Dating & Religion, I never thought...

EthanTheFrogMan

If you're religious and you value more the religion a person has than the person itself, you're a little bit less human and more of a sort of slave owned by something/someone else.

Religion shouldn't have a high priority on anyone's life, that shows how little you care for a person as a human.

Sure, they can believe anything they want, but that doesn't mean you can't have a good relationship with someone from a different religion or no religion.

If anything, religion is something that separates us as humans, some people hold religion above being human, and that makes me sick.

In other words, youre letting an imaginary thing control you, which Ive been taught is a pretty bad way to live.

Same concept as letting your thoughts get the worst of you.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

In other words, youre letting an imaginary thing control you, which Ive been taught is a pretty bad way to live.

Same concept as letting your thoughts get the worst of you.

For us as Atheists it is imaginary, but I accept that it is not imaginary to some people, and that it is more than that to them.

For us as Atheists it is imaginary, but I accept that it is not imaginary to some people, and that it is more than that to them.

Bleh

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

@EthanTheFrogMan I'm an old guy compared to you, but the belief or disbelief in a god doesn't seem to be something that goes away in terms of adults looking for potential mates/partners in my experience. I'm an atheist and to be honest, I don't want to date some one that believes in a god. The reason would sound condescending at first glance to any believers so I won't include it, but that's my answer to a question in your original post. 

To me, religion is not a set of rules that should govern lives but rather a medium to happiness for the people who believe in it. It's a source of fulfilment. So people believe it and feel fulfilled if they want or don't believe it and don't really care for it. If it fulfils them to be with somebody with a similar view, as long as they aren't harming anybody, it should be their right. 

System: Thinkpad T460

And those moral differences come (directly or indirectly) from religion, so yeah, you're still holding religion above a person.

What's wrong with marrying an atheist, a Muslim, a Buddhist?, do you judge them by their religion or lack of it?

Do you find any threats in any other religion? or in atheism?

So you're saying that you should ignore religion? Or the things that come with it?

Answer this: Would you date/marry somebody that believes if a husband doesn't love his wife or kids anymore, he should be allowed to beat them to death? That's what ISIS thinks, and they're driven by religion (Islam, in fact.) THAT's what I mean by morals and values.

I used to be quite active here.

so you are just an atheist that can't prove god doesn't exist like all other atheists...

Are you daft? Can you prove God exists? I mean hard proof, not "Well someone had to make something so complex." 

Besides you can't disprove a negative. Prove to me that unicorns don't exist. You can't. 

Calling myself an Agnostic Atheist means I respect others beliefs.

Edited by Godlygamer23
Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

denomination?

what sect of christianity are they for example there are Methodists, Lutherans, jehovah's witnesses, mormons

Jewish atheist? What now?

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Are you daft? Can you prove God exists? I mean hard proof, not "Well someone had to make something so complex." 

Besides you can't disprove a negative. Prove to me that unicorns don't exist. You can't. 

Calling myself an Agnostic Atheist means I respect others beliefs. Unlike you.

i dont think he meant it in a offensive way hes just saying that all atheists are in the same boat as you

Jewish atheist? What now?

someone can be ethically jewish but not religiously. jew is a unique term in that it is both an ethnicity and a religion 

someone can be ethically jewish but not religiously. jew is a unique term in that it is both an ethnicity and a religion 

Didn't know that. Cheers!

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Guys. Keep it peaceful.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

How the hell are you Jewish and atheist at the same time? Kind of makes you not Jewish.

How the hell are you Jewish and atheist at the same time? Kind of makes you not Jewish.

You could call me an atheist christan. I celebrate Christmas , easter, and all of that. But don't believe in God, and don't go to church. I do it more of as a traditional thing.

I don't care who you are, what you like, what religion you are. If your nice to me, I'm nice to you.

To op, my uncle in law is a paramedic, and very religious. But my aunt is not at all. He goes to church when he can. She stays home. Apparently they were very good friends in highschool, but did not date because of their religious differences. They kept in touch all though med school, and dated others. They found that nobody was as good as each other, dated, and got married. In the beginning, the religious views held them back. They now have a fairy tale marriage. They have never fought, and love each other a lot.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

You could call me an atheist christan. I celebrate Christmas , easter, and all of that. But don't believe in God, and don't go to church. I do it more of as a traditional thing.

