PS4 Fully Jailbroken

Shepanator

Ps4 has now been properly jailbroken using a freebsd kernel exploit, but only on a very old firmware revision. Expect a game of cat and mouse to begin with sony constantly updating every time a new jailbreak comes out.

http://m.slashdot.org/story/304029

Besides posting "an open source PlayStation 4 SDK" on GitHub, CTurt analyzed PS4's security twice and explained PS4 hacking. CTurt updated the open source PS4 SDK yesterday; he previously explained that Sony's proprietary Orbis OS is based on FREEBSD. In the past he released the PS4-playground, which included PS4 tools and experiments using the Webkit exploit for PS4 firmware version 1.76. To put that in context, Sony released version 3.0 in September. However, CTurt claimed the hack could be made to work on newer firmware versions.

@Shepanator What does this mean? They can cheat in games? Also, cool. 

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Means free games :D

oh, haha. Nice, considering PS4 games are over priced (imo). 

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

@Shepanator What does this mean? They can cheat in games? Also, cool.

Well at the moment it only works on an old firmware revision, and it's pretty difficult to downgrade the firmware. On some ps3 models downgrading the firmware involved soldering things onto the motherboard.

The jailbreak should start bringing homebrew apps like the ability to install your games fully to the hdd and even pirate games

Huh, so people can back games up now. Shame that they are so large that not many of them fit on the 1 HDD....unlike Original Xbox games which have 50 fitting on a 160GB HDD.......

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Cool! Now a PS4 has more to it. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I remember the cat and mouse game that was the PSP. That thing was hacked to oblivion I didn't know a single person who didn't have a hacked PSP, especially during the PSP2000-3000 era because it was so damn easy.

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690k @4.2Ghz w/ Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti | Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PSU: Seasonic G750 80+ Gold | Storage: Samsung 840 250GB, Sandisk Ultra II 960gb, WD Green 4TB, Samsung EcoGreen 2TB

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4670k @4 Ghz w/ Corsair H80i | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W PSU 80+ Bronze | Storage: Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD

Means free games :D

You mean it will allow people to steal games ?

If you think games are overpriced buy them used or not at all.

Jailbreaks PS4, Installs Linux, Installs steam, profit.

Well ehhh, considering the hardware is considerably less powerful than a similarly priced PC I wouldn't exactly call it profit.

Wait can a proprietary OS be based on an open-source one? Doesn't the licensing require that the "fork" is also open-source, or am I missing something?

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Wait can a proprietary OS be based on an open-source one? Doesn't the licensing require that the "fork" is also open-source, or am I missing something?

freebsd has a license of it's own (the freebsd license), and doesn't include the copyleft. You can release the source code if you want but your not forced to do it (unlike the gnu/gpl)

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

so a 200$ pc that your grandparents have?

depends... if you need the form factor but aren't fond of the restrictions it kind of makes sense, it's not more expensive than a mini-itx pc of similar power, if it did everything the pc does it wouldn't be terrible value.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Ps4 has now been properly jailbroken using a freebsd kernel exploit, but only on a very old firmware revision. Expect a game of cat and mouse to begin with sony constantly updating every time a new jailbreak comes out.

http://m.slashdot.org/story/304029

Where's the opinion?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Mate did I say they were overpriced? That was @Bittenfleax. Please Learn your facts before typing here. 

And also it's fine for people to get games for free, it's their risk and it in no ways damages the industry as said countless times before me (It's also an awesome way to test games before buying them).

Coming from a guy with over 400 games, that's it...

Might add this later...

too soon if i was that guy i would wait a year before the ps5 is released

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

used game give just as much money to devs as piracy. used games only put money into gamestops pockets.

freebsd has a license of it's own (the freebsd license), and doesn't include the copyleft. You can release the source code if you want but your not forced to do it (unlike the gnu/gpl)

Oh that's why. Now it makes sense :D

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

used game give just as much money to devs as piracy. used games only put money into gamestops pockets.

That's the modern excuse for stealing content these days is it?