "I have nothing to hide so feel free to sift through everything I do. Oh and if you want to stand over my shoulder and breath down my neck while you're at it feel free to do so."

Nobody is "bothering the user" lol

you're so paranoid

All it is is a big server which is not human that stores all the data

No human will ever look through it xD you think the government has time to hire millions of humans to search through the trillions of exabytes of data from millions of other users??

NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR DATA

seriously

all you're doing is spreading paranoia among inexperienced users

its far more likely that you die from a murderer breaking into your home than any real human being ever reading that old email you sent to your mom ten years ago

by not using windows 10, you're not preventing anything

the goverment is still getting what they want by other means such as ISPs

thinking that disabling some statistics tracking in windows will keep your privacy is being delusional and lying to yourself

Spoiler

Nobody is "bothering the user" lol

you're so paranoid

All it is is a big server which is not human that stores all the data

No human will ever look through it xD you think the government has time to hire millions of humans to search through the trillions of exabytes of data from millions of other users??

NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR DATA

seriously

all you're doing is spreading paranoia among inexperienced users

its far more likely that you die from a murderer breaking into your home than any real human being ever reading that old email you sent to your mom ten years ago

by not using windows 10, you're not preventing anything

the goverment is still getting what they want by other means such as ISPs

thinking that disabling some statistics tracking in windows will keep your privacy is being delusional and lying to yourself

Take a pill man. It sounds like you care about other people's data quite a lot. But your information is very inaccurate, and I see no point for you to care so much.

Whoa there. First off, the data collected by ISP's is not the data collected by Microsoft through Windows telemetry and data collection.

Windows telemetry and data collection largely pertains in-OS processes, which, if not collected by MS, are not being collected anywhere. It is only for the purpose of transmitting this information to MS after it has been gathered via telemetry services that it passes from a person's home and through the internet at all. So if Windows telemetry isn't collecting it, it isn't going anywhere.

Second, the information that passes through your home network is not collected by ISP's, and doesn't leave the home network.

Third, ISPs do not collect all the data that transmits from your PC.

Yes

ISPs collect all the data that goes between your PC and the internet

No they cant collect the data over your local network since that doesnt pass through them

Microsoft collects statistics about what programs you use or websites you visit or stuff you search with cortana

Your IPS collects everything that passes between your phone or linux laptop or windows PC and the web

None of it will ever be looked at by a real human, so it doesnt matter anyway

Spoiler

It's as paranoid as it gets.

Can you explain what you think is limited?

Section one:

I have nothing to hide therefore you have no reason to look. It shouldn't be the attitude a lot of people seem to accept now that is "I have nothing to hide so feel free to sift through everything I do. Oh and if you want to stand over my shoulder and breath down my neck while you're at it feel free to do so."

Section 2:

You are violating the terms of service by messing around and turning off 'features'. These features always run in the background therefore using your hardware. You should be free to modify and excute whatever you please on your own hardware. You shouldn't have to violate you terms and conditions by doing this.

There is some hardcore windows fanboying going on in this thread. Oh its ok to let windows spy on me because daddy microsoft said so.

Seriously, dudes script is useful. I just advised against running it without checking what it does.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

your information is very inaccurate

Thanks, you proof is definitely undeniable, I love how you proved all of my points wrong with all your sources and intelligent information.

This is great that you get fooled into a false sense of security that "oh, linux and a vpn keeps me safe"

I guess ignorance really is bliss...

Not like it matters anyway, the government isnt interested in spying on stupid people, they have more important stuff to do with their time.

Spoiler