I don't care who you are, what you like, what religion you are. If your nice to me, I'm nice to you.

If you don't believe in God then you aren't a Christian. That's the core principle. Just because you celebrate those holidays doesn't mean it makes you a Christian.

But if religion is such a limiting factor, why not just get rid of it? ;)

It might not be the case nowadays, but religion is the basis of human ethics and morality. If people didn't fear a higher power what's stopping them from doing horrible things?

Did my post help you? Then make sure to rate it!

Check out my post on symbolic links! || PSU ranking and tiers || Pokemon Thread

It might not be the case nowadays, but religion is the basis of human ethics and morality. If people didn't fear a higher power what's stopping them from doing horrible things?

That's not true. It's basically saying if I was not Christan, I would be a cereal rapist and murderer. Our morals are taught by our parents. If your parents used the bible, that's fine, but generally it come from them. ☺

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

That's not true. It's basically saying if I was not Christan, I would be a cereal rapist and murderer. Our morals are taught by our parents. If your parents used the bible, that's fine, but generally it come from them. ☺

True, true. You won't become a serial killer if you don't believe in a religion. Like I said it's not so much the case nowadays.

It's the BASIS, however not the primary factor. I believe in the theory that religion was created to keep society under control, and it did (mostly). However, in the past hundred or so years where atheism has been on the increase, people base their morals on what they believe is right, which was affected by the original religion creators (IMO), and then was handed down generation by generation. I am anti-religion and an atheist, but that doesn't stop me from having morals and respecting opinions.

Remember, I said anti-religion, not anti-belief.

My mother is very religious to the point where she regularly goes to prayer meetings on wednesday, church practice and more prayer meetings on saturday and spends half the day at church on sunday.

I remember my brother telling my mom that his girlfriend has another religion and my mom told him it's okay and she respects it.

I also told her once that I can never be as religious as her to have that kind of devotion where she wakes up everyday at 3AM to kneel and pray and read the bible every day. She told me that I should never feel that I HAVE to do something for the lord because everything that you do should be selfless. She told me not compare my love for the lord and just do what I feel is right in serving him even if it's just a regular church mass on sunday as long as I'm doing it wholeheartedly.

Speaking for myself, I couldn't care less what my future girlfriend/spouse's religion is.

It's the BASIS, however not the primary factor. I believe in the theory that religion was created to keep society under control, and it did (mostly). However, in the past hundred or so years where atheism has been on the increase, people base their morals on what they believe is right, which was affected by the original religion creators (IMO), and then was handed down generation by generation. I am anti-religion and an atheist, but that doesn't stop me from having morals and respecting opinions.

Remember, I said anti-religion, not anti-belief.

Exactly what I mean. Thank you for summing that up. :)

Why can't the world have more amazing parents like yours? :(

Out of curiosity I tried asking her now on "what should I do when my significant other has no religion". She said first of all don't force her, that I should just slowly introduce her to GOD and if she still doesn't want to, it's okay as long as she do GOD's bidding which is to be loving, respectful and kind (she also said some other attributes I forgot but those are the main ones). She said her attitude will determine if she is from GOD (whether she knows it or not).

To op, my uncle in law is a paramedic, and very religious. But my aunt is not at all. He goes to church when he can. She stays home. Apparently they were very good friends in highschool, but did not date because of their religious differences. They kept in touch all though med school, and dated others. They found that nobody was as good as each other, dated, and got married. In the beginning, the religious views held them back. They now have a fairy tale marriage. They have never fought, and love each other a lot.

Agreed, I am not well educated in other religions unfortunately, but in Judaism, you do not need to believe in God, in fact I know many people who do not believe in God but are Jewish, because the core principal in Judaism is not believing in God (in my opinion anyway), people can not believe in God, yet still identify culturally and socially as a Jew. I am surprised there is a wiki article on it:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_atheism