Dating & Religion, I never thought...

EthanTheFrogMan

So ill start this off by saying I am less than 16 years old, and I identify myself as a Jewish Atheist, who is a realist. (just my personal feelings, not looking for a debate here). A friend of mine recently posted on Facebook "it seems impossible to find a guy who loves God as much as I do." This got me thinking, two of my other friends broke up because the guy "needed to focus more on God", taking this in context, he is a Christian, who plays video games a good chunk of his free time, and this was a girl he really liked, he does always say "The first thing I look for in a girl is if she believes in God."

I never thought believing in God would be such a limiting factor in finding a relationship, is this just a smokescreen for an excuse not to date somebody? Does this occur later in life, or is this a purely High School thing?

I would like to see what you guys think about this, and please, no arguments, just a civilized conversation.

Seems like you're limiting yourself if you only look for people with the same views as you, sure it would be nice to have similiar views but looking for someone who believes in god first seems a little excessive. In my experience anyway, I think there is quite a high proportion of agnostic/atheist people when it comes to later life, perhaps that just depends on the area in which you live in. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I understand, it's because you want someone that you can go to church with or can share your religious experience with rather than someone who will make you drift apart from God over time.

It's one of the things the church encourages you to do: get a Christian spouse and you can indoctrinate each other and give your money to them.

it isn't. I couldn't give a toss what religion you are. I don't judge people based on religion. That would be very stupid imho. It just isn't right, natural and normal.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

When I'm looking for a girl, I look for a Christian one. I'm Christian, so it makes sense. Because (from experience) dating somebody in a different religion/no religion doesn't work out very well.

It's mostly if you believe in something, you want to date somebody that believes the same. If I were Buddhist, I'd probably want to marry somebody Buddhist. It's not just for Christianity where this applies.

It's one of the things the church encourages you to do: get a Christian spouse and you can indoctrinate each other and give your money to them.

^^^ ignorance in a nutshell, that's really not why. It's a preference thing, and it happens with every religion. Humans usually want to date somebody with the same interests as themselves.

I used to be quite active here.

So ill start this off by saying I am 15, and I identify myself as a Jewish Atheist, who is a realist. (just my personal feelings, not looking for a debate here). A friend of mine recently posted on Facebook "it seems impossible to find a guy who loves God as much as I do." This got me thinking, two of my other friends broke up because the guy "needed to focus more on God", taking this in context, he is a Christian, who plays video games a good chunk of his free time, and this was a girl he really liked, he does always say "The first thing I look for in a girl is if she believes in God."

I never thought believing in God would be such a limiting factor in finding a relationship, is this just a smokescreen for an excuse not to date somebody? Does this occur later in life, or is this a purely High School thing?

I would like to see what you guys think about this, and please, no arguments, just a civilized conversation.

They just want someone who cares about the same things they do, to have the same values and beliefs.  Nothing wrong with that.  Especially when it comes with abusive spouses, whether it's the husband or wife.  I've lived through it as a kid.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I understand, it's because you want someone that you can go to church with or can share your religious experience with rather than someone who will make you drift apart from God over time.

yeah

Seems like you're limiting yourself if you only look for people with the same views as you, sure it would be nice to have similiar views but looking for someone who believes in god first seems a little excessive. In my experience anyway, I think there is quite a high proportion of agnostic/atheist people when it comes to later life, perhaps that just depends on the area in which you live in. 

Considering the fact that we live in the sixth least godly country in the world, I thing that agnosticism is pretty much universal.

In all honestly at the age of 15 you dont think in a mature way, we all make silly decisions, once he has matured he will have a better perspective of everything, one thing i think all religious people should do though is educate themselves on the major religions out there, once they see how similar they are or come across Hinduism aka the loop hole religion then their judgement(if rational) will change. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

They just want someone who cares about the same things they do, to have the same values and beliefs.  Nothing wrong with that.

Yeah, true, but at the same time would you turn down someone who was great for you in every other aspect, but just not the same beliefs?

I'm an Agnostic Atheist, I've dated plenty of Christian girls.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Some touchy stuff here. Keep it peaceful people.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Yeah, true, but at the same time would you turn down someone who was great for you in every other aspect, but just not the same beliefs?

Yes, cos as my updated post says, I've lived through what a different faith/no faith/atheist parent is capable of when they do not believe nor fear or respect a higher power.

I think the issue is, though, that she broke up with him because he wasn't a strong enough Christian. He was a Christian, so it's safe to assume their beliefs matched up; but I guess he was too liberal in his faith

I'm pretty liberal in my faith, but there are limits I respect as a Christian and if I truly believe that my partner will eventually come to my side, I will proceed.  I do believe in Heaven and Hell, so the though of not seeing my gf/wife in the afterlife pushes me to look for a more suitable partner, or at least one open to the idea.

How has it worked out, have their been issues? I guess in certain religions it is easier to only date people who have the same beliefs you do, but for example, in my school of three hundred students, there is not one Jewish Atheist that I know of, although I do not look at that as a necessary factor.

that's literally the most contradictory thing I've ever read. You are either agnostic or you are atheist. You can never be both

I think the issue is, though, that she broke up with him because he wasn't a strong enough Christian. He was a Christian, so it's safe to assume their beliefs matched up; but I guess he was too liberal in his faith

Just saying, being liberal does not mean one is not a Christian. There is no link between conservatism and faith.

How has it worked out, have their been issues? I guess in certain religions it is easier to only date people who have the same beliefs you do, but for example, in my school of three hundred students, there is not one Jewish Atheist that I know of, although I do not look at that as a necessary factor.

i would suppose it depends on the person rather than the religion and someone can be easily be ethically jewish but not religiously 

Same coming from a Hindu, the issue is going further then that generally, its more of a fear factor and particularly in Hinduism is a sheer density of disinformation. I think thats down to people not wanting to ruin their image whether thats for the people around them or for a higher being. 

Some touchy stuff here. Keep it peaceful people.

well this is what happens every time. normally i just report a thread like this because it turns into a warzone, seems a little more calm today though. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

i would suppose it depends on the person rather than the religion 

I definitely agree with this statement, not that there is anything wrong with looking closely at a persons religion, Since I guess if you think about it, people look for common interests all the time, although I would not rank that as #1 for me.

Same coming from a Hindu, the issue is going further then that generally, its more of a fear factor and particularly in Hinduism is a sheer density of disinformation. I think thats down to people not wanting to ruin their image whether thats for the people around them or for a higher being. 

well this is what happens every time. normally i just report a thread like this because it turns into a warzone, seems a little more calm today though. 

yes, I just think it is an interesting topic, especially from people who don't regularly frequent forums dedicated to this.

also even though they are both christians they can have pretty drastic differences in their beliefs for example jehovah's witnesses believe that only 144,000 people will go to heaven and satan is on earth controlling governments and the FLDS church believes that what level of heaven you will go to depends on how many wives you have but the LDS church got rid of that

Religion should never be a wall to your woman and vice versa. If it is, this is that person being a bad person. Closed minded.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

Religion should never be a wall to your woman and vice versa. If it is, this is that person being a bad person. Closed minded.

im not quite sure about this. if you treat people who are not part of your religion badly then i would agree that is being closed minded but if you just want the person you marry to share your beliefs then i think its fine

And calling their life choices making them a bad person is also close minded.