Star Citizen: From Pupil to Planet - PG demonstration

Hawx

From today's livestream. Some impressive shit.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

Tyler? On a phone with no wifi

EDIT- TL;DR,* iPhone is shit at words

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

(possibly) weirdly enough, Star Citizen is becoming less and less impressive to me because games like Elite: Dangerous, and Space Engineers are starting to beat it to the punch, in game-play aspects especially.

Currently, Star Citizen only has the visuals (in fact that seems to have been the focal point, like E:D in raw scale (meanwhile the visuals aren't to be scoffed at), and SE in construction and destruction)

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

ITS A WET DREAM OF ORGASMIC PROPORTIONS

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

(possibly) weirdly enough, Star Citizen is becoming less and less impressive to me because games like Elite: Dangerous, and Space Engineers are starting to beat it to the punch, in game-play aspects especially.

Currently, Star Citizen only has the visuals (in fact that seems to have been the focal point, like E:D in raw scale (meanwhile the visuals aren't to be scoffed at), and SE in construction and destruction)

In terms of functionality and possible depth of gameplay the other options are still lacking. Stuff like multicrew/FPS/Ships are done in a lot more detail compared to Elite's "mile wide and inch deep" features (along with the fact they're in the base game not a paid expansion). The single player campaign is deffos a standout point, as no other big name space game has one.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

a friend showed me this just now, and troughout watching it i was mixed between "wow" and:

"why the FUCK can these guys achieve this if electronic farts has to put a bajillion loading screens in sims 4..."

Mother of God...

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

I can understand E:D but not SE, god lord that game needs bug fixes and whatnot. 

The planets are just giant Asteroids really, and they need more work, i cant even cut down a tree! Its still a nice touch but damn they need to fix bugs and glitches for the planets, not to mention performance. 

The gameplay are both completely different! Elite feels barron to me and tbh I didn't enjoy SE enough to have an honest review, fed up with grind to create games.

Also saying that a game is less interesting because someone else did it first seems like a stupid point. Don't get me wrong, I'm fed up with waiting but yet I'm meeting up with the same people almost daily to play it and enjoying every second of it.

Getting to watch a game change almost daily, some of the voice acting in the game already and the scale of going from a bed to spaceship without it feeling like a game still boggles my mind.

So if the planet is procedural does that mean that the next person who approaches it will not see the exact same terrain? Placement of mountains etc will be different I guess although same theme.

a friend showed me this just now, and troughout watching it i was mixed between "wow" and:

"why the FUCK can these guys achieve this if electronic farts has to put a bajillion loading screens in sims 4..."

They showed actual gameplay of taking of from a space station flying through space and seamlessly landing on a planet.

The only problem is the planet's atmosphere is too shallow (maybe because planet is small). Hopefully they can address that.

So if the planet is procedural does that mean that the next person who approaches it will not see the exact same terrain? Placement of mountains etc will be different I guess although same theme.

They showed actual gameplay of taking of from a space station flying through space and seamlessly landing on a planet.

The only problem is the planet's atmosphere is too shallow (maybe because planet is small). Hopefully they can address that.

No, planets will use a preset seed so the planet will generate the same terrain every time, similar to the seed system in Minecraft.

The planet was actually a large asteroid they're intending to use for an upcoming planetary zone. They basically just threw the atmosphere tech on top since they wanted a visual demo of it and the asteroid is what they were working with. It's not close to being final.

No, planets will use a preset seed so the planet will generate the same terrain every time, similar to the seed system in Minecraft.

Ok; then why does it need to be procedurally generated?

If it's the same every time. Why can't they just stream it in into memory when required? Is it to avoid having to keep it compiled and stored on the local drive?

Just trying to understand (don't play minecraft).

If it's the same every time. Why can't they just stream it in into memory when required? Is it to avoid having to keep it compiled and stored on the local drive?

Just trying to understand (don't play minecraft).

I would guess it's because of the file size, the game is estimated to be 100gb in the rough state, so anything you can reduce off of that ;)

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

It needs to be PG'd since creating a 12,000KM diameter planet (aka earth) by hand would take a very, very long time, let alone spread across a few dozen planets. High quality PG can create some great results and cut down on development time quite a bit. They're using the same PG tech for asteroids/space stations too. 

As they said in the video, they can't save the entire planet since it'd take up too much memory. PG allows for generation of the planet on the fly without any storage requirements.

Epic, Awesome.

That's all I can say.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER