Samsung ordered by US court to... do nothing.

Nowak

http://www.cnet.com/news/court-bans-sale-of-old-samsung-smartphones-you-cant-get-anymore-apple-patent/

Samsung has been ordered to stop selling a handful of older smartphones in the US that have already largely vanished from the market.

In the latest round of the Apple v. Samsung patent war, US District Judge Lucy Koh on Monday granted an Apple motion for permanent injunction against devices that use technology covered by patents Samsung was found to be infringing on. Those devices now banned from sale in the US include the Admire, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch, Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Galaxy S3, and Stratosphere.

Notice anything about those phones included in the injunction? The most recent flagship one is the Galaxy S3, which is not only from 2012 but also has already been succeeded three times, and Samsung themselves no longer produces or even sells all the phones included in the order. Ergo, Samsung has to do nothing. What does Judge Lucy Koh have to say about this?

"The court finds that Apple will suffer irreparable harm if Samsung continues to use its use of the infringing features, that monetary damages cannot adequately compensate Apple for this resulting irreparable harm, and that the balance of equities and public interest favor entry of a permanent injunction," Koh wrote in her filing.

Right. They'll suffer "irrepairable harm" from devices you can't buy new anymore. Samsung themselves said they're disappointed by the injunction, but also confirmed this will not affect consumers.

"While this will not impact American consumers, it is another example of Apple abusing the judicial system to create bad legal precedent which can harm consumer choice for generations to come," a Samsung spokesman said in a statement.

Again, this achieves nothing. Samsung have received support from other major tech companies, namely eBay, Facebook, Hewlett-Packard and Google, against Apple's suit.

Thoughts? Concerns? Rage? Post it below.

well this just means well see more of this since they won.

New: PCPartPicker part list

Old:Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L, 4 GB Elixir PC3 ddr3-1333,  ASUS RADEON R7 260X, Thermaltake M9, 1TB HDD, GreatWall GW550SEL 550 WATT, BENQ GW2255, Hyper T4, Samson SR950 Headphones, fiio ek10.

i have a moto G, the only thing i liked about apple were earpods, and the only thing i liked about samsung were their laptops.

and now apple is screwing with the audio jack, and samsung quit making laptops... i guess i can honestly say i dont want either one of them.

Apple is the big boys with billions on their back and an ecosystem that sucks people in for life so im not surprised by a company that drm locks content from being displayed on certain outputs on a computer.

Apple is the big boys with billions on their back and an ecosystem that sucks people in for life so im not surprised by a company that drm locks content from being displayed on certain outputs on a computer.

If you're talking about HDCP, that's Intel's doing.

Shouldn't the nexus be excluded...it's a Google device and it's not related to what touch wiz has on other galaxy devices.

Wasn't the lawsuit about touch to unlock thing or word recommendations...

Shouldn't the nexus be excluded...it's a Google device and it's not related to what touch wiz has on other galaxy devices.

Wasn't the lawsuit about touch to unlock thing or word recommendations...

Rounded corners, too. Because Apple actually has a design patent on a rectangle with rounded corners. I am not making that shit up, I am sad that I lack the talent to make that shit up.

If you're talking about HDCP, that's Intel's doing.

but isnt that only an osx thing i dont believe ive ever seen that on a windows platform? either way samsung is only going to get headlines like JUDGE ORDERS SAMSUNG TO STOP SALES OF PATENT INFRINGING DEVICES or other stupid attention grabbers.

but isnt that only an osx thing i dont believe ive ever seen that on a windows platform? either way samsung is only going to get headlines like JUDGE ORDERS SAMSUNG TO STOP SALES OF PATENT INFRINGING DEVICES or other stupid attention grabbers.

It's a thing on all DisplayPort, DVI and HDMI connections. Doesn't matter what OS or even device it is, it's there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection

Rounded corners, too. Because Apple actually has a design patent on a rectangle with rounded corners. I am not making that shit up, I am sad that I lack the talent to make that shit up.

Just seeing how the Nexus is included with the list is weird, shouldn't really be on the list in the first place. Just stock Google software with Samsung hardware.

But at least Samsung isn't as "stupid" what Apple is, my iPhone 4S/iPod Touch 5G is the last thing iOS device that i would own.

Fine with my Note 5 though...if Apple tries to sue Samsung for current gen products....well....

Just seeing how the Nexus is included with the list is weird, shouldn't really be on the list in the first place. Just stock Google software with Samsung hardware.

But at least Samsung isn't as "stupid" what Apple is, my iPhone 4S/iPod Touch 5G is the last thing iOS device that i would own.

Fine with my Note 5 though...if Apple tries to sue Samsung for current gen products....well....

Samsung is basically trying to be the Korean Apple as far as consumer electronics goes. At least they understand how ridiculous this injunction is, though.

i like tech, i dont want them to stop making them, let them all do their thing, i dont apple to stop Samsung to do their thing which supposedly they copied for obnoxious patents, if that was the case, we wouldn't have S1/S2 and its successor to it. idc who makes them as long as they are making em.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

They still sell plenty of S3s up here, but I think that's it from that list lol.  The s3 is the $200 outright or $0 pay as you go phone here. So I'm sure they sell a lot to poor people and teenagers.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

wow.... All those ~6 variants of s2's just go to show how horrible samsung is at streamlining their product stack.

But OT: this patent war is stupid, and the patent system really, really needs to be overhauled. We keep hearing dtories of basic shapes, sliders, and veeery basic inputs, all being patented and sued over, even when they had many a precedent, or are completely unused like that guy who sued purget (correct?) for the oil cooling case.

- snip-

Apple is the big boys with billions

Apple is just a fraction in comparison to Samsung :)

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

They still sell plenty of S3s up here, but I think that's it from that list lol.  The s3 is the $200 outright or $0 pay as you go phone here. So I'm sure they sell a lot to poor people and teenagers.

thats not Samsung thats probably 3rd parties who still have stock 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

That's like suing someone for having a black metal box similar to your black metal box. The hell.

maybe Samsung should ask to Obama to veto that decision, although that probably only works for Apple

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

"Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch" sound like some cheap Chinese crap :P.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

Apple is just a fraction in comparison to Samsung :)

Not in net worth. Apple is the most valuable public company by a large margin. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Apple is not the most valuable public company, it has the largest market cap of just over 700 billion US $ and that makes Apple the largest public company but not the most valuable. Apples assets are 262 billion US $. Apple is the most valuable brand in the world though. 

However, the most valuable company in the world is ICBC or Industrial and Commercial Bank of China with it's assets worth 3.3 TRILLION US $ and Apple is on 12th place.

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

The only thing on that list even remotely being close to relevant is the S3, the court system is so slow that it becomes useless with new tech.