hardest part of building a pc

JevCWatson

hardest ? part selection, most tedious and boring ? cable management by far

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

The hardest thing for me was to install the Hyper 212 Evo cooler, everything else was as easy as 1 2 3, although, I had some problems with cable management.

hardest part for me was selecting a nice balanced range of components. in the end i ended up with a way to powerful CPU for my GPU, tough with my current build i think it's pretty much alright :D

Nothing is ever really that difficult but i would say the hardest part would be the front panel connectors.   :)

Either that, or spending 4 hours cable managing everything down to a fine art so that the back panel slides on like butter.

Back panel sliding on like butter? Surely you must be joking? Mine is basically sprung loaded, you remove the thumb screws and it just pops itself back on. I need help from someone else to slide it back on afterwards...

The hardest thing for me was to install the Hyper 212 Evo cooler, everything else was as easy as 1 2 3, although, I had some problems with cable management.

My hyper 212 EVO took about 40 minutes to install even with help xD So damn fiddly.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

Not the hardest, but most frustrating.

Forgetting I/O Shield until the very end.
Forgetting motherboard standoff(s). - DANGEROUS!
Planning for fans and radiators... even if you think you got it right... it's a good chance you didn't.

Not done this before myself, but I imagine hard tube liquid cooling.

add in eating every day (mostly fast food because of my 6p to 4a shifts) gas, $15 for vape liquid, I think my phone bill was due that week too ($45) as well as netflix and my adobe creative cloud subscription. 

Phone bill is US or whatever place you live in is fucking huge.

My phone bill is 8€ (9$) flat for 5GB data (technically unlimited, but throttled to 120kb/s after data is used), 1000 minutes call time (excess is 0.03€/minute), 100 SMS (excess 0.01€/message)

I even have a 24 month phone payment plan (400€) and don't even come close to yours when including that.

Phone bill is US or whatever place you live in is fucking huge.

My phone bill is 8€ (9$) flat for 5GB data (technically unlimited, but throttled to 120kb/s after data is used), 1000 minutes call time (excess is 0.03€/minute), 100 SMS (excess 0.01€/message)

I even have a 24 month phone payment plan (400€) and don't even come close to yours when including that.

well I'm sorry that my phone bill is higher than yours? I've got a pretty cheap deal here LTE for $45 no contract is pretty respectable here 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

I would say either forgetting about the 8pin CPU plug after you put your cooler on, or cable management, it beats me how people do it so well.

My god my legit first build I did that. I had a huge quad cooler for my FX it must have covered the pins and I couldn't get it to post. I though I killed the system, ran down to my local tech shop with my wife. They all laughed when they found it, personally I was so relieved i didn't fry my first build ever... Feel free to laugh, I know I do :)

I think the hardest part about PC's in general, is getting the 24 pin PSU cable out of the motherboard.

I think the hardest part about PC's in general, is getting the 24 pin PSU cable out of the motherboard.

I thought I was going to break something the first time I had to do that. Or that I had already broken it and gotten it stuck :P 

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

Using a kraken g10 with a 280mm rad on my 290. That thing took so long to do because of the tiny area it had to fit into and still look nice.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

When you already finished your ultimate rig and then you realize that you forgot to connect the chassis fans and the connectors are between the cooler and the top of the box, then, you start crying because have to undo all you work for a one or two connectors. THANKS ASROCK

I was working in a sff (I think the case was Silverstone Sg13-b iirc). Anyways jamming the tubing for the AIO Liquid Cooler was a pain in the butt. Good thing the PSU was there to help push the tubes down :P 

My build: i5 3570k , Sabertooth Z77, Be quiet Dark Rock 2, Corsair vengeance 16 gb ram, Corsair RM 750, WD Black 1TB , ADATA 256 GB SSD, Asus 660ti DCUII, NZXT H440, Noctua NF-F12 & NF-A14.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

Paying for it.

Viewed on a per hour basis - where you divide the hours of employment required divided by the hour(s) spent putting it together - this becomes obvious.

Thankfully that figure is dwarfed by dividing hours used by hours of work (total)

Just interested in what people think is the hardest part of building a pc

Personally I think the the front panel connectors for the power led and power and reset buttons are the hardest because I have large fat hands :)

i agree front panel connectors

Just interested in what people think is the hardest part of building a pc

Personally I think the the front panel connectors for the power led and power and reset buttons are the hardest because I have large fat hands :)

most time consuming part is fitting the radiator when using an aio.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Hardest part for me is upgrading my Brains memory capacity. I am really forgetful so I'm gonna upgrade myself to having a 1TB

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Cleaning the thermal paste... Spilled a motherboard with paint thinner doing it on my first build! The motherbaord is still fine though xD

Core2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.00GHz ✦  8GB Corsair RAM ✦Asus P5G41Tm - Lx3 ✦ Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X ✦ WD Caviar Green 640 GB ✦ Seagate Barracuda 160GB ✦ Fractal Design Define R5 ✦ 1Life ps:jet 700W ✦  

Lenovo Y520 - GTX1050Ti - i77700k - 250GB Samsung M.2 NVME SSD  :D 

Cable management if you're like me and don't do it the first time around.

Also, lining up the screws on my cooler. The first time I tried to screw it down, I didn't even have the screws in the holes and had to start over.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

cable management 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

The hardest part for me was my dick definitely the funding of it ... which hasn't happened yet. Yay finance!

Remembering to pluug in the CPU power connectors. I can't believe the number of times I've done that and though I had bricked my PC.

Linus is my fetish.