hardest part of building a pc

JevCWatson

This isn't really part of building, but the drivers and installs are always a pain, especially if you don;t have a disk drive because then you have to go to another computer and download the drivers onto a USB stick so you can access the internet. I know Linus says to throw i=out the install disks that come with products, but none of the motherboards that I have purchased have come with Ethernet drivers, so I have had to install those using the disks

I had to do that except I couldn't find a usb drive so I had to plug my boot ssd into my old computer that I had to put back together and install it then put it back onto my new pc and hope I didn't break anything

fitting the CPU cooler I know kind of silly, also applying thermal paste. How much is too much!!! why me!!!

Motherboard: Asus Z97-Deluxe, Processor: Intel i7-4790K@4.3GHz@1.150Volts, GPU: Asus ROG GTX980 Matrix (with a NZXT G10 bracket and a nzxt x41 AIO liquid cooler), Ram: Kingston HyperX 32GB 1866MHz CL10, PSU: Corsair Hx1200i, Storage: 1TB Seagate SSHD with a Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB SSD, Display: BenQ XL2411Z, Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB, Mouse: Razer Deathadder chroma.  

pc part picker list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/hu0210/saved/#view=qHK6XL

For me it's installing the CPU (I get slightly shaky)

I got super stressed when trying to build my impulsive x99 system when I put the 5820k. I bought the parts on payday with my first full time check. 10 hours later it didn't post.. something was DOA and I took it back because it left me with $200 for the 2 following weeks. having money to live is preferable to having a beastly machine.

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

I got super stressed when trying to build my impulsive x99 system when I put the 5820k. I bought the parts on payday with my first full time check. 10 hours later it didn't post.. something was DOA and I took it back because it left me with $200 for the 2 following weeks. having money to live is preferable to having a beastly machine.

200$ for 2 weeks? Easy.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

200$ for 2 weeks? Easy.

add in eating every day (mostly fast food because of my 6p to 4a shifts) gas, $15 for vape liquid, I think my phone bill was due that week too ($45) as well as netflix and my adobe creative cloud subscription. 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

add in eating every day (mostly fast food because of my 6p to 4a shifts) gas, $15 for vape liquid, I think my phone bill was due that week too ($45) as well as netflix and my adobe creative cloud subscription. 

I live with 10% a day friend, You cannot scare me by by giving me double that amount :D

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I live with 10% a day friend, You cannot scare me by by giving me double that amount :D

haha well you do live in Bulgaria, at least I'd assume. I'm in the "good ol'e" U.S... 

That.....damn....IO plate for the MoBo

Installing the rear IO shield, and then trying to negotiate the motherboard into the IO holes without scraping it against the standoffs.

I can't be the only one that has problems with that, right?

i did that on my most recent build I spent about 30min on cable management then went to plug in my mouse and the io shield was siting on my desk

How does everyone struggle with the IO sheild so much? Took me like 30 seconds. Just pop it in, bend the pins then put the Motherboad on it's standoffs. Complete none issue.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

For it me was the CPU cooler this time.

Many other times I would have said connecting the front IO. But this time, the hardest time I had was with the CPU cooler.

---

Making component selections.

Either that, or spending 4 hours cable managing everything down to a fine art so that the back panel slides on like butter.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

the hardest part is mounting a bequiet cooler, if you got any other brand of cooler, the hardest part is probably getting your cables decent.

CM can be a bitch

the build is easy, the hard part is downloading all the applications and games I needed when I moved to Windows.. a couple hundred GB on a 10 down 2 up connection..

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

the hardest part is mounting a bequiet cooler, if you got any other brand of cooler, the hardest part is probably getting your cables decent.

I have a bequiet cooler going into my first build. Wish me luck!

My Build: Night Fury | i5-6600k @ 4.5Ghz | R9 390 | 850 EVO 250GB | 1TB Seagate | H230 Black

Night Theme User

Hello Fellow Night Theme User | Why Aren't You Using Night Theme?

I have a bequiet cooler going into my first build. Wish me luck!

i only had 5 cuts from installing my bequiet dark rock advanced C1.

good luck, bro.

i only had 5 cuts from installing my bequiet dark rock advanced C1.

good luck, bro.

:mellow:

My Build: Night Fury | i5-6600k @ 4.5Ghz | R9 390 | 850 EVO 250GB | 1TB Seagate | H230 Black

Night Theme User

Hello Fellow Night Theme User | Why Aren't You Using Night Theme?

Picking parts

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

I'd say cable management.

(But yeah, getting the money out of your pocket, to find out few weeks later the price dropped and some hot new stuff came out and your PC is outdated..)

、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``
、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽマッテェ(ノ;Д;)ノ `、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、
ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``

In my first build, I had trouble with a WiFi Card that's expansion port plate (idk the term for it so that's what I'm going to call it) was to long to fit in my case, so I had to use a Dremel tool to cut it to size xD.

Making component selections.

Either that, or spending 4 hours cable managing everything down to a fine art so that the back panel slides on like butter.

Lol my side panel used to bulge because my cable management was absolute trash

I'm waiting on the parts for my first build, so I cannot speak from experience yet.  But I have worries about my very staticy cat hiding in the room and then sticking her nose into something and zapping it while my back is turned.

Definitely trying to plug in the bloody 8pin mobo power. RIP my thumbs.

The CPU auxiliary 8 pin power leads.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Tweaking the overclock is tedious for me.

Laws only govern the honest.