hardest part of building a pc

JevCWatson

Just interested in what people think is the hardest part of building a pc

Personally I think the the front panel connectors for the power led and power and reset buttons are the hardest because I have large fat hands :)

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison

Installing your motherboard when you forget to take out the covers for the HDMI so it doesn't fit in... Nothing about building a PC is particularly hard if you have the knowledge. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Depends on the build really. If you're building in a really small case, then cable management can be a massive pain. If you're doing custom work, then that is often the hardest part. 

In general, I'd agree to front panel connectors being the easiest to mess up. 

For me it's installing the CPU (I get slightly shaky)

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

The hardest parts is hoping that Australia Post deliveries your item. 

Magical Pineapples

I would say either forgetting about the 8pin CPU plug after you put your cooler on, or cable management, it beats me how people do it so well.

Only Rig: CPU I7 6700K @ 4.7Ghz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P | GPU GTX 1080 TI Founders Edition With Hybrid Cooler Installed | RAM G.Skill NT Series 16GB DDR4 @ 2600Mhz | CPU Heatsink Corsair H100i V2 | SSD Kingston V300 Series 240GB | SSD Generic 120GB M.2| HDD Western Digital Blue 750GB (10 years old) | HDD Seagate Barracuda 500GB | HDD Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Corsair CSM 750W 80+ Gold | Case NZXT S340 Elite | Monitor BenQ XL2730Z 144Hz 1440P | KB Corsair K70 LUX | Mouse Logitech G402 | Headset  Logitech G933

the hardest part is mounting a bequiet cooler, if you got any other brand of cooler, the hardest part is probably getting your cables decent.

Yea, no matter how many builds I do I always struggle with the cooler

I think 1366 server mounting should be standardized, it's awesome. Back plate is pre installed and you simple screw in the cooler :D

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Depends on the build, if your hardline watercooling. Tube bending can be hard to get angles right and make look good. Other then that i would say cable managemen to get clean wire layouts.

But over all the hardest part of building a pc is waiting for them to arrive after youve bought them.

I'd say rear cable mangement. Every build I do I go in with the mind set of having nice tidy cable but it never happens. This problem was just amplified when I got the Air 540 and I could see that I could just bundle them in there.

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

The hardest part is being able to afford a build.

True true. 

Rig: CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.5 ghz | MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: 4x4 gigs Kingston Fury 1600 ddr3 | GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X PSU: Seasonic M12ii-620 Evo Edition | HDD: 1 TB WD, 500 GB WD | SSD: Kingston SSD now 240 and 120 GB CASE: In Win 303 RGB edition | Mouse: Corsair m65 pro | Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK | Headset: Hyper X Cloud Pro  | Monitor: LG 29um58-P Ultrawide monitor.

Hardest part for me was the compatibility issues. Thank God for PCPartPicker.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Hardest part for me is waiting for the parts to arrive, those 2-3 days were the longest 2-3 days of 2015. It used to be selecting parts but then I found LTT (which is the main reason I even built a gaming PC since I hadn't needed a desktop in years) so picking parts was easy.

-KuJoe

Convincing your parents that you need your thousand dollar PC for school.

I will agree with that one

Just because something doesn’t do what you planned it to do doesn’t mean it’s useless. – Thomas Edison

The freaking compatibility between cases, motherboards, and radiators/fans.

Especially when a friend has chosen parts x, y, and z for you to build his pc with and nothing fits in the case.

Those damn front panel connectors. Especially in a tiny case like mine when the GPU and PSU are already installed.

Definitely cable management. Or installing Windows and setting everything up, takes ages...

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM