Google Releases their first in-house Designed and Manufactured Tablet: The Google Pixel C

kwongger

Yesterday, Google released their first in-house designed and manufactured tablet, the Google Pixel C.   

Source Link: https://googleblog.blogspot.com/2015/12/meet-pixel-c-our-take-on-tablet.html

Buy it herehttps://store.google.com/product/pixel_c

Rather than release yet another Nexus device, usually budget devices that are manufactured by OEM's  like LG, HTC, etc, Google opted to design a premium device, and it is certainly priced that way, at $499 USD for the 32gb Variant and $599 for the 64gb variant.  Both variants are WiFi only, with no word on a LTE Variant.   The device ships with Android 6.0 Marshmallow

The Tablet is equipped with a 1.414:1 Aspect ratio, 10.2" Screen with a resolution of 2560x1800.  Under the hood, the tablet boasts an NVIDIA X1 SoC (HOLY SH*T), so it's fair to say now that the tab's hardware is equipped to handle about anything Android can throw at it.  The NVIDIA Tegra X1 is an 8 core (four 1.9 GHz Cortex-A57 cores and four Cortex-A53 cores with a Maxwell GPU).   The tab also boasts 3gb of RAM. 

In typical Google fashion, there is no expandable storage.  The Tablet does feature USB 3.1 type-C though.   The only physical features on the tab other than the aluminium body are the aforementioned USB Type-C port, a 3.5mm Headphone jack, and 4 LED's on the back activated by a double tap.  It displays the 4 Google Colors when on, and when tapped when the tab is off, display Battery levels.  

There are two optional keyboard attachments.  A Magnetic keyboard, and a keyboard cover.  

https://store.google.com/product/pixel_c_keyboard

https://store.google.com/product/pixel_c_folio_keyboard

Personal Opinion:

Wow!  I'd much rather buy a top-tier Android device than a budget Windows one.   This should be sufficient for note-taking in lectures and other tablet usage.  I'll be ordering one for sure!

hero-pixel-c.png

Way more than i'm willing to spend on a tablet, but i'm sure there is a market out there for it. I picked up a cheap Asus Memo Pad a couple months back and it suits my needs just fine (clash of clans with family and twitch streaming).

The first reviews don't seem to be positive about it. Hardware is good. Software is horrid. This piece of kit is running Android instead of Chrome OS. Chrome OS isn't that amazing but its better suited for a device like this. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

This product is further justification that Microsoft had it right with the Surface line since day 1...and the Pixel C and iPad Pro offer no innovation on the concept and in most areas regress compared to the surface line. For the price of the Pixel you might as well get a Surface 3, enjoy more storage, better keyboard, a stylus, a trackpad and the ability to actually multitask.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

And once again, the biggest problem is not hardware, but software.

Now I just need to wait for someone to port remixOS (if not, there's always Debian xD) and see how that performs in this tablet

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Again we are still charging 100 usd for and additional 32gb memory. You know what Google? FUCK YOU.

Haha I know right? oooor 128GB microSD for $55-65 on sale.

Oh wait, a lot of the big players are removing microSD. Gee I wonder why.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

What is with the aspect ratio?

square root of 2

Google is scrapping Chrome OS afaik.

If they put Windows on this thing it would be a more compelling buy.

why not just buy surface 3, better OS and hardware is basically the same. Keyboard is cheaper, has great stylus.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Way more than i'm willing to spend on a tablet, but i'm sure there is a market out there for it. I picked up a cheap Asus Memo Pad a couple months back and it suits my needs just fine (clash of clans with family and twitch streaming).

I see the avatar first, then begin reading your message in Scruffy's voice/cadence.

500 bucks? No thanks. I paid 400 for my lenovo x220, and the only downside is the lower screen resolution with everything else being better than this tablet.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I know but it just looks so weird. 

it's between 16:10 and 3:2. Not that weird. 2.828:2

500 bucks? No thanks. I paid 400 for my lenovo x220, and the only downside is the lower screen resolution with everything else being better than this tablet.

surface 3 is plain better than this.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

What is with the aspect ratio?

the idea is to resemble a sheet of paper for better productivity tasks, but given how android on tablets is the phone version just expanded, its very barebones for it, especially with the lacks of multitasking you have to switch apps constantly, which ends up in a terrible experience that defeats the purpose of the design itself because you end up opening and closing apps more that you would use them

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

The cpu is pretty disappointing, but I guess that's no surprise since nVidia isn't known for making cpus.

Tablet-Benchmark.001.png

Tablet-Benchmark.002.png

It's also a pity that last year's Nexus 9 scores higher in single threaded performance. 

Who the hell would buy this over the Surface 3 or similar? 

well its cheaper

Google is scrapping Chrome OS afaik.

If they put Windows on this thing it would be a more compelling buy.

EDIT: Also https://twitter.com/RonAmadeo/status/674298289374814209

They arent scrapping Chrome OS, they've promised updates for at least 5 years

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/30/9641952/google-chrome-os-not-dead-hiroshi-lockheimer

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

They arent scrapping Chrome OS, they've promised updates for at least 5 years

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/30/9641952/google-chrome-os-not-dead-hiroshi-lockheimer

I didn't say they weren't going to support it for the devices that already have it, but I'm saying they're replacing it with just Android. You can do the same thing you did to find that article to find another article that backs up my claim.

Neither of us are wrong.

I didn't say they weren't going to support it for the devices that already have it, but I'm saying they're replacing it with just Android. You can do the same thing you did to find that article to find another article that backs up my claim.

Neither of us are wrong.

They are not replacing it with android, more merging Chrome OS and Android. 

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/29/9639950/google-combining-android-chromeos-report

Hmmm a 'productivity device' with 3 GB of RAM and software who only allows to see one app at a time for $650 ... I'll pass

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?