HD-Fury sued by Warner Brothers

LadyOfGifts

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/01/warner-bros-sues-hd-fury-over-boxes-that-can-copy-4k-video/

Warner Brothers has launched a lawsuit against HD-Fury over a device that can copy 4K video.

The lawsuit claims that this device violates the DMCA, to quote the article:

The complaint quotes the HD Fury website, which states: "To the letter of the law (the DMCA that is), a black box that removes the HDCP encryption to allow you to use a monitor that does not support HDCP is illegal.

I'm actually in agreement with WB, I see no real use for this besides piracy, and from what I've read so far it does seem to actually violate the DMCA. I'm curious however to find out what everyone else thinks about this.

(As of writing this HD-Fury's website is down.)

Edited by Godlygamer23
Put article quote in official forum quote.

You may want adjust your post to meet the posting requirements before this thread gets locked by a mod.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11724-read-before-posting-in-this-section/

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

what is hd fury?

It's like a box that allows you to send HDCP protected content to non-HDCP compliant devices. So you could run your TV box through a PC with a capture card to record the TV show, movie or sports match and then either live-stream or distribute it online post-broadcast.

A legal use case would to be able to archive the footage and watch it on your own devices.

However, the DMCA bans the removal of DRM or encryption to circumvent copy-protection, and that is legal reason that Warner Bros is suing.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

It's like a box that allows you to send HDCP protected content to non-HDCP compliant devices. So you could run your TV box through a PC with a capture card to record the TV show, movie or sports match and then either live-stream or distribute it online post-broadcast.

A legal use case would to be able to archive the footage and watch it on your own devices.

However, the DMCA bans the removal of DRM or encryption to circumvent copy-protection, and that is legal reason that Warner Bros is suing.

Best buy them up before they are pulled from the shelf!

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Didn't hauppage also have something like this?

I understand where they are going with it but...what does DMCA have to do with it?

Getting rid of DRM is something that the DMCA covers? And it's illegal?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I understand where they are going with it but...what does DMCA have to do with it?

The DMCA bans the removal of DRM or encryption to circumvent copy-protection

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

HDCP protection is dumb :|

I use a HDMI extender since my Roku doesn't get a good enough signal where it's at. But since I use that some Netflix content won't stream, like courage the cowardly dog >:C

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I'm actually in agreement with WB, I see no real use for this besides piracy, and from what I've read so far it does seem to actually violate the DMCA. I'm curious however to find out what everyone else thinks about this.

I can see multiple legitimate uses for this. What if I want to use my blu-ray on an old crt? Do I have to buy a separate copy of the movie? And don't tell me I shouldn't buy a 4k bluray for a crt, because I might have a 4k screen and need to play it on a crt somewhere else. Even a modern screen won't play a blu ray if it has a vga or composite cable, and I may not want to buy a new cable specifically for watching a movie I bought.

What about backing up your movie, so if the disc dies you don't have to drop another 30 bucks on a movie you already own? What about having a digital copy that you can carry with you in a hard drive instead of needing to bring a reader and a disc around with you everywhere? What if you want to add subtitles to it?

Maybe this does break the DMCA, but the fact stands that the DMCA and HDCP are complete and utter bullshit. There are plenty of ways a pirate can rip a blu ray through software, no need of custom hardware or anything. Hell, I can rip one of my blu rays for the legitimate uses I listed above in less than 20 minutes through a wonderful piece of software called anydvd hd by slysoft. They even sell a dedicated bd ripper and cloner. If I wanted to upload one of those backups it would take me no time. All the DMCA does is provide a worse experience for those who paid for the movie compared to pirates.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The DMCA bans the removal of DRM or encryption to circumvent copy-protection

Oh well...it's kinda bad for a few reasons. After looking online , I've found a few cases in which it was used against cryptoanalists , even professors . Heck , one Russian guy made a software program that allowed him to strip usage restriction from restricted eBooks, which is legal both in Russia and in the US. Ironically , it is illegal to provide such a tool in the US , and when the programmer came to a presentation there , he got arrested for a month. That's a little bs. It's illegal to provide a tool which can be used only for legal means? Kinda contradictory .

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Basically it's kind of a similar case of ISO's. It's not inherently illegal to burn an ISO from a disc to use for yourself, but it can also be used for piracy. However in this case removing HDCP, a form of DRM, is in fact made illegal by DMCA.

All the DMCA does is provide a worse experience for those who paid for the movie compared to pirates.

Just like pretty much all DRM.

Basically it's kind of a similar case of ISO's. It's not inherently illegal to burn an ISO from a disc to use for yourself, but it can also be used for piracy. However in this case removing HDCP, a form of DRM, is in fact made illegal by DMCA.

From what I understand, you can rip yourself an ISO for personal use by copying the data as-is, but you can't (legally) remove the copy protection itself from the content.

Just like pretty much all DRM.

Well, some things do have benefits - steam for example. But the vast majority is garbage.

-edit-

by the way, technically speaking this isn't "removing" anything from the disc as it is read only... maybe that's a loophole they could exploit?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well, some things do have benefits - steam for example. But the vast majority is garbage.

If you get a steam ban though, you lose access to your (possibly hundreds of euro) library.

If you get a steam ban though, you lose access to your (possibly hundreds of euro) library.

Yep, it has disadvantages too :P but then again it's not that easy to get banned

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

-edit-

by the way, technically speaking this isn't "removing" anything from the disc as it is read only... maybe that's a loophole they could exploit?

If the content becomes playble by non-HDCP devices, then you committed an offense under the DMCA.

I can see the uses of this, but I can see why they're being sued (other than because it's 'MERICA). 

On the other hand, HDCP is dumb. I bought a movie from iTunes store and it won't play on my rMBP because it's not compliant - That's legitimately what the error says. I'm hoping it's a glitch somewhere. 

Damn, we got one of the Integrals for HDMI capture testing at my work, the thing is awesome, and if it was a little cheaper I would buy one myself.

I can't watch my 10 year old Star Wars collection DVDs on my PC without installing anti piracy software from each DVD. The DMCA is a fucking joke and so is the MPAA. The monitor or any other hardware that a person wants to view their content from has absolutely no relation to piracy.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

'MURICAn things

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

And to think that Any Video Converter gets through all of the DRM....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

HDCP protection is dumb :|

I use a HDMI extender since my Roku doesn't get a good enough signal where it's at. But since I use that some Netflix content won't stream, like courage the cowardly dog >:C

you can get fibre optic hdmi cables, they are expensive though

Can't you already do this with a simple capture card?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs